• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Soldano SLO 100 vs Friedman BE 100

Which amp is better, SLO or Friedman BE

• Soldano SLO 100

• Friedman BE 100

Results are only viewable after voting.
The pesky Friedman fanboys can cream their pants over the BE100, while many fully grown men play a SLO.
You should post some videos of you shredding some Randy Rhoads solos so we know that your opinion matters. Or, some songs you've written and recorded. It's hard to know if your opinion matters without seeing/hearing you play.

Rick Lee

Plus decided advantage in favor of Dave in terms of customer service - the guy is absolutely top-notch.
Taking nothing away from Dave, but Mike has picked up the phone almost every time I've called their main number. His customer support is not one iota less than Dave's. I've had an SLO and a Friedman SB. Both have their place, but their designers' customer support is totally equal.

jdel77

Plus decided advantage in favor of Dave in terms of customer service - the guy is absolutely top-notch.
Personal taste for tone is all well and good, and I've only heard great stuff about Dave Friedman, but you cannot fault Mike Soldano's customer service. He's one of the most friendly, bend-over-backwards, mellow amp dudes I've had the pleasure of dealing with.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Taking nothing away from Dave, but Mike has picked up the phone almost every time I've called their main number. His customer support is not one iota less than Dave's. I've had an SLO and a Friedman SB. Both have their place, but their designers' customer support is totally equal.
Mike helped me with mine, I called and he does pick up the phone or calls you back...

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Unless you need the distinct tone of the SLO lead channel, the Friedman is a decidedly better amp objectively (quietness, tone shaping qualities, versatility, functional loop & master) and subjectively (quality of cleans, mid-gain, and gain-tones). The SLOs lead channel is cool, but I'm one of the many that bored of it and was no longer willing to put up with the amp's quirks.

Friedmans are great amps - i do think there is more to the SLO than what you are giving it credit for.

Its not like clapton, knopfler, haynes, etc were shredding or pounding metal on them.

I dont find mike any less helpful or responsive than dave, so that is a push to me.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Read above, my experience was different. Perhaps caught him on a bad and to his credit he did apologize a number of times. Suffice it to say, though, Dave has always been beyond helpful and a gentlemen (even after I ultimately didn't send him amps to modify).
Well, ive also reached out to dave before about an amp (friedman) problem and didnt hear back - not a big deal, at all, but it happens to the best of them.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Regardless, Mike's a nice guy and generally very helpful. Still think Dave's customer service - in my experience was better - and that the BE100 is a better amp for the reasons stated above.
Great, and in my experience it was worse - so, there ya go.

Look, im not going to get into a pissing match about two great amps. I dont claim the SLO has the channel switching abilities of any number of modern amps out there today.

I simply was pointing out the fallacy of your position that the SLO ‘only’ has a singular lead tone - maybe for you...but not for any number of other countless players.

Dont try and change the premise of your statement that i was responding to.

procos

Gold Supporting Member
Great, and in my experience it was worse - so, there ya go.

Look, im not going to get into a pissing match about two great amps. I dont claim the SLO has the channel switching abilities of any number of modern amps out there today.

I simply was pointing out the fallacy of your position that the SLO ‘only’ has a singular lead tone - maybe for you...but not for any number of other countless players.

Dont try and change the premise of your statement that i was responding to.
Give him a break he is a Michigan fan. LOL

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Who said I was even responding to you in your quoted post?

Do you know what "subjective" means? I'm guessing not since you seek to argue opinion. lol
Right...and references to scratched transformers, warranties, and unresponsiveness had nothing to do with soldano either...because hes 'a nice guy' and youd never bash a nice guy on a gear forum..

Nothing subjective about it - i have no problem with folks liking one amp or another...but dont try and be cute about trashing a respected builder

rstites

Personal taste for tone is all well and good, and I've only heard great stuff about Dave Friedman, but you cannot fault Mike Soldano's customer service. He's one of the most friendly, bend-over-backwards, mellow amp dudes I've had the pleasure of dealing with.
Yeah, Soldano has absolutely one of the best reputations out there. I've never heard a single complaint about customer service. I've heard good things about Friedman too. The major advantage Soldano has here is just that he's been around a hell of a lot longer honoring that lifetime transferable warranty work.

rstites

The heart of the SLO is the crunch channel IMO. Anyone who thinks the lead is all there is and doesn't explore the tonal pallet of the clean/crunch channel really doesn't get the SLO. It may just not be for them. It isn't a bells-n-whistles amp certainly, and for the money you can definitely find amps out there with more knobs, switches, channels, etc.

Last edited:

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned both plus a bunch of others...

The SLO lead tones are some of the best, if not the best. But for me the rest of the amp is just ok.
The BE100 has a lead tone that is just as good but different. The BE is way more flexible but comes in that gigantic head cab. Probably the most aggressive of the 3.
XTC is the most flexible of the bunch. Of course the Blue channel is legendary. Best cleans of the 3 and most unique high gain tone of the group IMO.

RockinRob

There is a post in this thread with a video comparing the two amps. When I listened to it I was very surprised at the similarity, and I thought no way my SLO sounds similar to a BE. I've played BEs but never owned one. This led me to find a better video of the friedman, so I cranked up the speakers, turned on the slo, and tried matching the two. Sure enough, it was pretty easy to do. In order to make the SLO sound like a BE (overdrive modes) the secret was in diming the presence and the depth mod on the SLO. Bass, middle and treble were all around 6. I found there really wasn't anything on any of the vids for the BE that I couldn't pretty easily match on the SLO. (I did not compare clean sides). However, I was then curious if the BE could match that creamy smooth sound of my more "traditional" SLO overdrive setting. Not having one I couldn't know.

I then went back to the amp and overdrive sound I have been preferring lately, which is my vox ac30 HW with preamp dimed with a BB preamp, for comparison. To my surprise, I preferred the vox/bb for my metal mahem. So ya know, go figure.

danburton

Silver Supporting Member
Mike and Dave are both great when it comes to customer service. The thing to remember about Mike is that he is old school. He doesnt text or email like Dave does, but if you call the main number for Soldano he'll either answer or he'll call you back when he can.

suparsonic

I have owned both plus a bunch of others...

The SLO lead tones are some of the best, if not the best. But for me the rest of the amp is just ok.
The BE100 has a lead tone that is just as good but different. The BE is way more flexible but comes in that gigantic head cab. Probably the most aggressive of the 3.
XTC is the most flexible of the bunch. Of course the Blue channel is legendary. Best cleans of the 3 and most unique high gain tone of the group IMO.
Mostly agree, but I love the SLO Lead ch for cutting chords. XTC is my Fav.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom