Soldano SLO Gain Vs. Hot Rod Gain

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mesa/kramer, Mar 17, 2015.

1. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

For those who have owned or have had some playing time with both.
    Do both have similar gain structure?

The reason I ask is that I recently got a Jet City 50 (Which is a Soldano designed HR 50 made over seas).

The amount of gain on tap from the Jet City is considerably more than my SLO.

The Normal channel alone on the JC with the gain on 3-4 is as much as the normal channel on my SLO set at max.

Maybe there is something wrong with my SLO or the HR series is designed with more gain?

2. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Yes , i have owned both and still own a 1998 HR100+ and the lead channel of each amp is the same.
    Your SLO should have the same amount of gain but slightly smoother and more HIFI soundng because of the better iron .
    Check your preamp tubes and double check your PI tube , that tube is very important as well.

3. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I would imagine a real Soldano HR50 would sound much better than anything jet city, never mind the flagship SLO??

amoodymule likes this.
  4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That's it. I had both, an SLO and an HR100XL. The SLO needed to be so loud to get it to really shine. Bill at Soldano used the same description, he said it's the Deyoung trannies which are real hifi sounding, which at lower levels gave it a bit of a fizzy tone to me, I remember the HR was warmer. I preferred the HR a lot of times. But gain levels seemed pretty even.

I sold both a long time ago and downsized, but if anyone's interested, I know my buddy doesn't use that old HR100 and is interested in selling it.

5. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

From what I have read the jca is a hot rod built over seas and once you get in decent glass and bias it properly they sound identical. Obviously the hot rod will be built worlds better. The Slo doesn't sound like a hot rod to me.

6. nevismusic

nevismusic Member

absolutely this. in fact you may want to take the pre amp tubes from the JC (carefully note which slots they came from) and put them in the SLO, one at a time and listen to the results, to test out which of your SLO pre tubes has gone bad. that way you know which tubes have gone bad and you know that the tubes you're placing in the SLO and working properly because they work in the other amp.

7. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Great idea
    I will try this for sure