solid state amps, is ther a pedal that can make it sound like a tube amp??

gishlullmoon

wondering if theres any pedals out there that can make my raven amp sound like a tube amp...... those electro harmonix pedals seem to add distortion in the demos on youtube, i don't want extra distortion, just more tube like tone, not overdrives.........anyone know any tube like pedals that doesn't add distortio/overdrive/or grit?

Chandyland

You could always get a real tube preamp pedal like the Kingsley Squire and run it directly into the solid state power amp. Of course this won't make it sound exactly all tube, but it'll be a step in the right direction.

My Kingsley Minstrel sounds amazing as well, but it was originally intended to be used as an overdrive pedal.

WillLane

The TGP answer is generally going to be "Buy a tube amp".

If you're not happy with your base tone invest in creating that instead of buying pedals to bandaid the problem.

There are a ton of exceedingly affordable tube amps
:aok
---
Wait, TS has a Mesa and a Traynor. What are you trying to achieve?

440gtx6pak

What makes a tube amp played relatively clean yet loud sound like a 'tube amp' is the unnoticed way it subtly clips which acts as a 'limiter'. Maybe get a a Boss LM-2 Limiter pedal. They are only available used, but are still cheap (and most made in Japan too). They are good to always have one around anyway. Its the pedal for people who hate compressors, since it softens the peaks without bringing up the quiet sections. Used with subtlety it has a lot of uses and is a type of pedal that is under the radar with guitarists and more used by bass players.

Last edited:

Kid Casseroli

i don't want extra distortion, just more tube like tone, not overdrives.........anyone know any tube like pedals that doesn't add distortio/overdrive/or grit?
A few technical reports I have read on Tube vs Solid State Amps have demonstrated that in blind tests, and as long as neither amp driven into distortion (or O.D.), the difference in sound is undetectable.

It is possible that the difference you are hearing between your amp and a tube amp involves a certain amount of warmth provided by tubes, which is a slight distortion of the signal even when supposedly playing "clean". In that case, a tube pedal may help you, but it might be a wiser investment to purchase a tube amp with just a little more than the cost of the pedal. (IMO and in my experience, the less expensive tube pedals will not provide the tone you are searching for.)

It's also possible that the difference you hear is a result of different equalizations. A tube amp adds bass in the output stage for a fuller tone. a solid state amp does not. An equalizer for guitar or a speaker/cabinet simulator can help you determine if this is the case. Check out Tech 21.

Last edited:

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Gold Supporting Member
If you have a good solid state amp that has beautiful cleans but no dirt, there are lots of options. If you have a bad solid state amp that sounds like crap clean, no pedal will save you.

I've been using old Yamaha G50 solid-state amps lately that sound wonderful clean, but have no dirt. I have several different pedals that can provide a tiny bit of compression and grind to make it tube-like - DOD 250, HAO Rumble Mod, RC Booster, Giggity, etc. In practice, it's indistinguishable from a slightly-dirty tube amp, except that it's lighter and much cheaper.

KnowTalent

Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion
I'm really grooving-out with the new JC-40. Don't care much for its onboard distortion but the modulation is AWESOME!!!

FR5 & DD-500 provide great synergy :)

manasquanto

I'd be interested to hear from Ethos users, clean and otherwise. I imagine a lot of these guys use their preamps into solid state amps with success, getting a nice tube-like sparkle.

S. F. Sorrow

A lot of pedals with tubes in them are simply mimicking preamps. You need a tube power section as well.
I've tried running tube pedals in solid states and it still doesn't give the smooth fluid warmth of a tube power section.

jordane93

The TGP answer is generally going to be "Buy a tube amp".

If you're not happy with your base tone invest in creating that instead of buying pedals to bandaid the problem.

There are a ton of exceedingly affordable tube amps
This

I'm not a tube snob. I believe in solid state amps and have an issue with this notion of making solid state amps "sound like tube." Solid state has its own sound, its own application, its own thing going on and it drives me nuts that people can't appreciate that more often! Would the guitar tracks for Gang of Four or Tears for Fears sound right through a cranked JCM800? I think not.

That being said, not all solid state amps are created equally. JC-120s are great. Sunn Beta is great. Tech 21 as well. I'm also a huge fan of the old Peavey solid state amps like the Classic Chorus 130.

A Raven amp, on the other hand...

There's your trouble.

Clyde Bisbee

Silver Supporting Member
Personally, I will never be without a tube amp, but I can see myself owning certain ss amps. I would love to try a Lab Series, but a lot of newer ss amps get decent praise even on TGP. THR, G-Dec, Mustang.

To answer your question, OP, I have a Sansamp Liverpool that I've run direct into a PA in the past and have been pretty pleased with the results. Had a passable tube-esque warmth to my ears. I can only assume the other Sansamp character series pedals would be similar, so based on your tone preference one those might be an option for you.

Kerry

Trending Topics