Soldano HotRod 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by clapointe, Sep 26, 2005.

1. clapointe

clapointe Member

How good is the clean channel on the low input of the Soldano HotRod 50 ? Plus at only 50 watts I'd be able to do with it than my 5150 II(120 watts). I've got an offer to trade my mint 5150 II for the Soldano ?

2. Timmo

Timmo Member

What "clean"?
    There ain't no clean on a Hot Rod 50.
    The dirty is fun though.............:cool:

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

+1

The HR50 is a single channel amp. The HR50+ is a channel switcher. The HR50 doesn't clean up well if you're gonna take advantage of its gain. I dunno about the cleans on the HR50+ but when I owned a Decatone, they were okay.

4. clapointe

clapointe Member

I thought the low input jack was the clean channel ???

5. JWK

JWK Member

Yeah, I had one. The only "clean" you can get out of the low input is flat, one dimensional cardboard sounding. Once I understood how the circuit was set up I saw why and sold it.

Very good high gain thing on a budget, IMO. One trick pony, though.

6. JWK

JWK Member

No, there is no clean channel. The low input just goes to the second gain stage, which is set up to be driven and distorted by the input (high) gain stage. It's not a "channel" at all and hardly a proper input stage either, again IMO.

7. clapointe

clapointe Member

I think I'll hold on to my 5150II.The clean channel is decent (not great but good) on the 5150II.

8. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Years ago, I went from a 5150 head to a Soldano Hot Rod 50 head and hated it. I wanted to like it because it said "Soldano" on the front, but I just didn't dig it at all.

Chris

9. JWR

JWR Member

I recently picked up a Soldano Hot Rod 50. I tried the low input, and it sounds ok, I just don't have a need for it. I think it is a really good amp for the "no bells and whistles" category.

If you have an offer to trade, perhaps you could try them both side by side into the same cab? That would be the optimum test.

10. clapointe

clapointe Member

Are the Soldano amps still hand made ?

11. rgt320

rgt320 Guest

+1 --- I'll just add, that I never cared for the Soldano (HR or SLO) tone. The amps have this very brittle (almost shrill) sounding top-end, that I could never dial out enough of to satisfy me.

12. JWR

JWR Member

Gosh, I really like this amp. I did go through it and retube the whole thing with some quality NOS tubes, and it is properly set up. There is definately high end, low end, and gain to spare. If I remember correctly, none of my tone settings are above 6 or 7 and the gain is usually between 4 and 6, (well, maybe 7 for VH). For the money, I think it's the best value I have run across in a long, long time.

Note that I can't really speak to the 5150, I have only tried them in the stores and must admit I could not figure out how to get a sound I liked out of it. I'm sure they sound good, I just could not dial in anything in the time I put into demoing it.