soldano SLO-100 depth mod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtr777, Aug 4, 2005.

1. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

Has any one had the depth mod done to an SLO-100 or ever played through one that had it done. I was thinking about making this mod to my head as I would like some more bottom end from it but would like to know what is thought about it...Thanks for any advise!!!

2. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Had them both.
    Like the one with the Depth mod better, however you can get close by replacing the output tubes with KT66's in yours.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

No experience with a SLO but I've done a fixed depth mod on a Yamaha T100 and owned a Decatone that comes with a variable depth control. It works as advertised.

It won't give the amp Recto-like low end chug but it does fill things out.

4. sws1

sws1 Member

I had one. It's kinda like a bass control that should have always been there. The amp is bright with not alot of low-end punch. This depth knob allows you to add some.

5. Randy

Randy Member

Mine has KT-66's and the depth mod. As others have said it adds thickness and girth. It won't add sub-sonic bass like an Uberschall, but it does add beef to the low mids. Best of all it frees up the bass control, meaning you don't have to run the bass so high that the low end gets boomy. I wouldn't want a SLO without it.

6. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

How else did you find the KT-66's affect the tone? I always thought they were more "aggressive" sounding which I'm not sure I would want.

Thanks for the quick replies...My amp will be taking a trip to see Mike in Seattle

7. Randy

Randy Member

Sorry, I can't tell you - this is my first and only SLO so I don't know what one sounds like without them. I can tell you mine has plenty of thickness and bottom, which SLO's are usually not known for so I'd say they add low mids.

8. GREATPHARO

GREATPHARO Senior Member

The idea that slos are not known for girth or bottom end is a myth. Just like the CAE since they are very similar amps it needs toi be cranked to get the goods. Just because an amp has a master volume doesnt mean you are going to get the good stuff by cranking the pre and setting the master below 3.

I have had many SLOs since 87 and all of them were monsters when used properly. To date I have a stock rackmount SLO and SLO 1BMF. 1BMF has the depth mod but the only time it is needed when it is played at bedroom volumes. Once the master is over 5 the amp has more then enough depth, thickness, girth or whatever elkse you want to call it. Almost as much as the CAE
    and I have never played an amp that sounds bigger than the CAE OD 100.

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

An SLO on 5 through any reasonably efficient speakers is absurdly loud. I've owned more than 1, and even with Bogner 4x12's, in my soundproofed basement at any volume I could tolerate, the amp lacked bass without the depth mod. Why do you think the mod is so popular? Besides, why offer such a useless post? The guy *has* the amp, it lacks bottom end *for him* and he asking about the mod.

10. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

I had the mod done to my SLO100.
    Yes, its worth getting.
    It doesn't get into the Uberschall type thing, but its quite cool.

11. GREATPHARO

GREATPHARO Senior Member

Hardly a useless post and like I said if you are in a "basement" with the amp and standing in the same room that can hardly be a decent recording volume.

And by the way, the mod was offered because bedroom players were complaining the amp didnt have enough "bottom end" I use it through a Bogner 2x12 oversize and its more than enough bottom end for anyone thats ever wanted to record with that amp in my studio.

Thanks for your thoughts though Lou.

12. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yeah and they are not all created equal. I played two that were very different sounding. But they don't sound good at all until they are ear splitting loud. I sold mine.

I had one with the depth and it helped. But SLO's do usually lack lows, or maybe it's that they're so toppy that it seems the lows are weak. They are sort've sluggish amp imo. But when you add more lows it can get real soggy if you ain't careful.

13. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

I had 2 SLO's. One stock and one with depth mod.
    They both pale in comparison to either my OD 100 or OD 50 in every aspect. I use to crank the hell out of them to make them sound acceptable.
    I would never buy another Soldano amp again. I also had a few of the preamps that I sold as fast as I bough...They just have a lifeless, shrill sound that any slightly modded JCM800 can produce.
    But the OD's are by far the biggest, most 3D amps I've ever owned...
    JMHO
    Steve

14. lv

lv Supporting Member

Re-read the original posters message. He thinks *his amp* lacks bottom end - in whatever situation *he* is in, he's asking about a mod and you haven't said anything about the mod, just "turn up, dude". Please show me how you have helped him with your posts.

Based on the other posts here, you're the only one who thinks the amp has enough bottom end. Maybe for you it does, or maybe you're just used to thinner sounding amps.

And apparently you're unable to read - in a soundproofed basement, I *can* turn it up as loud as I want, and it still lacks bottom end, for *me*.

You crack me up, "standing in the same room"? Its obviously too low? So I need to turn it up so loud that I cannot be in the same room with it? Then it will have enough bass?

15. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

Didn't mean to start a brawl in here...LOL!!!

I do notice that the amp does sound better when you open it up (what amp doesn't). I usually have it between 5 and 6 with the gain about three quaters and it's loud, especially in the clubs I'm playing. I don't need to add a ridiculous ammount of bottom - it just needs some more "umph" to it. Also on the rare occasion that I switch to the clean channel it would be nice for that to be thicker as well....Thanks for all the helpful insights!!!

16. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The KT-66 in general is a darker sounding tube. It will not have near the high end of a EL-34 or 6L6. I bet in a Soldano they would sound kick ass. My experience with Kt-66's is with the Dr.Z Route 66. I really like the sound of these tubes, but some people think they are tubby sounding. It probably all depende upon the circuit they are in. I'd try it, just make sure the trannies can handle it, I think they draw more ideal current and can be biased a little hotter then the 6l6's from what I remember.

17. Randy

Randy Member

Well then I guess EVH, Lynch, DeMartini, Vai, Clapton, Warren Haynes and the host of other SLO users must all have tin ears :rolleyes:

18. gearo999

gearo999 Member

:D Yeah, and what about the other 200 amps you owned in the past year:dude

I dare say you won't down size to just the OD (nice amps) and not buy anything else ;)

19. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Yeah, but also remember, that not a single one of them plug directly into them.
    I's amazing how you can get any amp to sound great with a million in production...:D
    I've seen GL in the studio, and his SLO's are run through about a half dozen pedals and a 20 space rack...
    I've never seen EVH or Vai use a SLO, nor ever heard of them using one.
    Clapton.... well I just don't listen to him, so I don't know....

But anyone can make a Fender Blues Jr sound like a wall of sound in the studio when it's done right...
    JMHO
    Steve

20. Randy

Randy Member

I see, so even though these are world reknown players who could use any amp in the world, they decided to go with a lifeless, shrill SLO but completely mask it with effects and studio wizardry. Makes sense...... NOT! :p