Soldano SLO 100 owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cisspcism, Jun 23, 2008.

1. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

is it me or does this amp have barely any mids to it? I mean I have to keep treble and bass around 4 and push the mids to about 8 or 9 just to make the amp not sound so thin. Plus I have to keep the presence completely off. I just find it to be a very thin bright amp, but I am hesitent to get rid off it since so many people love it. Its not bad when dialed this way but a eq in the loop with an extra boost of 200hz helps too.

2. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

I have learned that what sounds great when playing alone does not sound great when playing with a full band. Soldano amps are made for performing. I want my guitar tone to cut through the mix, so I go for a brighter tone. This has served me well because after recording my band live, using a brighter signal sounds great with a band. If your tone is too smooth, the bass frequencies will drown you out.

I have used the SLO on many gigs, and set my EQ as follows

Treble 1 O'Clock
    Mid 10 O'Clock
    Bass 12 O'Clock
    Presence 1 O'Clock

Powering a 4 x 12 with Vintage 30's, both my cleans and overdrive sounded sensational in a band setting. My clean and crunch rhythms were full and distinct, and my solo's were fantastic. I would vary my preamp (gain) settings between 10 and 2 O'Clock, depending on how much overdrive the song called for. My EQ and Presence settings stay the same as above, and I got loads of compliments on my tone using various Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, and even a PRS.

Hope this is helpful:phones

3. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I tried that and its a tad thin, I agree keep the bass flat or lowered is best, increasing bass seems to scoop the low mids more, plus there isnt really any low mids in the bass to ad to the tone. Maybe I could increase the treb some, but I really think the mids need to be a 3 oclock or higher on this amp

4. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

OK, I found part of my issue and the issue is the TC electronics G system sucks. I was using the 4 cable method and decided to stop doing that an djust use it only in the loop. Made the amp come alive. Found that I like Gain at 4, Bass 6, Mid 6, treble 2 and presence 0 Good thick tone this way. I even liked the mid cranked to about 8 but it made the clean channel suffer a bit so this is a happy medium

5. slo100

slo100 Member

I have found keeping the loop clear of anything whatsoever the best way to go. I use a Marshall B cab with 25W greenbacks. I prefer the mids down, bass up, and treble around the halfway mark.

The series loop really takes the whole thing out of the the equation for me.

6. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

I run my slo clone with with the TMB all set to noon presence set to noon as well and depth all the way off. It cuts like mad in a full band like that.

7. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Glad you got it to sound great. I loooooooooooooooooove my SLO.

8. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

Remember, the tone that sounds best in a band situation will sound a bit thin and bright when playing alone. That is just the way it works. When the tone is perfect while playing alone, you will not have enough cut in a live band situation. Try it with a band and see what happens.

9. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

What speakers are you using? I play mine at lowers volumes and never thought it sounded thin. I tried it through V30's but much prefer greenbacks. I would love to try a 4x12 loaded with G12-65's. I could be wrond, but I have a hunch it would sound pretty good through these. I'm also going to try out KT-66's when I get around to it.

10. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Truth! Learned the Hard Way!