Solid State Over Tube: Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GitarooMan, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

I must not fear (soldi state). Fear (of solid state) is the mind killer. It is the little death that brings destruction...

2. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Yeah, t00b amps are like a musical instrument rite, and SS amps are just amps.

Hurrrrrrrr

3. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Or, you know, SS amps just aren't as bad as you think.

Even the bestest player will still have to play straight out boring chords now and again. You can't "hide" bad tone, it's just that very few amps ever made have truly "Bad" tone.

4. WarrenZ

WarrenZ Member

Pedals react much differently to SS or tube amps. My Zendrive only sounds meh through my Trademark 60 combo. It took a lot of tweaking to get a great sound, but the Maxon OD808 sounds killer at any setting. Just drop it on the floor and kick it on.

However, the Zendrive kills through the old JMP but the Maxon OD808 sounds good but very one dimensional.

If I was playing the Trademark I'd pick the OD808, JMP would get the Zendrive.

5. HHB

HHB Member

I used SS amps all the time in my hard rock/metal days, it's got a tight bass and uber fast attack thats awesome for that style. I've heard tele guys kills w/ an SS many many times, I see them as a valid flavor for many styles

6. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

I agree with this 100%,EVERY amp I've played thru had a good useable tone

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  7. rsm

rsm Member

FWIW, I still dig my Tech 21 PSA 1.1 into a solid state FRFR rig. Very versatile, can sound like many classic tube amps, and also does many of its own things too.

YMMV.

8. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

It could just be the amps.

However tube amps stereotypically round off the highs more(often because of the speakers they're paired with) so using a more "full range" OD would sound better, whereas with an SS amp you might want one that filters off the highs more, which might sound a bit lifeless and dull through a tube amp. The highs are where tube/SS tone tends to differ. But of course, doesn't have to.

9. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Being just a home player now days I've sold off my 1977 JMP, Classic 50, Bugera, Vintage Modern, and play thru a Vypyr 75 and 15. Transtube is very surprising.

I heard some guy whailing away at GC last winter. Man did he sound good. As I got closer I realized I was going to buy whatever he was playing through. Yep freakin' cheap ass Vypyr. And yes, I bought it.

10. Unabender

Unabender Member

I dunno, but recently I have mostly been playing Vox amplug AC30 through a home stereo or head phones...

11. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Yeah, SS amps often have better cleans than tube amps which focus on an OD or "dirty clean" sound whereas SS amps can focus entirely on a clean tone.

Fender have made great SS stuff throughout the years, too.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  12. stillremains

stillremains Member

I recently purchased a ZT Club amp for home use, Great "little" amp. I agree with most of you about having a SS amp for home use, and for some quick recording. I have not tried the amp live or at any of my rehearsals (where i mainly use tube amps) Mostly because my set up is catered towards tube amps. I'd rather bring along a Classic 30 as a spare amp to my gigs then have to worry about how my pedals will react to a SS amp.

Not to sure about the “SS have nicer cleans then tube statement”
    I’ve yet to hear a SS amp that is as clean as any of my fender tube amps.

Here's a photo for all you junkies

[​IMG]

13. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

I love my late 70's Traynor TS-25.
    Yes, I play a Marshall, it's my main amp, but the Traynor is a surprising little gem.

14. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

How about analog solid state vs. digital solid state? For example, Vox's analog SS offerings had a nice feel to them, but I don't like the feel of their digital SS offerings nearly as much. (Digital effects can sound okay, but I'm talking to amplification itself.)