Soldano SLO Mini SS 30

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
Just an update on the load box issue...

So in the past day I have chatted with both Two Notes support and Boutique Amps Distribution support. Two Notes claims that the Captor/Captor X can be used with any Class D amp as their speaker input is electrically isolated. However, the engineers at BAD are still insisting that load boxes including the Captor/Captor X are not supported and advise against it.

At this point I don't want to risk voiding my warranty so I will probably just keep it plugged directly into my cab for now. It's just too bad these mini amps do not have a headphone jack...

Just a thought - could you not go from the loop send to an interface device (I have a Roland DuoCapture) and use the headphone out there? Since the output is class D all of the tone should be coming from the preamp section.

Al

Xevyn

Just a thought - could you not go from the loop send to an interface device (I have a Roland DuoCapture) and use the headphone out there? Since the output is class D all of the tone should be coming from the preamp section.

Al

Yup that's pretty much the workaround and what the support guy I talked to recommended...

But if you have the Neural DSP SLO plugin already...its almost easier to just use that instead ;)

Chuckthetech

The SOL mini sounds real good, I love it. I'm using the send-into my Tascam US-100 audio interface, usb2 into windows deck top , Cakewalk with Lancaster audio Pulse w/IR's set all controls to 12 O'closk crunch mode, humbucker at bridge of course. This is one bad ass amp for solid state, precticed 80's rock for 3 hours today and I'm a blues lover. My roots are in rock says the amp. It sound so good.

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
Yup that's pretty much the workaround and what the support guy I talked to recommended...

But if you have the Neural DSP SLO plugin already...its almost easier to just use that instead ;)
im not bagging on you, so dont take this the wrong way, as u already explained why u want to do this

but

its not a "worksround" to do both whats in the manual, as well as follow what the guys that did the amp design tell ya to do

just feels like a negative term to use, when its working as designed

:) please take comment in light it was intended :)

just toss the little bugger on another small cab by itself! it will run at a whisper!

Xevyn

im not bagging on you, so dont take this the wrong way, as u already explained why u want to do this

but

its not a "worksround" to do both whats in the manual, as well as follow what the guys that did the amp design tell ya to do

just feels like a negative term to use, when its working as designed

:) please take comment in light it was intended :)

just toss the little bugger on another small cab by itself! it will run at a whisper!

Nope that's a fair comment...I guess I was just a little frustrated about having to deviate from my usual setup when I wrote that.

Although I'm not sure their suggestion to use the Send of the FX loop is in either the user guide or owner's manual. It was just something they told me on the phone and over email.

Chuckthetech

I wonder if D1 and D2 are the clipping diodes? Second op-amp from the right and input. I'm not saying to do it or it will, but switching these in and out may add a clean channel? You would have to draw out the circuit first, that takes time away from playing this beast. That other IC below it is a TC1044s is a charge pump dc to dc converter, that turns a single supply to + and - supply, probably for the op-amps for more headroom. Does this amp take pedals well, I haven't tried that yet?
Thanks for the pics.

Chuckthetech

I guess Pete didn't read the user guide either since it looks like he has it plugged into a Captor X :D
Sure looks like he didn't read the manual, lol, looks like it works fine with the Captor X. If it didn't work, it would be shutting down as it did for me.

Xevyn

Ok I finally had a chance to compare the amp to the Neural DSP plugin.

Went from the "Send" on the amp to my interface and used the same cab from the Neural plugin (with the Neural amp turned off along with all the Neural pedals) for the comparison. Both are very close but if I had to choose one, I think the Neural plugin sounds a slight tad better and is a little bit more flexible since it has the clean channel as well.

That said, I would still recommend this amp to someone who is looking for the following:
  • An amp with the Soldano sound in a small form factor and sounds decent at low volume levels
  • A small amp with an FX loop where you can use the return of the FX loop to leverage its power section (i.e. use other preamp pedals to plug into the return on the amp)
  • Someone who wants to plug into a cab directly without using plugins

If you already have the Neural plugin and an existing amp with an FX loop then you probably can skip it since you can use the out on your interface to the return on your existing amp to play through your cab - unless you want it for the novelty and/or for portability and small gigs.

Techncially I fall into that latter group but I may still end up keeping it since it's nice to be able to plugin and just play into my cab without having to run a cable across to where my amp and cab are. And since I am on the computer for the majority of the week for work it's nice to not have to look at a computer screen while playing/practising.

Last edited:

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Looks like it is loud enough to handle a live gig:

Oops missed that part - thanks for the correction!

Well, in all fairness, it was an open-air, outdoor venue. Very large stage, as well.

Just about any amp is loud enough for a gig if it's mic'd through a good PA.
I used to gig with my Marshall DSL20 and played some larger outdoor venues. We had a good monitor mix with my guitar mixed loud for me.

So yes, you can gig with this amp, even at a large outdoor venue as long as you're using a good PA.

Deuterium

Just about any amp is loud enough for a gig if it's mic'd through a good PA.
I used to gig with my Marshall DSL20 and played some larger outdoor venues. We had a good monitor mix with my guitar mixed loud for me.

So yes, you can gig with this amp, even at a large outdoor venue as long as you're using a good PA.

Yes. I know. I hope everyone here would know that. In fact, that is why I wrote what I wrote. In other words, of course that little 30 Watt solid-state amp was mic’ed…he was playing through it in a large, open air venue. That is why they have PA systems.

Xevyn

Sure looks like he didn't read the manual, lol, looks like it works fine with the Captor X. If it didn't work, it would be shutting down as it did for me.

It looks like quite a few demo'd this with a load box of some sort including some of the ones already mentioned:

Pete Thorn (Captor X):

Kris from Thomann (Captor X):

Euge Valovirta (ReactIR):

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Yes. I know. I hope everyone here would know that. In fact, that is why I wrote what I wrote. In other words, of course that little 30 Watt solid-state amp was mic’ed…he was playing through it in a large, open air venue. That is why they have PA systems.

Gotcha. I misunderstood.

I also at one time hoped that everyone here would understand that but alas, it isn't so.
Visit the Live Sound & Recording forum sometime and see how many people refuse to mic their amp because it will ruin their tone.

Chuckthetech

It looks like quite a few demo'd this with a load box of some sort including some of the ones already mentioned:

Pete Thorn (Captor X):

Kris from Thomann (Captor X):

Euge Valovirta (ReactIR):

Yeah, I saw Euge's video and you're right, he goes through that ReactIR and I can't figure out why it sounded funny with the Strat? Sounded like digital clipping to me with the DAW?

Chuckthetech

Ok I finally had a chance to compare the amp to the Neural DSP plugin.

Went from the "Send" on the amp to my interface and used the same cab from the Neural plugin (with the Neural amp turned off along with all the Neural pedals) for the comparison. Both are very close but if I had to choose one, I think the Neural plugin sounds a slight tad better and is a little bit more flexible since it has the clean channel as well.

That said, I would still recommend this amp to someone who is looking for the following:
  • An amp with the Soldano sound in a small form factor and sounds decent at low volume levels
  • A small amp with an FX loop where you can use the return of the FX loop to leverage its power section (i.e. use other preamp pedals to plug into the return on the amp)
  • Someone who wants to plug into a cab directly without using plugins

If you already have the Neural plugin and an existing amp with an FX loop then you probably can skip it since you can use the out on your interface to the return on your existing amp to play through your cab - unless you want it for the novelty and/or for portability and small gigs.

Techncially I fall into that latter group but I may still end up keeping it since it's nice to be able to plugin and just play into my cab without having to run a cable across to where my amp and cab are. And since I am on the computer for the majority of the week for work it's nice to not have to look at a computer screen while playing/practising.
Do you ever have any latency with your amp plugins? I demoed the One knob plugin, it bugged the hell out of me latency-wise. The ones in Cakewalk walk have a fast response. What daw program do you use?

Xevyn

Yeah, I saw Euge's video and you're right, he goes through that ReactIR and I can't figure out why it sounded funny with the Strat? Sounded like digital clipping to me with the DAW?

I hear something similar when I play through the send on the amp (with gain on 1 to get a clean-ish sound) to my interface using my physical pedals. Tried a few overdrive pedals and a fuzz pedal and they all had that digital clipping sound even though my DAW was not showing that I was clipping. I don't hear it when I just play with the pedals direct to my cab though...

Last edited:

Xevyn

Do you ever have any latency with your amp plugins? I demoed the One knob plugin, it bugged the hell out of me latency-wise. The ones in Cakewalk walk have a fast response. What daw program do you use?

I'm using Logic Pro and tried the Neural plugin and the Two Notes Wall of Sound plugin but I didn't notice any latencies with either. Any difference if you try a different plugin other than the One knob?

Chuckthetech

I'm using Logic Pro and tried the Neural plugin and the Two Notes Wall of Sound plugin but I didn't notice any latencies with either. Any difference if you try a different plugin other than the One knob?
Only use the TH3 (same company I think that makes THU plugins) amp sims that come with Cakewalk and they're fine. I'm new to all this Amp plugin stuff. I'm Just trying the free software first to learn, IR loaders, IR etc.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom