Soldano SLO Mini SS 30

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Wonder why load boxes are not supported? We tried it through a suhr reactive load and it seemed fine. Could either of them be damaged from using them together?
I’m sure the risk is to the class D power amp and not the load.

Rick Lee

My SW sales engineer called today, said shipping would likely be in mid-August. I'm not in a hurry, will take my GK 250ML to next few gigs as backup.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Please don’t rag on the playing and string noise. Just messing around last night setting the master as low as possible with my LP Junior straight in. Pickup is the SD Retrospec’d (un-aged Antiquity)

This is below TV/conversation volume.

Last edited:

blackba

Platinum Supporting Member
I don’t really see the point in foot switching between high and higher gain setting since there are no independent gain/volume controls. I think I like the Crunch setting better anyway. Stick a boost in front = done.
I was thinking there was a gain knob for each channel, but I see it is shared. Too bad.

blackba

Platinum Supporting Member
Wonder why load boxes are not supported? We tried it through a suhr reactive load and it seemed fine. Could either of them be damaged from using them together?
This thread is a good read as to why not.

Jkist7

Got mine! First impressions: The crunch channel actually sounds legitimately awesome. It has a nice sparkle up top, but still sounds thick and powerful. Theres an organic nature to the tone. Cleans up real nicely too.

I am less impressed with the overdrive channel. Sounds fine, but its absolutely nothing special IMO. Also palm mutes behave strangely on this channel, they have no weight or definition.

But for the money, I think its a great piece of kit. Its a snapshot of a specific sound, and for that specific sound it does sound really good. The second channel would still sound nice as a solo lead channel, with effects and stuff. But the crunch channel really does shine.

Ordered mine from Sweetwater Thursday and it arrived today.

Love it! Using it with a Friedman 1X12 Runt closed back cab with a Creamback.

Can't ever see using the overdrive channel, the gain and the tone of the crunch channel is my favorite. I haven't needed the gain past 3 O'Clock for hard rock soloing. Rolling back the guitar's volume works surprisingly well for ss. The tone remains similar, just less gain, and gets quite clean.

Well done Mike!

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
found out the answer to the question i posed the other day - no speaker cab needed

also, at the risk of losing any credibility that i may have built with any of you, i think its a REALLY surprisingly great amp for $250. lil fizz, sure, but its got a pretty good voice to it! i just put it through a 1x8 in the living room today, but ill put it into the 2x12 tomorrow

im thinking i could take the back panel off and velcro a little mini plate reverb pedal inside the housing and voila, onboard reverb lol

56A07638-FAD7-45E7-9A39-3DE23BE15240.jpeg
5E035D48-2B61-41AA-94A1-877D98253A44.jpeg

Last edited:

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
Got the SLO mini today and I dig this little thing . Did a quick erratic iPhone clip recorded at pretty loud bedroom volume . Played thru my Splawn 2x12 with Greenbacks , MXR Carbon Copy in the loop . No boost in this clip but I did hit it with the Friedman Buxom set for a subtle boost and to tighten up the low end , worked great. So far this thing`s a keeper
Settings
2WYNZuzl.jpg

Last edited:

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
Please don’t rag on the playing and string noise. Just messing around last night setting the master as low as possible with my LP Junior straight in. Pickup is the SD Retrospec’d (un-aged Antiquity)

This is below TV/conversation volume.

great video and some appropriately tasty riff choices!

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
Got the SLO mini today andi I dig this little thing . Did a quick erratic iPhone clip recorded at pretty loud bedroom volume . Played thru my Splawn 2x12 with Greenbacks , MXR Carbon Copy in the loop . No boost in this clip but I did hit it with the Friedman Buxom set for a subtle boost and to tighten up the low end , worked great. So far this thing`s a keeper
Settings
2WYNZuzl.jpg

sounds great (considering iphone compression and all)

also some fun riff choices here!!

aint no way that i would guess that was a $250 amp. for real

Platevolt

The mini version Soldano just dropped. Sounds fun for the SLO home jammer but at 30 solid state watts, I bet this has some very usable volume for the price of a good gain pedal. Probably too gainy for my ol' blues rock chops... Follows the Diezel, Friedman and Bogner mini format looks like. Not crazy about those laptop power supplies but what do I know... Interesting interview with Mr. Soldano about this little guy.

I think the restaurant gig guy needs this one.

Chuckthetech

I’m sure the risk is to the class D power amp and not the load.
Hello, I'm new to the form. I'm a retired electronics Tech, I received my Mini yesterday and hooked the speaker output to my homemade reactive load, and the Amp would shut down. I would have the restart by cycling the power switch. After further investigation probing with my meter I found out the speaker ground is not the same as chassis ground or power ground. Only when the speaker is plugged into the speaker jack it is sitting at 11.4 volts DC. To confirm, measured between chassis inside of the wood box and the ground side of the speaker jack, which is the same as the center pin of the power connector. So by connecting this speaker output to my reactive load which is grounded it was shorting 11.4 VDC to ground. Not a good thing. The Amp went into protection mode and recovered, which is a good thing. Looks like the speaker output is biased at 1/2 the power supply voltage may be running push-pull. Most professional solid-state amplifiers used in PA systems run + and - supplies and are biased a 0 volts DC. Be careful. An audio iso transformer may fix the problem in my case but I did get it to work by lifting the ground of the audio line to the computer.

So I just want to add a couple of other thoughts. One, follow the included instructions to the T. The speaker output is for speakers only, and connect it before you turn the power switch on. Two, they don't tell you this but the sleeve of the 1/4 inch cable plug is Hot. It has 11.4 volts DC on it with respect to the ground, so if it touches any metal grounded gear, the SLO Mini self protects itself and the speaker output will turn off.

Last edited:

Top Bottom