solemate vs. mr. springgy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kekaiakea, Jul 20, 2008.

1. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

Anyone had a chance to compare the two?

I got a VA solemate which I absolutely LOVE, but want to make room on my board. Heard some good stuff about Lee Jackson's reverb, and I like the sound clips. It doesn't sound very deep or lush, but I only use verb sparingly.

2. FAC

FAC Member

This does not answer your question, and may or may not work for you, but I stack my tuner on top of the Solemate for more room on the pedal board...the tuner has a dedicated output from my A/B box, so I don't stomp on it (it's just on all the time, sitting on the solemate). I asked VanAmps if this was OK, and they thought it would be. So far, no problems.

3. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I run my solemate in the loop, on top of the amp.

Where in the chain do you run yours?

4. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

Right in front. Its the last pedal in my chain. None of my amps have effects loops =(

5. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Hmmm, everyone runs pedals different, but wouldn't it make sense to have the reverb as the first effect in your chain (base tone) and then add the different flavors on top of that?

It really depends on what you're going for though. Adding reverb to delay is always fun, and that's what my RRR will be doing.

6. FAC

FAC Member

Same here. It's the last thing before the amp.

7. davetcan

davetcan Supporting Member

I have both and bought the Springgy for the very same reason. I still prefer the Solemate slightly (and can't bring myself to sell it) but when I play out the Springgy is on the board. It can get very close to the Solemate and I'd wager 99% of the audience couldn't tell the difference.

8. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

That's what I thought. Thanks for the insight, I think it would be ok with owning both :AOK

9. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

What is the Mr Springgy??

Im in search for a killer add on verb and the Solemate has cought my eye but it sounds like it might bigger than I think it is...anybody got any board pics w/ one so I can compare???

10. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Lol, you probably a picture of a board w/ the solemate. The reason being, it's too big for a board. I solved that by throwing mine in the loop, where it sounds best, and saved about 1/4 of my pedal real estate. I'd say it will take up anywhere near 1/4 to 1/3rd of your board :tapedshut

11. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

anyone know if mr. springgy sucks tone at all? lee's website says it's true-bypass, but I was wondering if it alters your tone. also not sure if its digital or not. I love how on a solemate your tone remains virtually unchanged when it's on or off...

12. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  13. glblues

glblues Member

here ya go. pix off solemate on a board. goes to a tweed bandmaster. the pedalboard is a pedaltrain Jr. it takes up slightly more than a quarter of the board.

[​IMG]

14. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

If you like the VanAmps you will like the Mr Springgy about as much. Some folks complain that the decay on Mr Springgy isn't what it could be (somewhat true) but for a pedal its size, I think it's the most authentic sounding reverb pedal - the reverb has a depth to it that I haven't heard in the RoomMate for example.

15. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

Cool! i also have the RoomMate, and since I got the solemate, I only use the RoomMate with my acoustic setup (sounds GREAT on the acoustic!). The Solemate just has great depth, and I'm glad to hear the springgy is similar. I don't use a long reverb decay anyway. Thanks for the feedback.

16. kekaiakea

kekaiakea Rob Yamanoha

Nice board! Simple and clean...the VA just makes the board look sooo small lol.

17. lochry

lochry Member

Listened to you clips. I'M SOLD!

Hope Mr. Jackson sends you a thank you note.

18. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Nope no note yet. :)

It really is a great pedal.

-Chris

19. aberrant

aberrant Member

Man, that mr. springy is awesome....wow

20. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Someone mentioned in a previous post that they couldn't hear it while I was playing but I think that might have been the measly mic on my SR100 camcorder causing that. To my ears (in person) it sounds like internal Fender Reverb. Simple as that. Very organic sounding.

The pedal is flat out awesome!

-Chris