Soldano SLO-100 Super Lead Overdrive at Sweetwater

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MaoZhengfu, Apr 3, 2020.

1. stark

stark Supporting Member

It might very well sound every bit as good as the Gen1 and with updated loop and rear panel layout. I would consider it Gen2, a clone/reissue of Gen1. Layout parts and transformers are all current issue. I like the looks of the new cab, can't wait to hear one.

2. LaXu

LaXu Member

Mesa pricing is an outlier because their distributor tacks on massive price increases in Europe. Remember they don't pay US retail prices for these before tacking on their own margins so their margin is much higher than the numbers below. Comparing Sweetwater vs Thomann (incl. Finnish 24% VAT) price for the Mark V 35 1x12 combo (just because it was easy to find on both sites):
    • Sweetwater - $2049 or ~1900€.
    • Thomann - ~$3234 or 2999€. Without VAT that is ~$2458 or ~2279€.
    So about $400/379€ extra for crossing the pond and I've seen much higher for some models like the JP2C.

By comparison BE-100 Deluxe is $3799 vs $4312 with the same VAT. Remove the 24% VAT and the BE is actually cheaper than the US price. Seen a similar trend with Bogner where the US price translates almost directly to higher the euro price by simply swapping the currency symbol.

To me the issue with the Soldano pricing is not about the feature set but that there are equally world class amps at lower cost. There are tons of amps that do modded Marshall type tones really well. If you want a Soldano then sure, go buy one but it's going to cost you.

Bluesful, goddot and jamme61 like this.
  3. jamme61

jamme61 Silver Supporting Member

DC heaters and new loop will be great - wonder what they mean about the clean channel? is the circuit for the clean channel changed?

4. Allen Martin

Allen Martin Member

Actually I have had some customers jaws drop. In 40 years you move on from bricks and blocks. Custom stone, marble and granite and works of art, but it is still masonry. It has made it possible to buy to buy some nice gear. I would still not spend that kind of money for an amp unless it made me 10 times the money in one year. And I've got to be honest, I'm a better mason than I am a guitar player. When I do have an opportunity to play out I get buy with my '63 super Reverb with 4x10s. Sometimes I do get the urge to buy another amp. I'm fighting that right now.

5. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
  6. JB6464

JB6464 Member

No Doubt !
    Not to mention the Hotrod amps are crazy over priced . :eek:

PaisleyWookie and Allen Martin like this.
  7. goddot

goddot Member

Hey can any of you guys that are component knowledgeable do a cost comp on a BE vs the SLO... meaning, documented proof that the resistors in the BE cost X and the resistors in the SLO cost X and do this for caps and transformers etc. The transformers are all made by magnetic components now for both amps and that is the most expensive part of an amp. The powdercoating and grill might be more expensive on the SLO. Would love to see the facts on this

8. rstites

rstites Member

I thought the SLO was priced at $4500 when Mike closed shop. If so, then they added functionality and lowered price. (If I'm wrong, someone let me know.)

lgehrig4, aengina and In Absentia like this.
  9. MichiganEsquire

MichiganEsquire Supporting Member

One of my buds, who currently owns multiple SLOs and has owned a bunch of others before, had the chance to play one of the new ones. According to him, the new ones are better, both in terms of sound and functionality.

10. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

With no real financing option for me it may as well be 30 grand lol. (Not a knock on the amp or on Sweetwater. It just sucks that I’ll never own one of these)

will132 likes this.
  11. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Yes they added functionality but some of the original military high grade parts are no longer available that gave the SLO it's mojo .
    I think the 30w SLO is priced right , but the 100w SLO i'm not sure yet until I see a gut shot and see what has been substituted and all like the Deyoung iron , clarostat potentiometers , and certain caps & resistors used on the PCB .
    So since a lot of important parts have to be changed , to me it's starting to look like a C3amp kit wired by B.A.D. and marked up for nice profit .
    http://c3amps.com/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Coalface1971 likes this.
  12. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I would LOVE a SLO30, but I'm guessing it's going to be $2500 minimum, and that's just a bit rich for my blood. Though I understand and respect why it's expensive.

13. Austin_Taunt

Austin_Taunt Supporting Member

I will wait for the guy getting a divorce and get the $2200 SLO

Buck Woodson, goddot and JB6464 like this.
  14. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Happy I have an original. Not for sale, as I love it!

Stone Driver likes this.
  15. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Yep, I'd buy a new Wizard over a SLO any day.
    However, I am curious how this new version sounds.

El Rey and jamme61 like this.
  16. rstites

rstites Member

So, the answer is that yes it's cheaper with more functionality. There is a question of component quality, which I don't disagree with but it's a little early to take the most negative POV possible, and pretending it's a kit is a bit beyond silly. I've never seen anything to suggest BAD isn't building quality amplifiers. Is there a reason to assume that's the case?

<shrug> It's not like I'm selling my original and going out and buying a new one. I just find the extent to which this place is anti-anything new to be a bit interesting. ;)

17. JB6464

JB6464 Member

I'm not saying B.A.D. isn't building quality amps , what i'm saying is a lot of important parts are being changed because of availability , so how far does it get before it's not much different than a 3C amp kit which uses the same military grade parts Soldano was using . Mike is no longer personally building them so what makes B.A.D. any better than any qualified tech buying the same parts from a Kit and building it .
    So that's what C3amps did , put together an awesome SLO kit with the same equivalent parts right down to the head shell and grill plates .
    And it cost about 1/3 and that's at retail price , B.A.D. is not paying retail prices for builds , their paying wholesale prices , wire it up and now charges $4000 .
    http://c3amps.com/

jamme61 and Coalface1971 like this.
  18. MichiganEsquire

MichiganEsquire Supporting Member

Getting an amp with a practically functional loop and doesn't snap, crackle, and pop like a bowl of cereal is worth a few component changes - which Mike would have had to incorporate regardless. Although guitarists are generally progress-adverse, the new SLO is going to be regarded as the superior amp by most (with the exception of those looking to drive up hype on their "originals").

Wizard of Ozz likes this.
  19. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

SLO's do not turn to mush. they stay tight the whole way up.
    amazing amps

blackba, gaelicsolus and Coalface1971 like this.
  20. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Right on. Had a mate around for a gear day a little while back. Put my 8-string Ibanez through the SLO, tightest amp in the room - only amp it sounded any good through, tbh.

THE SLO is an amp you either like or hate. Actually with the power supply stiffness, are quite hard to play imo. It ain't for everyone.

The BAD Ver with the loop moved post TS seems more useful, but more like a Mesa. The original loop position has an effect on the actual sound of the amp. Relay switching is a nice touch (hopefully doesn't pop like the Freidman's), but the LDR bleed in the original is only if the clean is used.

The DC heaters? I've got other high gainers (Framus, Marshall, Mesa) in my collection that have more heater noise than my SLO. The DC heaters and relays are more to do with BAD's production techniques - all that part I'd suggest will be on the PCB as it saves on physical wiring. No twisted wiring pairs (less labor), relay parts go onto the board - BAD would have stock of the relay parts as all of their other amps will use the same thing.

It won't sound the same, better or not will arbitrary. Re-sale? Well 68 SLP or a 2000-ish re-issue.....? I know where my money would be. But to each their own.

ufguy73, JB6464 and mikey like this.