Solid Color Or Tranparent Finishes On Your Guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jwguitar, Aug 12, 2019.

1. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

What is your preference solid colors or transparent finishes. I prefer solid in General. Its been a while since I have owned a transparent finish with a flame or quilted top. I think for performing it helps the guitar stand out more when its a bright color.

Gary J and Carbohydrates like this.
  2. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

I like solid colors, but I'm an absolute sucker for transparent finishes. I want to see the wood grain and the beautiful craftsmanship.

3. 61cygni

61cygni Member

Best of both worlds, a 3 tone sunburst!

derekd, vbf and jwguitar like this.
  4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I like woodgrain. Translucent at least for me.

5. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I mostly prefer opaque finishes, but it depends on the guitar and what the wood looks like. I do like solid finishes on the top of a guitar with a transparent/natural back. And I like some transparent finishes (just single colors, no bursts) as long as there's not some ridiculously figured piece of wood I have to see through the finish...I'm just not a fan of most figured woods and would rather cover them up, so that alone eliminates most transparent finishes for me.

Carbohydrates likes this.
  6. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

I'm with you 100%. I have moved away from transparent finishes and I just don't like wood grain on a guitar very much. If it's gonna be there, I'd at least prefer it to be a TV finish or a dark stain or something that keeps it subtle. I'm also fine with a solid color top / natural back, like a blacktop Les Paul or similar.

From favorite to least favorite, with photo examples of guitars I own/owned!

1) opaque, solid color
    2) metallic
    3) transparent, single color
    4) burst
    5) natural

7. SDH

SDH Member

Enjoy both. Gloss black, snow white, honey sunburst maple, they're all beautiful. Ok, I have GAS now. :D

8. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

Ha, could have saved myself typing out a post because you nailed it beat for beat. Opaque yes, solid top / natural back yes, simple stains on non figured woods yes, no to bursts and no to heavy figuring. I like your taste. I'm even committing TGP heresy by having a burst Les Paul refinished into a solid color right now.

cap10kirk likes this.
  9. rednoise

rednoise Member

I have a distinct preference for opaque finishes on solid-body electric guitars, especially if they have a geometric shape like most Fenders. Slight translucency might be OK on a case-by-case basis. Subtle 'bursts might be acceptable on traditional-looking designs, like Les Pauls. I dislike highly figured wood with transparent or nearly-so finishes. When I see one of those the first thing that usually comes to mind is, "You're trying too hard", which could refer to either the player or the luthier, or both.

10. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

I like solid colors on my strats and teles, transparent or flamed maple finishes on my Les Paul and PRS types. Give me a good sonic blue and white pickguard on a strat or tele and I'm set.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 12:43 AM
  11. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

I’ve got at least one of everything: clear, sunburst, translucent, solid and metallic. Lucky me!

aussie_owner likes this.
  12. Pongo

Pongo Member

Got both, and honestly don't prefer one over the other. It's definitely individual to each guitar.

derekd likes this.
  13. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

14. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

I like them all, if it's on interesting piece of wood then clear or tint. Alder gets opaqued.

derekd likes this.
  15. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

I love ebony and surf/seafoam finishes, although...a lemon or tabacco burst really gets my juices flowing.

16. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

Wood can be one of nature's most beautiful creations/accidents. If you have it, show it ;)
    [​IMG]

HERSCHEL, ItsaRat!, mikebat and 2 others like this.
  17. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

To me it really depends on the guitar, so I can't give a proper reply.

Jugghaid and Boris Bubbanov like this.
  18. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

I prefer translucent colors on exotic woods and solid colors on plain woods

19. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Black or vintage/tobacco burst are pretty all I own. I do have a blackburst Epi LP 7string.

White looks great under the lights, I don't own a white guitar.

I used to be an only opaque guy, but I don't really have a pref. Natural/clear isn't something I gravitate to. That said, I do understand and appreciate wood as I refinished wood floors for many, many years.

20. Lloyd_m

Lloyd_m Member

Translucent for carved tops and solid for flat tops for me, although I wouldn't mind a solid colored carved top as long as the back is clear.