• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

solid state amp for Marshall cleans

krik

What's your favorite?

I'm using the JCM800 2203 low input as a clean pedal platform. Actually, straight in *is* my clean sound. Pedals are used only for mid- to high-gain (my highest gain being no higher than, say, Frank Zappa's, but I spend more than half my time up there).

Looking for a solid state "emergency backup" that won't suddenly change my base clean to Fender or Vox territory.

White Limo

I just got a 50W Marshall MG DFX the other day and I think my pedals through the clean channel sound really good. My main drive pedal is a Barber Gain Changer. It’s also got surprisingly great on board delay and reverb. Like, really good.

I’d grab a 100W HDFX head if I were you. Not the new ones, the older ones. They’re loud as heck too.

griley

I'd take a look at the jcm800 era solid state amps. I've previously used the 5275 "reverb 75" combo, and currently have a 3310 mosfet 100 head as a backup for my 2204.
While they don't quite have the magic of their valve siblings, they do sound good and they're definitely in the same ballpark tonally. Also, unlike many solid state amps, they're very well made and reliable.

BluGuitar would be perfect for you. It's loud and small enough to fit in a gigbag pocket. It has four channels, two being great for cleans, one of which is a dedicated clean with the other being Plexi-inspired and can go from clean to mean. It's not cheap, but the best solid state amp I've touched. I feel like I'm praising it every single day on this board.

Last edited:

krik

BluGuitar would be perfect for you. It's loud and small enough to fit in a gigbag pocket. It has four channels, two being great for cleans, one of which is a dedicated clean with the other being Plexi-inspired and can go from clean to mean. It's not cheap, but the best solid state amp I've touched. I feel like I'm praising it every single day on this board.
+1 for the Amp1, perfect emergency backup that could possibly become your #1 gigging solution !
View attachment 298033
No doubt it sounds great. In general I prefer gear that can easily be serviced by a local tech. But I will keep an eye out any deals I can't refuse!

I'd take a look at the jcm800 era solid state amps. I've previously used the 5275 "reverb 75" combo, and currently have a 3310 mosfet 100 head as a backup for my 2204.
While they don't quite have the magic of their valve siblings, they do sound good and they're definitely in the same ballpark tonally. Also, unlike many solid state amps, they're very well made and reliable.
3310 looks good. Price is a better for a backup, too. Just looking for a dependable tool that can do the one thing I need it to on a moment's notice, even if it's been sitting neglected for a time.

Open to non-Marshall suggestions, too, if the clean voicing is right.

krik

Bump. I'll broaden the field a bit:

Favorite solid state clean sound that's not voiced like either a Fender or a Vox?

I do need it to be a head, and I don't need it to be stereo (so, not lugging around a Jazz Chorus as a backup!).

Jim234

You can spend way too much on emergency backups that are rarely used. As some one suggested earlier pick up an MG series its going to be ball park. Or maybe one of the 80s Marshall SS. Mosfet has my vote. However you will be surprised at the 2nd hand value of these. Where as the MG series are cheap as chips. Never used my backup in 3 years, maybe I am lucky.

Trending Topics