Soldano News?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by easyed, Jun 28, 2018.

1. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

I guess if Mike is in his early 60's then he'll be thinking pretty hard about his future, involving retirement/superannuation.
    An obvious guess will be he enters into a licensing agreement with B.A.D to fund this.
    Best of luck to a hell of a nice guy to chat with, who compromised on absolutely nothing and was one of the OG high gain innovators.

2. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

This interests me. $700 to mod an older SLO with the new loop. It ain't cheap!

Nick.Royale likes this.
  3. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

A new SLO with the newer loop I believe costs definitely several hundred dollars as an upgrade. I don’t remember if it was 300 or 400 or 600 but it did raise my eyebrows.

4. Jay Axis

Jay Axis Silver Supporting Member

I still want to have my SLO modded to switch the loop out of the signal path. I have no use for the loop since I slave out or use a line out box to send to effects and re-amp for W/D or W/D/W. No loop on earth can compete with that. I’ve heard the SLO sounds good without any loop.

5. Daprofessor

Daprofessor Supporting Member

The most important thing that Mike can do at this point is to go with B.A.D and maybe he will get this message.

1. Create a SLO v2 with all the modern and important upgrades (loop, master volume, DC heaters) while preserving the best of the original (pre amp/transformer/quality components).

2. Reduce the price of the SLO and the potential SLO v2. That SLO price is ridiculous and that's coming from a guy (ME) who buys ridiculously priced amps. Well relatively speaking. Your amps will have a much shorter shelf life that will encourage merchants to carry your flagship (SLO), especially the online merchants, where the future lies. I have seen a SLO sitting at a local guitar store for years with an asking price that's at least $ 5,000 and dropped from an online merchant's catalog.

It's time to do things different so you can refocus on what's important to you and consider your later years. After what you've been through in this industry, you deserve it more than anyone.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  6. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Member

I think he just felt it was not his place to make a statement either way. I wouldn't read too much into that.

7. White Buffalo

White Buffalo Supporting Member

Is the BAD thing just speculation at this point?
    I've been gearing up to get an SLO for years now- maybe high time I finally did.
    A birth year '89 SLO would be cool- or are the newer ones better?

8. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Yes. But it's clearly happening.

9. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

Yes, hopefully he sees this and takes your advice. Then he might just have a chance at a career in amp design and manufacturing.

10. john l

john l Member

Lol Right!

I personally consider BAD to be a step sideways... not really a step back but definitely not a step forward. The plus side is that theyre based in the USA and appear to be using reasonably qualified people to build and assemble the products. The downside is that the niche BAD fills is taking products that were being built by people that were flat out experts with these specific circuits that focused solely on them for years and ramp them up to be mass produced by guys that are stuffing boards for all the other companies that BAD builds for. Mass Production will always equate to corners being cut.

teveinsene likes this.
  11. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    I rather Soldano size something up in preparation for his retirement, if this is actually happening. Would be such a shame for the business to cease with his retirement. BAD may be the most viable option for all involved.

Vai81, GilmourD and Bluplirst like this.
  12. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

Update - no news: The "For Sale" sign is still up - no "Sold" sticker. The shop is in a district zoned Industrial/Commercial and the market in the Interbay (Seattle) location isn't all that hot right now. Property and business taxes are exorbitant here. The local transit (light rail) tax on car tabs is really huge.

13. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Dave Friedman puts out a "for rent" sign on his shop. Nice marketing to boost summer sales! :D

eigentone, Husky, Kelly and 2 others like this.
  14. Daprofessor

Maybe it isn't happening- so this is all fun speculation. But, amp designers are not getting rich on designing and building amps. It's a difficult business to make a living in, and is not guaranteed to be sustainable. But smart changes can be beneficial when amp designers pool their resources to provide their products.

Bill Flannegan (Klon) created an amazing overdrive/boost pedal. But he ran out of components, worked over 60 hours a week, had a small profit margin, and ran out of steam in building his masterpiece. Other pedal builders are profiting by either mass producing replicas, or hand building replicas, while he gets no financial benefit from those who replicate his product. He would be better off, if he made the move to B.A.D. as they mass produce pedals as well.

Tony Bruno, a TGP darling amp builder, created some amazing boutique amps. He is no longer building amps due to health reasons and never got rich from his designs. I hear he was very stubborn and would not do things differently, whatever that means. He would have benefited from a B.A.D move as he would still have a flow of income from the sale of his amps while being ill, if people still were interested in them.

Sadly, Mike Soldano, got screwed over by a major amp manufacturer who copied his preamp and mass produced an amp with a different power section that was immensely popular. The amp manufacturer gave that amp for free to various local artist in Seattle. Mike couldn't sell a single SLO to those artist as they were already happy to be hooked up by the manufacturer that copied his preamp. That is messed up.

I realize, it may not be fashionable to be smart these days, but B.A.D is actually a sensible move. I hope this rumor turns out to be true.

jkr and jdel77 like this.
  15. Vai81

Vai81 Member

...... come on man :facepalm

Zatyricon, Daprofessor and jdel77 like this.
  16. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

Who he? - a klone of Bill Finnegan?

17. GilmourD

GilmourD Member

I work and am surrounded by family and friends in the education field. He's not wrong.

Stu Blue likes this.
  18. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

You all are assuming that Mike does not have other better opportunities outside of his amplification business.

Example and grossly exaggerating:

Elon Musk wants to use the proprietary Soldano DeYoung tranny in the Model 4.

New military division Space Force contract Mikes to hardwire nstrument panels for new fusion powered vehicles.

Kylie Jenner contracts the sheet metal work for lipstick containers to Soldano.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  19. Daprofessor

That's good to know. He's a great and genuine guy- one of the good ones in my opinion. I've always enjoyed talking to him about amps, whish him all the best.

20. AmitR

AmitR Member

Can someone explain to me whats the meaning of that B.A.D in regard to the construction of Soldano’s amps? Why many people so concern of that?