soldano SLO-100 depth mod

Jim S

Platinum Supporting Member
Could be my perception is off. I've been playing a lot of bass lately. But it's a fun mod and I like it so far.

jonleonbass

It is interesting to read all of these posts.
I think the key thing that alot of guitarists do not consider is
1-what tuning are you in, and what is the style of music?
2-how will it sit in the mix and what your bass players tone is/will be.
Granted.....alot of times guitarists are by themselves at lower volumes jamming. When that is the case-an amp can only be judged based on that circumstance.
The true measure of an amp on a pro level is where it sits in a mix and how it sounds relative to your ENTIRE band.
Hear an slo exclusively on WWW.MYSPACE.COM/WHITEWIZZARD
I am the bassist-and my tone through an SVT at 440 tuning with my guitarists just works.The whole recording of rhythm guitars is a gibson v w/standard humbuckers through an slo. Our style is older school feel good melodic metal. The slo is perfect for our style and tuning-and a depth mod would be pointless....
If your tuning in 440 or e flat-
Your style is that feel good more nice top end older style of hard rock/metal that sits on top of the mix and feels and reacts with that certain something in 440 tuning that is missing from most heavier down tuned metal/rock.
And your bassists tone matters alot. If your bassist has the fingers and amp that are the magic and glue.......the depth mod is meaningless in those situations. If anything-it will clutter up things and take away from the dynamics.

On the other hand-if your a guitarist on your own wanting full gratification-and your volume is always lower and you want to enjoy that-get the mod.......if it does not effect anything else about the amps tone-what the hell.
also-If your in a lower tuning and doing that more modern new metal or bro metal etc...this amp is not for you or you should get the depth mod if you must keep it. But-
Guys that downtune should buy a bogner ubershall or a deizel etc...they are designed with that sound and tuning in mind....where as the soldano slo is like getting the sweetest marshall sounds with the ability of high gain without the loss of dynamics......it is less forgiving and your fingers have the final say.
Either way-if your a pro and not just a guy with money playing guitar in his bedroom for kicks......all amps must be judged in a mix on stage and in the studio before a concise review can be done.

cisspcism

Didn't mean to start a brawl in here...LOL!!!

I do notice that the amp does sound better when you open it up (what amp doesn't). I usually have it between 5 and 6 with the gain about three quaters and it's loud, especially in the clubs I'm playing. I don't need to add a ridiculous ammount of bottom - it just needs some more "umph" to it. Also on the rare occasion that I switch to the clean channel it would be nice for that to be thicker as well....Thanks for all the helpful insights!!!
Just get a maxon eq pedal , put it in the loop and boost the 200hz range to thicken up the sound. Thats what I have to do. Otherwise the amp sounds thin. Crank the mids also helps, but also remember increasing the bass doesnt really thicken up the tone, if anything it can make the amp sound more scooped

Paul86

Hey Lou,
Thank you very much! Now I want another amp I can't afford!
Great clips.
I don't know what people hear in Soldanos, I once saw Warren Haynes live, and he was plugging into one - the angels spoke that night! What a sound!
Then you go and buy the CD (live or studio) - what a sound!
Well, it's what they say, different strokes and all the rest...

cisspcism

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=2722258
first i play with the haynes and depth off, then I quickly turn the haynes mod on and the depth knob up till about 9:00 (barely on). I go back and forth between a few passages, it is obvious when the mods are engaged vs off.

here, you can hear the amp with the mods on in a mix: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=1615583

imo, the depth and haynes mods are essential for thicker, creamier tones.
What were your settings? When the mods were off it sounded good, I wonder if my slo 100 is just bad cause mine is bright. To get the tone you had I would have had to have had the bass at noon, mids at 9 0clock and treb 9 O clock and presence off. Mine is not modded. I even have a JJ at v2 and have volume at 6 and preamp gain at 5 on overdrive channel.

lv

Silver Supporting Member
What were your settings? When the mods were off it sounded good, I wonder if my slo 100 is just bad cause mine is bright. To get the tone you had I would have had to have had the bass at noon, mids at 9 0clock and treb 9 O clock and presence off. Mine is not modded. I even have a JJ at v2 and have volume at 6 and preamp gain at 5 on overdrive channel.
I recorded that years ago, but for sure the treble and presence were both off. Mids were probably at 9:00 - I find you need to turn the mids down to get more thickness as the mid freq seems pretty high. Cab was a 4x12 with G12H and Vin 30s - pretty sure I mic'd the V30.

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Hey Lou,
Thank you very much! Now I want another amp I can't afford!
Great clips.
I don't know what people hear in Soldanos, I once saw Warren Haynes live, and he was plugging into one - the angels spoke that night! What a sound!
Then you go and buy the CD (live or studio) - what a sound!
Well, it's what they say, different strokes and all the rest...
Glad you enjoyed them. My fav WH tone is on the 1st Gov't Mule album, which has the SLO all over it. Great tone.

guitarvc

I never got the depth mod because Mike feels it makes the amp sound muddy. I used KT66 tubes in mine and loved the way it sounded. It doesnt make sense to try to get bass frequencies out of a guitar amp. I let the bass player handle those. I like a nice tight low end with a strong midrange and top end sizzle. Guitars are midrange and top end instruments. Thats just me!

cisspcism

I recorded that years ago, but for sure the treble and presence were both off. Mids were probably at 9:00 - I find you need to turn the mids down to get more thickness as the mid freq seems pretty high. Cab was a 4x12 with G12H and Vin 30s - pretty sure I mic'd the V30.
I found to thicken up the sound you can either increase alot or decrease alot the mids, I know it doesnt make sense. I also kinda think the bass does more to decrease low mids than it increases bass.

I get anal sometimes, I think its stupid to have to have trebl off to make an amp sound good, its like why even have it at all if you cant use it.

Trending Topics