Soldano SLO-100 Super Lead Overdrive at Sweetwater

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MaoZhengfu, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

define “soon”. BAD is closed due to lockdown as is most of the US.

2. MaoZhengfu

MaoZhengfu Member

We’re going to carry it. That’s all I can guarantee at this point. I don’t want to make false promises.The SLO-100s made it here though, despite the lockdown. That’s a good sign!

blackba and HoboMan like this.
  3. les_paul

les_paul Member

Well past the threshold of price I'm willing to pay for an amp with that feature set. Say what you will but I just don't get it.

art_z and DeadLazy like this.
  4. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

You don't have to crank an SLO at all to get high gain. They're not NMV Marshalls. But SLOs do become a totally different amp when you get the master above 5.

Echoplexi and JB6464 like this.
  5. LaXu

LaXu Member

I have to agree. Nice amp for sure and a classic but I'm out at that price.

Surgeon and DeadLazy like this.
  6. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Its legendary and iconic. It lives up to the hype for most people. Having said this I sort of feel the same way towards other legendary amps, for example I played a JCM800 one time last year and it was cool but didn't really blow me away like I thought it would. I have played one SLO in the past and was very impressed but I generally prefer my Mesa amps and they're far cheaper (still expensive). On my Dual Rectifier on the Orange channel I got the lead sounds almost identical to the SLO. It really just depends on your ears and preferences and your budget in the end. I always set mine around $2000 :).

7. LaXu

LaXu Member

To be fair I don't love most Mesas either. Lonestar Classic is great tho! All Mesas are unfortunately severely overpriced in Europe compared to other US brands. I'm talking "I can buy a flight to New York, go buy a Mesa there and still come ahead" overpriced. Just not worth buying here.

Speeddemon likes this.
  8. Occam

Occam Member

I guess that could be one explanation.

9. Allen Martin

Allen Martin Member

It's a tool. When I buy a new masonry saw $1500 and up it pays for itself in one or two jobs. $150 blade, one hour. How many gigs will it take to pay for a $4000 amp?

goodertone and Killcrop like this.
  10. technomancer

technomancer Supporting Member

Anybody that thought it was going to be cheaper was kidding themselves... component cost is higher than the Friedman and coming out of the same factory. Not sure what some people were expecting.

11. rstites

rstites Member

These types of comments always remind my of the time a friend took a lady out in his 911 Turbo. Afterward she commented that she was surprised it didn't have a smoother, more comfortable ride considering how much the car cost. Complaining about the SLO's lack of knobs, switches, and channels for the money is very much akin to complaining about that 911 Turbo's "rough" ride and lack of seat heaters, rear leg room, etc.

art_z, blackba, ht_557 and 3 others like this.
  12. rstites

rstites Member

It's actually less expensive than I would have assumed. That's a lower street price than the end of the SLO line out of Mike's shop isn't it? For what you're getting, it seems like a very fair price: assuming that it really is on par with the original, which I suppose isn't verified yet.

13. Killcrop

Killcrop Member

100% true, but musical gear isn't something worth trying to justify. It never works. But when is the last time the masonry saw brought you joy. Have you ever taken a masonry job for little pay because the people that own the house or building clapped and cheered for you after you cut the cement or brick? While on brake from cutting did you mingle with those people and have them tell you how talented you are with that saw? Did a couple cute girls ask you for Masonry cutting lessons? On a lazy Sunday morning have you ever sat on the couch with your masonry saw and just enjoying cutting your coffee table in half?

Life is short, buy the SLO if you want it.

lgehrig4, stratadp, Drew W and 21 others like this.
  14. jamme61

jamme61 Silver Supporting Member

Does anyone else think the price is crazy?
    $4000 wow

Allen Martin likes this.
  15. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

Big Mesas amps are routinely around that price in Europe.

Mark V 1x12 combo with cream tolex and grille is €4.399 ($4750 according to xe.com LOL) at Thomann right now.
    Mesa Triple Rectifier is €3.699 ($3.995)
    Friedman BE-100 Deluxe is €3.899 ($4210) etc. etc.

16. les_paul

les_paul Member

All I'm saying is for that type of sound I could get a Dual Rec, 6505, or 5150 for a lot less. The Dual especially does a lot more.

Surgeon and Allen Martin like this.
  17. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Yes. But the SLO has always been super expensive and $4k is right in line with the past prices.

Not sure why some expected it to be less expensive?

blackba and In Absentia like this.
  18. jamme61

jamme61 Silver Supporting Member

I thought BAD production line would bring lower cost - don't know why but, I was wrong. I hope Mike makes a ton of cash from this - have talked to him on the phone over the years and he is a super nice guy -

SgtThump likes this.
  19. goodtone

goodtone Member

Looking forward to a new 2020 demo with the crystalline cleans they mention in the amps clean / crunch description as well as the lead channel . Great news !

20. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Update those Reverb listings, everyone! :D