Soldering PP2+ boss type connectors

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joellegros, Feb 18, 2009.

1. joellegros

joellegros Member

Hey all, I'm in the process of wiring my new pedalboard and I want to keep all the cables as neat as possible. I bought these right angle connectors (see below) to change out the straight connectors on my Voodoo labs PP2+. I figure I'll keep straight out of the PP2+ and right angle at my pedals. Also, this way I can cut the wires to length. Anyways, Ive been reading up on how to solder these, but I'm still pretty new to diying cables. I know that all the pedals I'll be using these with are the regular boss style "center negative" type, but I just want to make sure I solder these the with the right polarity.

questions:

1. Where do I solder the negative and positive wires on these connectors?
    2. Where is the center lug for this plug?
    3. If I run these along side my instrument cable (lava solderless) will this
    create any kind of hum/noise in my system?

[​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=120321034015

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help with this. I've never really posted much from here, but I've found out a lot of really good information from this forum.

-Joel

2. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

the center tab is going to be the neg (thus 'neg tip') and the outer ones are the pos. each cable will have different color sheilding inside, just make sure that you do the same on both ends and voila!

3. Bloodbath

Bloodbath Member

Looks like to make them center negative you would solder the negative to the tab in the middle of the jack and the positive would solder to the flat part between the cable clamps and the white insulator.

As far as noise, there is always a possibility of intruducing noise when you run power wires next to signal wires but there is only one way to find out!

4. never-enough

never-enough Member

its doubtful that you will have noise issues running dc along side audio lines, problems are usually caused running ac near audio.

5. joellegros

joellegros Member

awesome guys thanks very much!

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Listen to Dan - he knows his stuff!:AOK

7. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

Also, it is easy to melt the conductors if you arent careful. You just solder the inside conductor to the center pin, and the jacket conductor to the lower portion of the plug metal part. For reverse polarity, you would just switch the cabling on one end (just in case you ever need to make a reverse polarity cable).

8. spence

spence Member

Why not just buy the VooDoo cables that are straight on one end and right angle on the other? That's what I did. It would save you lots of soldering.