Soldano: Volume Boost Problems

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Drown, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Drown

Drown Member

Hi there!
    With my last amps I always used a MXR 10-Band EQ, a compressor or sometimes my old Guv´nor to boost my signal for soloing. But now with the Soldano Lucky 13 it didn´t work. Each of them only change the tone but not volume even when fully cranked up. Do you think a "real" Volume Boost pedal will do the job or has it something to do with the way the amp is wired?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

if the amp has an effects loop, put your boost pedal in there. you'll get all kindsa volume boost.

3. Drown

Drown Member

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Probably a good question for Soldano.

In the mean time, what are your amp settings? I've never heard of a boost pedal not boosting unless the amp was already cranked max, but if the sound you get is REALLY Overdriven, and the preamp is saturated, no...you won't get any more out of it. The preamp takes the signal to some level, the power amp makes it drive the speaker, but if the preamp is maxed, it's maxed and acting as a bottleneck.

But let me ask, IF you turn the volume of the amp down, pretty quiet...bedroom level, and THEN boost it with any of the pedals you mention, do you hear a volume change then? (I can't imagine not)

If yes, the problem is you maxed the preamp. It has no more to give.
    The only thing you can do then is drop the volume (mic the amp?) so you have headroom, maybe use different preamp tubes?

5. Drown

Drown Member

It is true that I have the gain pretty high as the Lucky 13 is still not muddy at higher gain levels. But the volume isn´t that high (mayber 3 or 4). I will try it tomorrow with an even lower volume level and a little less gain.

6. bilbal

bilbal Member

I have noticed a similar thing with my SLO. I have a Creation Audio Labs MK4.23 Clean Boost. When I hit all of my other amps with it, they growl and the natural tube overdrive from the preamp starts screaming out. It basically does nothing to my SLO. I speaking with people about this they told me it has to do with the huge amount of headroom in the SLO as opposed to my other amps.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think the key here is (at least with my SLO100) Soldano gets its unique and wonderful sound by really pushing the preamp, there isn't a lot more headroom on the OD channels.

I don't know the Lucky 13, but it really does sound like it is to the limit and no matter how much more you send in on input, it isn't going any higher...

Try the low volume test, and if it boosts then, I think it has to be that.

8. Drown

Drown Member

I just wrote an email to "Mr. Soldano" and asked him what he thinks but you´re probably right.
    We have rehearsal in a few hours. I´ll let you know when I´m back.

9. joellegros

joellegros Member

the same thing happens to me when I use my MK4.23 boost in front of my SLO. I've resigned to use it in the clean channel as the overdriven sound and then use the SLO lead sound for boost to solos.

I feel like I tried it in the loop before and it didn't seem to give the boost I was looking for. I'm wondering if it's that way because the loop is line level and the MK4.23 is an instrument level effect. I have the 24db boost version. So if it's operating at -10db and the loop is at +4db I wonder if that's only allowing the pedal to have 10 db boost after overcoming the level difference. I'm getting something in the mail this monday that should help to fix this problem though.