• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

soldano SLO-100 depth mod

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
I'm fairly certain I remember Mike Soldano telling me that he originally designed the SLO with (what are now) NOS Philips 6L6GC's.
Those tube have a warmer fatter tone with more low end than the Sovtek 5881's that they replaced them with.
The depth mod was added in part to compensate for the low end loss that occur by switching these tubes.

SteveVHT

Originally posted by Randy
I see, so even though these are world reknown players who could use any amp in the world, they decided to go with a lifeless, shrill SLO but completely mask it with effects and studio wizardry. Makes sense...... NOT! :p
Like I said... Just because it records well, doesn't mean it sounds good live...
Listen to V30 speakers live, and them miced... They love the mic, but hurt your ears live...

Like I said, I'm not flaming anything....
JMHO=Just MY Honest opinion. So don't get your panties in a bunch.....

I apologize for having my own opinion......
Maybe you could come over and give me directions on how to raise my son while you're at it...
Steve

lv

Silver Supporting Member
I don't listen to any of the bands listed other than Warren Haynes. His tone on the first CD all SLO, very little effects. It sounds that way in the room as well. I have an SLO clip in my sig, that amp has the WH and Depth mod - nothing thin about it and it sounds very similar in the room as well. I stayed away from Soldano for years thinking they were buzzy 80 metal amps, but the depth/WH mods and dialing the mids and treble down and they are very thick sounding amps. IMO.

Randy

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by SteveLINY
Like I said... Just because it records well, doesn't mean it sounds good live...
Listen to V30 speakers live, and them miced... They love the mic, but hurt your ears live...

Actually you didn't say that, plus I like V30s live so....

Like I said, I'm not flaming anything.... JMHO=Just MY Honest opinion. So don't get your panties in a bunch.....

I don't wear panties - you must have me confused with some other guy you know :p As far as not flaming anything.... I routinely see you jumping into every Soldano thread you see to let everyone know they are shrill, harsh whatever. I'm sure if someone was regularly doing this to VHT's or OD-100's you'd have something to say about it.

I apologize for having my own opinion......

No need to - I'm just trying to point out that many others who actually make a living playing guitar have the exact opposite opinion.

Maybe you could come over and give me directions on how to raise my son while you're at it...

No thanks! :D

Too bad I can't seem to convey a sense of humor over the net, cause if I could you'd see I'm only breaking your stones a little - all in fun. You don't like Soldano's, I didn't care for the OD-100. In the end, what does it matter?

I just find it much more beneficial to everyone if players spend less time slagging what they don't like and more time promoting what they do like. That way panty wearers don't have to worry about that uncomfortable knotting condition.

No hard feelings amigo?

kingink

Okay, I'm not trying to get involved in an argument here, just to chime in regarding gtr777's original question. These are some observations based on owning Soldanos since 1992.

The way I see it, the lead channel of the SLO-type circuit (never had the SLO, just Hot Rods) has a lot of gain, and gain tends to eat high end, so the mid and treble control on Soldanos have a lot of high end to compensate.

I"ve got a Hot Rod 100 XL. The XL circuit is like having the depth mod without a pot to control the amount of depth. In other words, the XL mod is like the depth mod turned all the way up, all the time. It does help fatten the clean channel, but I think it's too much on the crunch channel. It makes the distortion channel kind of muffled sounding, and slows the attack.

So, if/when you get your depth mod, and I think you should give it a try, you'll probably want to use it conservatively.

However, my Hot Rod 50 is the single channel, non-XL circuit, and I find it can get pretty thick sounding with the gain at 9 and the master to taste (I run it at 8--Bill Sundt told me the power tubes don't really start cookin' until you put the master at 8 or 9), while retaining snap and beautiful harmonics. No, it does not have the thump of a Boogie Rectifier, I guess, but it's enough thump for me. I let the bass guitar take care of the rest.

All of this depends on guitars and speakers, however. What kind of pickups, guitar, speakers, and cab(s) are you using? Also, how old are the power tubes? That can make the amp sound weaker, volume and tone wise.

I've got this cheap strat copy, and I've been experimenting with hot strat bridge pickups (Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Solo, SK S-90, Dimarzio Fast Track, Duncan George Lynch Lil Screamin' Demon). I'm using two Earcandy cabinets right now, both loaded with Eminence Legend V16s. These aren't the greatest speaks in the world, but they do add some lows and low mids. With this set up, I run the HR50 like this: gain 6-8, bass 5-8, mid 2-3, treble 2-3, master 8-9, presence 0.

As a general rule of thumb, the higher I turn the gain, the lower I turn the bass, and vice versa. With the gain and bass up, I can get some reasonable palm muting effects.

If I'm using a thicker-bodied guitar with hot humbuckers, I tend to back off on the gain control, somewhere between 3-5.

The extreme treble and mid settings may seem odd, but with my Fenders (Bassmans and a Princeton Reverb), I tend to cut the bass almost entirely if I'm pushing the amp into distortion.

I hope some of this info is useful, gtr777. Again, I'm not discouraging you from getting the depth mod. Get it, and see how you like it. You'll be poorer financially, but richer in knowlege. :)

David

GREATPHARO

Interesting all the "opinions" being offered but my opnion is useless? I doubt it. I have over 35 high end amps including the stock original CAE OD 100 and the SH SE OD100 for your info Steve and in case you were not aware they are very similar in design. In fact the X88r was designed by John and Bob and given to Michael to produce. Mark Camerons words exactly "why would I get a CAE it is nothing more than an SLO.

I will say it again in my opinion if you can not get enough "low end" from an SLO you are not using it properly.

GREATPHARO

Oh and Lou perhaps it is you that has reading comprehension issues. As I stated in my post, there have been many, many players in my studio besides myself that felt the same ways as I do. The SLO is a phenominal amp. Hardly a thin sounding amp. Maybe it was the guitar you used.

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by GREATPHARO
Oh and Lou perhaps it is you that has reading comprehension issues. As I stated in my post, there have been many, many players in my studio besides myself that felt the same ways as I do. The SLO is a phenominal amp. Hardly a thin sounding amp. Maybe it was the guitar you used.
dude, you just don't get it - step back to the original post and ask yourself how you've helped the guy out.

Let me just state this very simply for you: the amp doesn't have enough bottom end for the initial posters preferences, or mine.

Your posts are so condescending its silly - we aren't using the amp properly? Maybe, just maybe, all the guys that think the amp lacks bottom end, have different tonal preferences than you.

And yes, your opinion is useless becasue the guy asked about a mod he is considering and you haven't commented on it in any of your posts. All you've added is how we are all using the amp wrong. You're just defending the amp because your ego is attached to it.

SteveVHT

Originally posted by GREATPHARO
Interesting all the "opinions" being offered but my opnion is useless? I doubt it. I have over 35 high end amps including the stock original CAE OD 100 and the SH SE OD100 for your info Steve and in case you were not aware they are very similar in design. In fact the X88r was designed by John and Bob and given to Michael to produce. Mark Camerons words exactly "why would I get a CAE it is nothing more than an SLO.

I will say it again in my opinion if you can not get enough "low end" from an SLO you are not using it properly.
I hear you, but I also think Camerons are horrible amps too...:D:D:D

JMHO

GREATPHARO

but I also think Camerons are horrible amps too...
Not really the point though. Mark Cameron is an excellent technician and he recognizes the circuit design in the SLO and the CAE as being the same.

The point is is the amp has the goods in their it just needs to be setup properly even if that means different tubes which in some cases it does.

The depth mod is not needed in my opinion because it doesnt add "low end" it changes the entire curve of the eq and starts sounding undefined or woofy.

GREATPHARO

Your posts are so condescending its silly
That seems somewhat ironic don't you think. I commented on my opinion of that amp my many experiences with it and the idea that it doesnt have enough "low end".

You on the other hand chimed in with I am not offering anything useful.

The most useful thing that can be offered has already been said. Don't get the mod. If that amp doesnt have enough "low end" for you get something else.

Hows that Lou? Does that meet your standards of satisfactory help?

Gee I hope so.

buddastrat

Originally posted by Randy
Well then I guess EVH, Lynch, DeMartini, Vai, Clapton, Warren Haynes and the host of other SLO users must all have tin ears :rolleyes:
Well, I never see any of those guys still using them. It's all subjective but EVH's and Clapton's tones were very buzzy during their SLO stints.

I saw Warren H. on Letterman or some talk show and it was very buzzy and all preamp fizz. I looked and seen a silver SLO behind him. Then I watched the Allman Bros. tour from last year and he's using that Marshall head with a pedal and it kills.

Lynch used everything under the sun so that's out.

I'll take Clapton's early Cream tone, and any of VH's tones with David Lee, btw!

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by buddastrat
Well, I never see any of those guys still using them. It's all subjective but EVH's and Clapton's tones were very buzzy during their SLO stints.

I saw Warren H. on Letterman or some talk show and it was very buzzy and all preamp fizz. I looked and seen a silver SLO behind him. Then I watched the Allman Bros. tour from last year and he's using that Marshall head with a pedal and it kills.

Lynch used everything under the sun so that's out.

I'll take Clapton's early Cream tone, and any of VH's tones with David Lee, btw!
just curious, does the "Slow it down" clip in my signature sound buzzy?

gtr777

Silver Supporting Member
If you look at the initial peavey 5150 wasn't that basically a rip of an slo-100. I always called it the poor man's SLO. Another note the someone said is that they never saw vai play an SLO. The SLO that I have is the one he used on his Sex and Religion tour.
It's a rackmounted version with a purple matalic front. I asked mike once and he said he only made around 45 of the rackmount versions.

Again I would like to thank everyone for the comments. I think I'll take my chances with the mod..hell, It can always be removed..right???

Thanks again to everybody!!!

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by gtr777

Again I would like to thank everyone for the comments. I think I'll take my chances with the mod..hell, It can always be removed..right???

Thanks again to everybody!!!
Not only can it be removed, Bill Sundt told me that when you turn it completely off, it has no effect on the tone of the amp. I had a clip of the SLO with the knob off and then immediately A/B'd with it turned up a bit, I'll see if I can find it. Either way, I think you'll like it.

lv

Silver Supporting Member
added the SLO stock vs mods clip to my sig link below. SM57 on the vintage 30. I forgot how awesome the SLO sounds!:D

6AM

If you get the Depth mod of the WH mod you can always turn them off and the amp will work as original. I'm not sure why you'd want to though. The amp sounds a lot better with the mods on than off.

jharpersj

Gold Supporting Member
My vote is get the depth knob, mine has haynes depth scoop and loop, I really only use the depth but the other mods are cool.
BTW due to a few bills I am considering selling this mint loaded slow with Deyoung trannies for $2K if anyone is interested.

jharpersj@comcast.net

rkstarr

wh mod..you dont really even nedd the depth for over bedroom levels..since it was in my rehearsal studio..it was never need..and
i occasionally used a boss 10 bander for low mids..but even that wasnt needed...the amp has the most string clarity..musicality..and oomph..than any other amo..i owned a bruno100..which had great sustain..cut liek a knife..great tone..but there was always something i miss about the slo..and those who say the crunch or clean channel suck are crazy..the crunch pushed is better than the bogner blue channel..its simply musical..the clean needs to be fully cranked..and it reasonable..
gary moore sounds the best when playing a slo..or look at montrose..f****ing killer tones...really this amp is the pinnacle of rock amps.....although im jonesing for an od 50 soon..thats not the point

Jim S

Platinum Supporting Member
Originally posted by SteveLINY

I've never seen EVH or Vai use a SLO, nor ever heard of them using one.
EVH used an '89 SLO for years and in particular it's on the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" CD, the "On Top of the World" solo.

Vai used them live.

But anyone can make a Fender Blues Jr sound like a wall of sound in the studio when it's done right...
JMHO
Steve
Agreed.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom