Solid State Amp ordered. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rsm, Apr 6, 2015.

1. rsm

rsm Member

I've been using modelers direct to FRFR, but I also have MFX, pedals and tube amps. My main gear is a TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 direct to FRFR / FOH, the guitar "models" direct are ok, not great, I ran this into a Fender tube amp (Deco Tone) and it was an improvement. The VL3 has vocal processing, guitar processing and very good looper in a small package. For what I need / do, it is perfect but the guitar effects need some tweaking (I hope).

I considered building a new pedal board, but gave my TC Electronic Nova System a go and it sounds great (into the Deco Tone) and much better than the guitar effects in the VL3. Now I will try to duplicate the NS effects in VL3 but I wanted a clean amp for an effect platform since I will be using effects quite heavily.

I just ordered two Roland Cube-80GX amps, which I will run in stereo. I have amp stands for both, and there is a direct out of the 80GX to run to FOH (via DI). I considered a JC120 but the thought of hauling that around is not very interesting. For smaller gigs, I could get by on one 80GX.

Who else is using solid state amps to create a clean platform for effects? What are you using?

2. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

What made you choose the two Cubes instead of two small FRFRs?

3. rsm

rsm Member

I was not happy with the amp models in the VL3 direct, perhaps with more tweaking I'd get "happier", but it sounded better into a Fender amp. For a clean pedal platform and a basic/core clean sound I dig the JC120 sound, which the Cube has.

Getting the VoiceLive3 working for me is the goal; failing that, I may still build a new pedal board or wait on the Fractal FX8. The Line6 Firehawk is also another direct option, waiting on the manual.

4. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

ive never been able to look at an amp as a pedal vehicle anymore than i look at a guitar as a vehicle for strings.

whatever amp ive used through the years was always a huge part of the sound, honestly id say moreso than the guitar.

5. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

6. rsm

rsm Member

I did say I dig the JC120 channel of the Roland Cube as my core sound. ;) The amp is important to the sound. I tweaked the amp "models" in my VL3, and while I got acceptable tones, it was not quite where I wanted it. The Cube provides that JC120 clean I wanted; 2 Cubes are more flexible and convenient than one JC120.

I suppose it depends on the type of music you are playing. For what I'm doing, a large aspect is the use of and layering of effects. The JC120 channel also provides a great platform for these effects as well core clean tone that I can use as-is (i.e., without effects). YMMV That said, I can get a decent JC120 sound from my Line6 AMPLIFi, but the Nova System has spillover which is hard to lose; the Firehawk and FX8 are also future options I'm considering, as is a pedal board.

Edit: I may try to run the guitar out of the VL3 into the Drive or Line input of the Nova System, and be able to stack effects from both.

7. rsm

rsm Member

:bumpbump

who is using solid state amps? what are you using?

8. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

My guitar tube amps are in the basement, whereas my solid state bass amp (2010 Markbass CMD 151P Jeff Berlin) is in my bedroom. When I get lazy I sometimes play my guitars through this amp and it sounds friggin' amazing.

This weekend, I just bought the Zvex Box of Metal pedal. Played through the Markbass, it sounds exactly like a tube amp. The 15" speaker helps!

9. xchemie

xchemie Member

I love my Quilter MicroPro.

10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Any good quality, good sounding, SS amp is as good sounding as a good quality tube amp, to me. My pedals will perform into any amp that has a good base clean sound as I primarily use the base tone, too.

Freedom from amp tyranny and fear of backline letdown.

11. Triton76

Triton76 Member

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for $99 from GC
    Delay and reverb from Digitech RP in the loop
    No other pedals.
    Cleans are weak but the hard rock sound rips.
    Can do a decent bluesy sound too.
    I have a couple of tube amps but they get temperamental when you move them around a lot.

12. huutevar

huutevar Member

Also using a MicroPro with good results.

13. Lance

Lance Member

My go to 24 lb. small SS amp rig is an Ethos TLE pedal into a Muza FD-900, to the ZT Club 12. It'll get pretty darn loud if need be. You can do small gigs, or bigger gigs, and get great tone! The Ethos is just awesome. If I don't have to haul an amp, I can go direct. It's also my backup rig if I blow a tube in the Two Rock, Fender or Mesa, or any of them just stop working.

14. musicman1

musicman1 Member

I sent the Cube 80 GX back...not loud enough to gig with and the Roland JC model is lower in total output than the lead models...and I was using the Fender Deluxe model...you'd be better off with a light weight, 1 or 2 space digital power amp into two single 1x12 cabs.

The Cube will sound loud as hell at home and not push enough air on a gig...the cab is too shallow and their proprietary spkr isn't good enough

15. McQ7

McQ7 Supporting Member

I recently got a new Rumble 200 combo for bass and it sounds great with guitar and as a pedal platform. Very tweakable, which helps.

16. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Been using paired Tech 21 Trademark 60s for years and years.
    Both the clean and the dirt channels are superb (to me).

Just played a Quilter for the first time today.
    Unbelievable!
    Must have one pronto.

17. buddhuu

buddhuu Member

I use a Peavey Bandit as a slave amp with my smaller tube combos so I get the tube tones at Bandit power amp output levels. Also means that if one combo dies, I have the Bandit as a backup.

I've also used it with my Zoom G3X, bypassing the preamp and going into the FX return.

18. Dubious

Dubious Member

Ive got a bunch of tube heads but at the jam space i run an Accoustic 134 4x10 with a second detuned 4x10 extension cab. Paired with a JC 120 head thru a 4x12

Currently settup as a wet / dry rig

19. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I actually traded a Marshall Jubilee 2X12 50-watter (that I'd pulled out of the shipping box myself) for an Ampeg SS-140C (solid state) in 1989. IMHO, the Ampeg was a far better amplifier than the Jub.

I've spent a lot of time playing through JC-120's in the past but have been all-tube for my own amps since I sold the Ampeg in 1996. I did recently try out a Quilter and was hoping I'd fall for it. Unfortunately, the Quilter's tone didn't work for me - at least for the price they go for. It's certainly a flexible amp, and the clean tones were pretty good. I had a very difficult time dialing in an overdriven tone I could live with, however.

20. stratele

stratele Member

I decided to get new Roland Blues Cube Artist, it's great.
    Here it is