Solderless George Ls or Lava cable?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Random Hero, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Which would you recommend? I guess with the way I wire my board up I need to make my own. I have a bunch of Evidence Lyric HG cable and could buy some Neutrik ends if I could solder but I dunno if I can manage not to make a pig's ear of it!

Which of these kits would you recommend? I hear George Ls are pretty bright sounding?

2. rp108

rp108 Member

Neither. Evidence cables are the way to go. Email Casey Hanson. Tell him Large Marge sent you.

3. kmcw

kmcw Member

4. AJBoy238

AJBoy238 Member

I've used George L for years with no problems.

5. pennylink

pennylink Member

Do you mean EA Monorail? What is the advantage over George L's or Lava?

6. Mikal69

Mikal69 Member

EA monorail, solid core copper leads, have had all three, guess which is still on my board?..... gives more of everything, highs, mids, lows, and no mush, best thing i ever did for my rig as far as cables go, and they can fit GL plugs. but i prefer to solder with WBT solder and G&H plugs

7. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

I used them for six months and had nothing but problems.

LAVA user/believer here.

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

There are more than just the 2 most visible brands you see here.

Personally, I prefer Bill Lawrence for the unfailing design that was eventually 'taken' by George L (and then implemented somewhat unsuccessfully on his rt. angle plugs). The big reason I like Bill Lawrence cable is that it is not microphonic, is idiot-proof easy to put together in literally less seconds than you have fingers, it is very low capacitance, and the short plug design allows for both fitting in tight spaces without creating that natural tension of a rt. angle kink. That and one has never failed me in years of use and abuse. Oh yes, and they're cheaper than any alternative. And you can't pull them apart unlike what I've heard about another in particular which is particularly disturbing given how some pedals that have virginal jacks require a sometimes extreme amount of tugging to remove the plug via pulling on the cable.

I mention it in this thread as well, where others also brought up more experiences with their particular brands also:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1005083

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  9. AJBoy238

AJBoy238 Member

Thats strange. I've heard a fair amount of stories of people having the cable go out on them but I've NEVER had this happen to me. Once I make a cable and have tested it, it always works. :huh I'm going on 4 years of using George L without a problem.

10. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Hated George L's for their sound/tone, didn't have that many reliability issues with them, just a few. I have to agree that you should pick a cable you like and solder your own.

Edit: I don't know where you heard George L's are bright, but they are anything but. I use Canare GS4 now (supposedly a pretty dark sounding cable) through a 90's AC15 and they are almost painfully bright compared to anything else I've used.

11. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

I have both George Ls and Lava on my board since about two years. Both didn't give me any problems yet, and if they sound different, well, the difference is to small for my ears to hear. Right angle Lava plugs however are much smaller than George L's, saves quite some pedal board space, that's why I would prefer Lava.

12. AJBoy238

AJBoy238 Member

I think "Bright" is kinda subjective. I use all George L's for my board and GFS instrument cables playing outta my 92' UK AC30 Vintage Top Boost and I have to nearly bury the Cut and Treble knob to not peel faces back.

13. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I've had problems with both GL & Lavas. I'm coming to realize that soldered cables are really the right way to go. Too bad it took so much $$ to learn that. That said, I can't afford to rewire a PT Pro yet again so the Lava's stay. If you need the convenience of solderless they both sound good.

14. 95strat

95strat Member

I've used George L's for years and had a few issues. If you move pedals much you can expect to have problems.

I switched to Lava and have had great results. They take longer to put together, but are better engineered.

15. pfineberg

pfineberg Member

Would anyone be willing to sell or trade lava solderless plugs with me? I could trade solderless George L plugs or buy the lavas outright. Please PM me if you think we could figure something out.

16. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

EA all the way.

Previous Lava user, I will never buy those POS solderless kits again. George L's are good and I used those too for a while, I just prefer the EA stuff these days.