Soldano Tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Darth Tater, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

For those who are running Soldano amps, what tubes do you have in it?

My Decatone still has the stock Sovtek 5881 tubes in it from around 1997 so it's time to change them. Any thoughts on JJ 6L6's or should I stick with a 5881?

2. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

I’ve got an HR50+ that I’ve had JJ6L6’s in for about the last six months and I love ‘em. Here’s a list of all the other power amp tubes I tried.

TAD 6L6GC-STR: The top end is a tad bright but still nice, the mids are good, but I found the bottom end to be too loose.

TAD 6L6WGC-STR: Low power tube, strong mid-range tone, I didn’t like the top end all that much nor the fact that it has so much mid range to it.

JJ / Tesla 6L6: Highest output tube I tried. Not a very bright tube but the bottom end is nice and tight and not boomy. It’s best character is that it doesn’t have that much character. Good all around tube.

Tung-Sol 5881: Another low power tube, but no mid hump like the TAD WGC. I like the top end more on this tube then the TAD GC-STR but the bass is not as tight and it tends to compress easy when pushed hard.

Winged “C” This is my second favorite tube. It’s got more top end and bass than the JJ. The reason I’m not playing this tube is because I feel the bottom end is a tad too loose.

I think the stock Sovteks are just nasty too. Not tight enough and very fizzy sounding on the top end.

That’s my two-cent’s worth.

Steve

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

How did those JJ 6L6's affect your clean channel specifically? I recently tried a Fender Blues DeVille through the same cabinet I use with my Soldano and the DeVille had a much better bottom end. Thicker, rounder, just more in your face and in your chest. But that was clean channel only. I'd love to get closer to a Fendery clean with my Decatone.

4. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

I was running Telefunken pre's in my old SLO, which really smoothed out the preamp fizz.

KT66's sound nice in SLOs too.

5. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

EH pre's and JJ power's in my Decatone has been the best I've found. Didn't care as much for the Sovtek's.

Stormin!

6. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

The clean channel is not that bass heavy to begin with so I can't say that the JJ's added any more bass but they did tighten it up. The one thing that did add more bass was the Depth Control I had them add. That helped a bunch.

FYI

I've played my HR50+ right next to my '66 Bassman and the both amps set to clean sounded VERY nice. Both amps sound friggen awesome to me and I played blues with a '65 Twin Reverb for years. I would love to pack my HR and Strat to a blues gig and knock them dead with the clean tone that thing gets. So before you run out and buy a Fender thinking that's the only clean you'll ever be happy with, try the JJ's and see if you like them. I certainly do.

I also run my HR50+ thru an open backed 2x12 with Eminence Delta Pros and those speakers have a nice full bass response. If you looking for good clean, your not always gonna find it with a speaker that is more suited for rock tones.

I think my '66 Bassman sounds the best clean with my Jensen C12Ns.

Steve

7. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Don't misunderstand me...the Soldano is NOT a Fender. Both have different tones, but both are very nice in their own way.

Steve

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

Thanks Steve, I'm gonna try some JJ's :)

9. Blueser

Blueser Member

Hey Steve,

To put things in the proper context, what style of music are you playing with your SLO? The reason I ask is that I play primarily classic rock, blues, and some old school metal, so I don't need that really tight nu-metal type bottom end from my SLO. I have always liked the Winged "C" Svets, and I am looking to swap out the stock Sovtek 5881's that are in the amp now. In the past, I thought the JJ 6L6s were a touch dark (which may not be a bad thing for the SLO which can be a bit bright)

Also, I have tried many NOS (Tele, Mullard, RFT, RCA, etc) preamp tubes in the SLO, and they all sounded great, but I keep coming back to the Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in this amp. I think it tames the fizz at low volumes. I also like the reissue Tung Sol's, but they have a touch less gain than the EH's in my experience.

What a great amp!! I really love mine!

10. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

I'm playing a lot of stuff these days. Little bit of jazz, lots of blues, classic rock and then some newer rock like STP and Incubus. A good amp will cover a bunch of territory, which my HR does very well. It's so nice to have any amp that you can really ride the volume, tone and pups with and not really need to stomp on anything to get a huge range of tones.

Just so you know I am playing a new Les Paul std these days too. Although my Strats sound friggen great thru the HR too.

I agree with you that changing V1 will help take out some of the fizzyness. I'm running new Tung Sols in it right now but they are very noisy and I just ordered some RTF ECC83's. I've tried GT Mullards, JJ ECC83(factory tube) JJECC803 and a few other crap tubes I had laying around. I haven't tried the EH12AX7's though. I need to get me some of those.

The Winged "C"s are great tubes. I might put my pair back in my HR and run them for awhile just for fun.

Steve

11. Blueser

Blueser Member

Thanks. I tried the RFT in the SLO, and it definitely smoothed out the preamp in V1, though it made the amp much darker, and almost mushy in higher gain settings. As much as many here have praised the RFT 12AX7, I have yet to find an amp, and or situation where it fits for me.

12. empty71

empty71 Member

Thanks for the succinct lowdown on the 6L6 tubes. I too am considering the JJ/Tesla 6L6GC, SED SV6L6GC or TAD 6L6GC-STR for my just ordered Gries 35 amp.

I’ve just decided on the JJs and your post reassured me of my decision.

13. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Hmmm bummer. Mine should be here in a few days. Then I'll run them thru and see what they sound like.

Steve

14. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

:AOK