Soldano HotMod, What's your opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrecoVee, Apr 17, 2008.

1. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Hey Guys, I'm thinking about getting one of these for my JCM 800 and JMP MV models. How do the current ones compare to the originals?
    Are they worth the $150. price tag?
    Anyone still useing an overdrive pedal with one? Or do they have enough gain to where you can just toss the od pedal?
    Opinions please!........:munch Thanks!!!!

2. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

It's more gain than you can imagine

If you want an instant modded Marshall - sure go for it. MV models work MUCH better.

Personally, I still prefer the opportunities a good gain pedal gives me.

3. anibas

anibas Member

You shoudn't need any kind of OD or distortion pedal with one of these!They seem to work best in JMP and 800 series Marshalls,not so good in non-master volume amps.I wasn't aware they were being made again?

4. donkers

donkers Member

that's a good question. i've been wondering myself. i've always wanted to ditch my OD pedal. is the distortion clear? because if i boost my DSL it's only for single note stuff, i usually disengage it for strumming chords because it gets muddy with it on. also, how does it affect your clean channel?

5. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

The Soldano Hot Mod is only for single channel amps. You couldn't use it in a DSL/TSL.

I personally love them in JMP/JCM 800's. Especially the ones using 6550 tubes. Huge distortion tones with pretty good articulation. Great for heavy rock to any type of metal.

6. donkers

donkers Member

oh bummer. i guess i can only get one for my sovtek mig then :(

7. randall g

randall g Member

Heard one a few times into a JMP - really turned it into a monster, gain wise. Added quite a bit of noise as well. I think Kasha makes something like that too.

8. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Well, I just shelled out $150. shipped for a new one on Ebay. I see that they're made by David Hicks. That's very reassuring! David Hicks is somewhat famous for amp repairs and mods in and around the Tulsa Ok. area and the mid west.

Oh yeah!, had one of the original Kasha "Quick Mods" a few years ago. Being a big Kasha pre amp fan, I had bought one for a red JCM 800 2203 I had at the time but didn't care for it. Very noisy, the built in EX loop did'nt work very well. Maybe I had a bad one, I don't know.

9. thenine

thenine Member

plz post your findings. I am interested in this as well.

10. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

I got mine from the same fella a few weeks back. I LOVE it. Kicks ass.. they are a pain to get in so don't plan on swapping them in and out.. hard to see where to line up the pins with the jcm800 shield fixed to the tube base. But it fits right in. A few things in my case:

6550's bias are set on my amp rather modestly so I don't get as much drive as others here I am sure.

With the hot mod, I don't run my preamp gain past 6 as I find it sounds a tad flubby. With el34's it might also sound raspy and flubby.

For leads, I still boost with a clean boost from my BB preamp (finally a use for this thing lol) with a smidget of gain for taste. I am running a low output single coil in the neck though.

To me this is pretty much similar to a guy like Lynch running his modded marshalls with a pedal on the front end as a boost.

Oh and it does sound different and better than a pedal. With my plexi clone, I have to stack overdrives to get the gain up where i like it at times because i don't like the sound of running a lot of gain on my OD pedals. Mushes things up and compresses the tone. In short, it gives you a hot rodded marshall tone without devaluing an early 80's amp.Wayy cheaper than sending the amp top be modded if you think about it... I've come to the conclusion that a modded marshall with a clean boost for leads is the ticket. Too much preamp gain compresses and fizzes out your tone. Its no surprise you see the 80's gods doing things this way. Look down at their pedal boards, there is always something there boosting.

This is just my ear though. Overall, the hot mod gets a :BEER. Its awesome.

11. Edmundo

Edmundo Member

These were built by Hicks Manufacturing for a little while. I used to have a modded one that I bought from a Hicks employee...he epoxied a master volume pot to the side of the unit. Talk about cool. My Marshall reissue 50w went from stock to high gain with a master volume in 2.3 seconds. I had trouble finding decent 6K11 tubes so I sold it.

12. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

The thing I don't understand is.. do the tubes burn out at all? If essentially a preamp tube, should we even be worried about having to have spares around? There are still original first generation hot mods floating around so i'd think they hold up pretty well.

13. Edmundo

Edmundo Member

The tubes used in Hot Mods are triple triodes, and they burn out just like any other tube.

14. JMP2203

JMP2203 Member

if you are going to use a hotmod with a 2203/2204 i recomend a 5751 in v1 and a 6k11 on the hotmod,

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

If I had an 800 I'd definately give this plug and play device a shot! Bob

16. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Any reason for this? Does it lower initial gain? And how does the 6K11 differ?

My biggest question is, say it does burn out, how easy are the tubes to swap? I am assuming that they are a tube that can be removed from the "device" and replaced with another once you remove the wrapping around the outside? I love mine, would hate it to burn out.

17. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

I've got all the parts to build one minus the tube... Id like to hear some before and after clips when you get it.. (they can be built for about $30 including the tube)

18. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Cool!, that's funny!, I just bought a used BB pre amp pedal earlier today!!! A/B'ed it with my Keeley GE stacked modded SD-1 into my JMP 50watt MV Marshall. Hard to tell yet which pedal I like better. Only have had it for a few hours. Will play around with in more this weekend.
    Can't wait to get the HotMod! I'm sure I'll be running my rig the way you run yours, with the HotMod and a pedal.