Soldering iron recommendations, please

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by clay49, Jan 13, 2018.

1. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

Hi folks, I need a recommendation for a reliable soldering iron. I’ve been using the standard Weller offerings from Home Depot, but the standard version doesn’t really get hot enough, or gets cold periodically while I’m right in the middle of using it, and the one with more power seems to fry all my soldering projects, just gets way too hot.

I don’t mind investing a decent price for a good, reliable tool. Would love to hear what you full-time luthiers use.

Thanks!

2. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have used a Weller WLC100 for many years with no problems. It is not a pro production tool but the temp adjustments work fine to tune it to the task at hand and the price is good. The cheaper non adjustable ones (is that what you are using?) are way down the scale for usability.

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I'd look at a soldering station with a variable temperature as you need the right temperature for the job at hand. Pot shell grounds require a hotter temperature than regular connections. Both a too hot or not hot enough iron can damage what your soldering.

4. clay49

Any particular brand of soldering station?

5. RLD

RLD Member

I recently bought this...my first solder station after years of using single iron and guns.
    Wow...what a difference.
    Cost was $44
    [​IMG]

6. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

That looks like a helluva deal for $44.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of American Beauty's irons. No gimcrackery, just a solid unit that will stand up under rigorous use for a very long time. It's what production shops use. I like this 40 watt unit for most work.

You don't need temperature control if the iron/tip has enough mass to it that temperatures don't fluctuate much. Solder melts at between 360°F-380°F, so having an iron you can crank up to 600°F+ is only necessary if the tip is gonna lose heat too fast. So, stay away from pointed tips. You want a narrow screwdriver tip...
    [​IMG]
    ...with about a 1/4" back to it. Touch that to a prospective joint, and the tip won't cool down, the joint will get hot. Then solder can melt/flow, which is the object of the exercise. A tip like that in the iron mentioned above can solder to pot/switch terminals just as well as to spring claws and pot housings.

They ain't cheap, but they're likely the last soldering iron you'll ever buy.

GA20T likes this.
  7. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

That looks pretty amazing for the price. I checked specs on their stuff and there are great features. No info on long term durability but serious bang for the buck.

8. JoePass

JoePass Member

Weller WLC 100

9fingers likes this.
  9. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Really depends on what exactly are you intending to solder.

There's a separate tool for each specific soldering job

the soldering iron I use to repair surface mount technology is very different from the soldering iron I use to repair the separated ground wire from a Fender Twin chassis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

Hakko FX888D-23BY

Weller WLC100

11. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

12. Lobotomie

Lobotomie Member

I use the Weller WES51 and it’s great.

A fat flat tip, 63/37 solder and a flux pen and you’re good to go.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  13. clay49

14. malachi1313

malachi1313 Member

Anything except a butane one. DO NOT waste money on a butane soldering iron.

15. JefeMaximo

JefeMaximo Huge Member Silver Supporting Member

Another vote for the Weller WES51.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Member

If you are only soldering guitar innerds, you don't need a fancy iron. Soldering is all technique.

tin the tip of the iron with solder.

Sand the back of the pots and pre-tin that spot plus tin the ends of the wire, then put them together and heat with a little extra solder to transfer the heat. Hold with a pencil tip until the solder cools, it should look shiny not dull.

$4 Harbor Freight soldering iron.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/welding/soldering/30-watt-lightweight-soldering-iron-69060.html

.. If you are messing with surface mount components then you might want to get a fancy soldering station.

17. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

You don't need to sand the back of the pots. All you need is a clean surface (alcohol) and flux.
    Pure rubbing alcohol and flux would cure most problems people have with soldering.

skydog, walterw and Mark Robinson like this.
  18. clay49

Think I’ll invest a tad more than $4 in an iron, given that my last two Wellers were about $25, one woild go cold and the other burned the crap out of my projects...solder would literally disintegrate.

I’m good on soldering technique (about 20 years of experience), just had some crappy luck with marginal irons over the last year or so.

skydog and JefeMaximo like this.
  19. clay49

THanks for the recommendations guys, I just placed an order for the wlc100.

Ayrton and 9fingers like this.