Solid Color Or Tranparent Finishes On Your Guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jwguitar, Aug 12, 2019.

1. c_mac

c_mac Member

They should probably spend more time practicing. I mean, what's the point of a fancy guitar if you can't play it well? It's just a shame these guys are trying so hard to look the part but don't have the substance to back it up.

HERSCHEL and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  2. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I let the body wood tell me what finish it gets.

A super nice to look at one piece body gets a TRANSPARENT finish. Or nearly so, maybe some tinted grain filler. All translucent means is, light gets through and so that could be a heavy dye or close to opaque toner finish.

Bodies with some wood beauty get as much toner as it takes, normally, to make the eye forget there's prettier bodies out there. The tinted grain filler is for me, the substitute for the dyes - gotta be real understated.

Solid color finishes are for patched together bodies, or to cover up the relocation of bridges or switches- or if the guitar came to me that way.

The main departure I do is, I don't go much for "over the top" flame or stripe. Less is more. I want a wood body that looks good to the user after he's having an iced tea after practicing for 45 minutes and is just reflecting. Subtle beauty. I don't really care what it looks like from 125 feet in a big arena, or on the huge monitors to the left and right.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  3. Robert Libutti

Robert Libutti Member

It really depends on the guitar for me. GENERALLY, solid on Fender styles and similar, SGs (or simple single color stains), V's, Explorers, translucent on LPs (but customs are cool in solid), PRS. Don't like heavy flame or quilt. Plain maple is my jam. Those quilted top Strats or S-type Schecters, no thanks.

4. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

If the wood has some nice character to it (not necessarily flame, could be a nice ash as well) I like a good dark sunburst a lot. Also like a nice trans white fender finish.

If it’s mostly figureless wood (some alder, most basswood, etc) then I like solid colors. Mostly black or white.

Mahogany I can go either way.

5. rednoise

rednoise Member

You can say that again!

6. tommygunn1986

tommygunn1986 Member

I used to hate "modern" finishes. I like guitars that look like 70s or earlier. So solids, burst, and natural finishes (including blonde, TV yellow, etc).

Lately though, I've been craving a shredder guitar that I can leave drop tuned and I think it would look good in a dark purple finish. Something like this
    [​IMG]

Sardocasm and ctreitzell like this.
  7. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I prefer transparent but it hasn't ever stopped me from owning a solid color I liked.

8. Stike

Stike Member

I like both but it depends on the wood. Some woods can be really boring or even ugly so why bother with a translucent finish on those?

9. mikebat

mikebat Member

I appreciate the art of a non-gaudy transparent finish, but...I tend to think of them as something to hang on a wall.

I prefer a solid finish for a guitar I will actually play. Extra points for sparkle!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  10. misterg71

misterg71 Supporting Member

11. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I have the most solid colors but a couple transparent ones and a couple natural ones.

12. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

I like color..if they are a little transparent I'm ok. I'm a child of the 80's and I love colorful guitars.

I have a Squier Std Telecaster with a transparent finish. This piece of Agathis should NEVER have been made into a transparent finished guitar! Ugly.

13. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

For me it is about the wood. I have built furniture, and love the look of the wood grain. So to me having a transparent finish it essential. There isn't going to be any significant tonal difference, so I go for the beauty.

14. BigBadOrange

BigBadOrange Member

Solid colors are the meat of a meal. Transparent finish is like the side dish. Custom paint (swirl, animal, graphics, etc.) is the sauce that ties them together. If any of the items are missing, the meal seems incomplete!

15. Slash

Slash Supporting Member

Both, why be limited to one?

It really depends on the wood... some wood should be painted others are too beautiful to cover with paint.

16. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I have to see wood grain.

17. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

This finish is see through but not so obvious.
    [​IMG]

A little more grain showing on this one.
    [​IMG]

The final translucent finish is on this one.
    [​IMG]

Not sure what this counts as.
    [​IMG]

Here's a solid one.
    [​IMG]

I guess I like both options.

18. Dale

Dale Member

Both and all.

19. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I like plain solid black or clear that shows the natural, or almost-natural timber. I also like the halfway house, Fender-style sunbursts. I also like Gibson-style sunbursts on acoustics.

20. ItsaRat!

ItsaRat! Member

I was really into flame and quilt for quite awhile. I still have a PRS custom 22 10 top and a Hamer Artist, and my ‘65 SG jr is gorgeous, but I’ve had a bunch of assorted bursts and flamey stuff over the years. The last bunch of years I’ve really been into solid colors and particularly metallics. I have to say though there are some gorgeous transparent finishes in this thread. My main three guitars are green sparkle, burgundy mist, and pink paisley. I’d love to snag something in an offset in Sherwood green metallic or metal flake, or maybe inca silver or shoreline gold.

tommygunn1986 likes this.