Soldano SLO questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by John55, Jan 12, 2008.

1. John55

John55 Member

A few years ago I had an SLO with all of the various mods, KT66 tube upgrade, etc. Great amp that I now regret selling. I want to buy another and have heard the early amps were built better than the current ones. Is there any truth to this? Is there a certain year or period to look for? I didn't find the various mods my previous amp had to be all that big a deal and my next SLO won't have them. I think the less "stuff" cluttering the circuit provides the purest and best tone. Comments appreciated!

2. se7en

se7en Senior Member

Older ones used better tubes maybe than what comes stock now. They are identical otherwise AFAIK.

3. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Slo's also have a lifetime warranty.

4. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

slo's been built the same since day 1.best person to ask would be mike soldano...
    otherwise ive played and owned a few and they all sound the same,can change slightly w/ different tubes

5. martyhk0

martyhk0 Member

and the reason Mike has never changed them is cause you can't improve on perfection. I love my slo 100.

6. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

I've spent time with 2 stock '04 SLO's that were great.

Also one with "all the mods" that was an '07 SLO that had a "touch response" like no other amp I've played. It felt really responsive and sounded the best of the 3 I tried. "Too many things cluttering the circuit" I don't believe anymore since this experience.

I would have bought it in a second but have no need for any of the mods. The mods cost an extra $700 which brought the price of that one with all the mods to $4200 plus tax (I'm in Canada) it was too steep for me. Bought a new '07 Bogner 101b at a great price and I'm very happy with. Great feel with the 101b as well.

7. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

I had an 88 slo and a 2005. They were identical in every detail with exceoption to the logos looking slightly different. In the end I sold the both and bought a Custom one of a kind SLO.

8. JackButler

what's the custom SLO voodoo?

9. John55

John55 Member

I've actually thought about ordering a "custom" SLO myself. I've seen one that had no clean/crunch channel, just the OD channel, and then another that had a crunch channel w/o the clean switch, along with the OD channel. It seemed to have a bit more gain on the crunch side than mine, and I'd like that, as well as having the FX loop deleted.

10. voodoosound

The custom I have is not a custom that can be ordered. Michael built it for himself and then gave it to his VP of sales as a gift. I was told if another were to be made it would cost double digits. Don't know if thats tru as I was dealing with the VP of sales LOL!!. But based on the options on thsi thing and the coversations I had with Bill Sundt years ago about it I suspect the pricetage would be right in there.

11. JackButler

Well what are the extra options Voodoo?

12. kruts

kruts Member

I seem to recall that Mike has tried to update the PCB for the SLO, but found that even using the same parts, a reworked PCB made it sound different (just the traces on the PCB changed). So he kept using the first PCB in it...

13. voodoosound

Not really. It does not have the Deyoung transformer in it. Which is what makes an slo an slo.

14. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

I would love to know the options of your SLO is it hush hush?