Solderless Strat Input Jacks

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GeLoFi, Feb 19, 2009.

1. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I have at least 2 loaded pickguards that I love to swap in and out of my strat(s) but I'm getting pretty annoyed at having to resolder the input jack each time. I know that some parts guys sell loaded pickguards with solderless connections that you can just snap in and out. I was thinking of doing this myself but I can't figure out what type of connectors they use. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations??

2. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

You could try simple male/female spade connectors. Not sure about tone/signal loss, but if the connections are good they should work. What about the ground wire to the spring claw in the back?

3. -analog-

-analog- Member

Might want to look into Molex Connectors.
    I had 2 strats that I swap pickups in, I used a 1 pin snap together molex for the spring claw ground and a 2 pin for the jack, makes changing out very quick/painless.
    as for tone/signal loss- you could in theory fill the Tip of the molex pin with solder and plunge the wire into it - then crimp - would give you a more "solid" connection mechanically and physically

my .02 :) hope it helps.

mouser,digikey and parts express all sell molex products

4. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

Thanks guys, yea I'll do the spring claw as well probably. I would definitely crimp the pin and solder for security but once its set up I can swap with ease. Any other suggestions?

5. johnboho

johnboho Member

actually a small terminal strip were you would connect the jack to and then connect the pickups to that easy on easy off and a better connection john boho goood luck

they make different sizes radio shack or an electronics supply

[​IMG]

6. riker4208

riker4208 Member

terminal strip.....good idea

7. johnboho

johnboho Member

im in wisconsin send me some business

8. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

Im guessing that a 3-point terminal strip would work, ground claw, ground, and hot

9. johnboho

johnboho Member

yes that would be all you need check clearance before installing

10. DrBob

DrBob Member

I use a 9 pin RS232 plug and socket to do quick swaps on my scratch plate guitars.
    In the stock Strats you only need use 3 pins but if you've got active circuits/batteries in the guitar you still have pins available.
    Having said that I'd never thought about the negative impact on tone caused by the pin/socket, sounds alright to me though