Sole-Mate in front of overdriven amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tonybologna000, Jun 9, 2008.

1. tonybologna000

tonybologna000 Member

Hi,

I'll be getting my Maven Peal Ganesha soon, and I'm searching for a good natural reverb to use with it since the Ganesha does not feature reverb. I've read many good reviews and seen a couple videos of the Van Amps Sole-Mate, and I'm really compelled to the pedal, but since the FX loop on the Ganesha is tube buffered and the Sole-Mate is meant to take a high impedance signal, I can't use it in the amp's effects loop (the signal would be too hot for the pedal). This would force me to put the pedal in front of the amp.

I intend to use the amp with overdrive a good bit of the time. Has anyone had experience with the pedal being put in front of an overdriven amp? How does it sound? It would be great if this worked out, because then I could use the effects loop to switch channels in the amp (a feature of the Ganesha).

Thanks a lot,

Tony

2. FAC

FAC Member

Hmmmm...I think it sounds fine in front of a distorted amp if the level is adjusted properly--but here is my situation: I'm using a two amp setup right now, with one for clean and one for not clean (the Sole-mate is in front of both, before the ABY box). I've been setting the Sole-mate for use with the clean amp. If the not-clean amp is really pushing (into power amp distortion), I find that the reverb is "too much" when I switch to it from the clean amp--so I don't use it much with distortion. But, I can dial it back and then it is fine.

I think it is because the signal becomes compressed with the distortion, thus the reverb is brought more to the front.

Just something to keep in mind. I really do love the unit.

3. tonybologna000

tonybologna000 Member

When you're "not-clean" amp is engaged, is the reverb effect coming from the unit distorted at all? Does it lose it's smoothness/sweetness?

Thanks!

Anyone else have impressions of the reverb unit?

4. mbetter

mbetter Member

Why not just get a line level verb?

5. tonybologna000

tonybologna000 Member

Well, because I want a reverb with the natural sound of a real spring tank. The only other reverb unit I know of that features a real spring tank for less than $350 (basically my budget) is the Little Lanilei, and I've read that it only features very subtle reverb. I'd like something a little more versatile. And besides, I dont even know if the Little Lanilei is line level or not.

...So that's why.

6. tonybologna000

tonybologna000 Member

7. Zillie

Zillie Member

anyone know how does Sole-Mate sound after distortion pedals?

8. FAC

FAC Member

OK, I just spent the last 30 minutes playing with it through a distorted TopHat Club Royale--in my opinion, it sounds great into the CR (no pedals were used except for the Sole-Mate followed by a Zinky Master Blaster, which is a clean boost). We're talking a classic rock level of distortion, not quadruple rectifier distortion, keeping in mind this is not a sound I usually play with. Sounds just like I think an amp with spring reverb should sound.

Did this, too...I think it sounds a tiny bit better than going into the distorted amp, but both sound great. I was using a Box of Rock into a clean Victoria 20112 .

9. FAC

FAC Member

I don't think I answered this completely. The reverb is in front of the amp, so technically, it is distorted by the amp. But, any reverb used into an overdriven amp will be distorted if you're pushing the power tubes. Does it lose it's smoothness/sweetness? No, it still sounds smooth with the settings I'm using, but I have only used it into my setup, as described above.

10. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

No experience with the Van Amps, but personally I can't abide reverb going into distortion. I always need the distortion first, and then the reverb.

11. FAC

FAC Member

I agree that the dist. box into the reverb into a clean amp sounded a bit better than the reverb going into the distorted amp. You could achieve a similar effect by overdriving the preamp but not the power amp and then having a reverb in a loop (or built in).

However, any amp that is pushed to the point of power tube distortion will be distorting whatever reverb is there, whether it is on board the amp or as a pedal in a loop or in front of the amp.