Solidgoldfx if 6 was 9 BC108CS

Medgeking

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I just picked one of these up via Reverb and I freakin' love it. Been looking for "The" fuzz face for many years and though it's too early to tell now, I think this will be it for me.

Previously, my favorite fuzz face was the Dunlop Hendrix version. I've tried a ton of other FF pedals, both Ge and Si and many that were 2-3 times the price of the Hendrix, but it's really a great pedal. I think this BC108 version of the SGFX If 6 Was 9 has the elements that really attracted me to the Hendrix fuzz (Tight, Grindy, Cutting yet Sweet), but the SGFX is much more flexible and has a sweeter tone to it.

Anyway, just wanted to plant my flag for the moment and offer my thoughts for those who are looking for opinions.

MogwaiBoy

Thread dig!

How do the BC108 and BC138 versions differ? Solidgold refer to the Custom Shop BC108 as having lower gain transistors... is it still thick enough sounding to hang with Big Muff?

jdunn

Thread dig!

How do the BC108 and BC138 versions differ? Solidgold refer to the Custom Shop BC108 as having lower gain transistors... is it still thick enough sounding to hang with Big Muff?
I found out the BC108 has metal film resistors, while the BC183 has carbons. This was done to further separate them tonally. So the BC108 is a bit more modern voicing, BC183 is more vintage voiced.

MogwaiBoy

I found out the BC108 has metal film resistors, while the BC183 has carbons. This was done to further separate them tonally. So the BC108 is a bit more modern voicing, BC183 is more vintage voiced.
I got the BC183 "Copper & Cream" edition and absolutely love it!

Trending Topics