Soldano HR50+ effects loop questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sacredgrooves, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Sacredgrooves

Sacredgrooves Member

The loop on this is tube buffered unlike the SLO. Does that make it more friendly to instrument level pedals? I have a TC Electronic G-Sharp, but not real happy with the "depth" of the reverb and modulation effects. It is their cheapest rack gear, so looking over options for improvement. I do not want to blame TC as these amps are known to have PITA loops, but my lack of basic understanding on what is or isn't a good idea is sending me in more directions than I can research lol.

This is what I have considered:

Bad Cat Unleash and run verb/mod effects through it. (this would also help with "bedroom volume, I don't play with other musicians all that often)

TC Hall of Fame Verb pedal and either a Flashback or MXR Carbon Copy in the existing loop (or maybe the Eventide verbs and delay pedals)

Going with higher quality rack gear like Lexicon or Chandler.

I unplugged the G-Sharp from the loop and running the amp naked has much better tone, spank and punch. Maybe even stepping up to a better TC rack like the Nova or G-Major which I believe have more ability on controlling input/output levels. I always just plugged in and played, but seem to getting on a tone chasing spree and my lack of knowledge can get expensive trying to experiment lol.

2. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

The SLO loop is buffered. Same circuit as the HR+.

3. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Hate to say it but your pretty much out of luck with the Soldano Loops no matter what you use

I have an SLO and it is the worst loop ever

It's not the whole line level thing (which limits many pedals) it is where the loop is placed in the circut which is the killer.
    No matter what you use, under mid to higher gain, your delays/reverbs etc. will be drowned out "while you are playing"

I bought a Badcat Unleash to help remedy this, but the Unleash just changes the tone and feel of the amp too much for me.

So straight in is all that is left for me (Other than a wet/dry set up which isnt always realistic on smaller stages plus a lot of extra gear to haul around)

4. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

The loop is high level. You can reduce the level going out by changing a resistor value and boost the return stage with a cathode bypass cap. You can ask Soldano for instructions.

Regardless, the loop is still pre-eq.

5. JB6464

JB6464 Member

The problem is that the loop design is Pre-EQ and +4db line level designed.
    Beware of some units , even some of the expensive rack units can't handle +4db levels any different than certain pedals .
    As for pedals I found the MXR Carbon Copy & Stereo Chorus pedals work and TC pedals as well work in the loop since they can handle line level inputs .

6. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Another solution... just stick a volume pedal in front of the fx unit and turn up the masters on the amp.

7. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

It's not just overall volume. The power section needs to see the +4dB level.

8. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

The power section gets whatever level it receives off the master pot wiper. Just turn up the masters if you want the power section to see more level.

9. Sacredgrooves

Sacredgrooves Member

I went ahead and bought an Unleash and will see how it goes. If all else fails, always had my eye on a Bogner as a second amp...

10. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

If not the new power station from Fryette looks amazing.