Soldano Tone vs Fender Blues Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Struong57, May 8, 2015.

1. Struong57

Struong57 Member

Guys, I'm currently contemplating between purchasing a Jet City JCA2212 20 watt combo tube amp vs a Fender Blues Jr tube amp. I don't have any experience with tube amps, all I have ever owned and played were solid state amps. The Jet City (Soldano) has 5 12AX7 tubes in its preamp plus 2 EL84 tubes whereas the Fender has 3 12AX7 and 2 EL84s. I will mainly be using this for worship music and I'll be running lots of "wet" effects through it. Will there be much of a difference in tone between the two amps? If so, which one is gonna give me a warmer tone more suitable for worship?

2. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Jet City tone is specific to that brand. Not quite close to true Soldano sound. I've never played any JC stuff but the Blues Jr will probably be a more reliable amp and will do just fine for worship music.

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Soldano amps have more gain, more of a rock amp than a blues amp.

4. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

If you're running a lot of wet effects I would suggest something with a great loop. What's your price range?

5. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

The thing you need to know first is whether or not you're going to use the Blues Jr clean or with the gain cranked. If you're going to run it clean and use pedals for dirt then you'll be fine. But if you're going to run it with some grit then all those 'wet' pedals won't sound real great.

6. Struong57

Struong57 Member

I plan on using the drives from my pedals and just running the amp clean.

My price range is $300 or less for a used amp.

7. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

I've never played a Jet City but given your criteria, I'd say a Blues Jr is a really good option for you.