Solo boost question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mxandmyax, Dec 18, 2009.

1. mxandmyax

mxandmyax Member

I'm running a few amps, rt 66, c30, vos 30..... I run them all overdriven at the amp (if just barely)

I can't seem to figure out something to boost for my leads that actually boosts in level and not just drive harder and compress more..

Clean boosts arn't the answer but what is? you guys have any secrets?

2. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

You need to place something after your amps preamp to boost the volume. Things like an EQ pedal, volume pedal, etc... In your amps effects loop will do the trick. Of course, this is assuming your amp has an effects loop, it was designed to work with pedals, it's series and not parallel, etc... All kinds of obstacles to making this work. Hopefully your amp is setup with these features.

3. Bigsby

Bigsby Member

Guitar volume knob.

4. mxandmyax

mxandmyax Member

5. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Check out Jetter Gain Stage pedals

6. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

you want a passive volume boost/box in the fx loop. Any sort of active circuit device will absolutely affect your tone or add a little extra gain. Sounds like you don't want that. Go to www.voodoomanswitches.com to see what he has. He makes a box that will do the trick.

7. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

If you have a Series Loop an EQ Pedal works well for me with my Tucana.
    No Loop, guitar volume knob.

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

All my amps have FX loops exactly for this reason. I use an EQ pedal in the loop. Its like adding a virtual 3rd channel by adding a volume and tone control-without affecting the pre amp gain. Bob

9. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

If you dont have an effects loop try an xotic RC Boost........between your guitars volume knob and one of these that should do the trick!

10. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
  11. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

The issue is that a valve amp is overdriving in the first place because you've ran out of headroom but kept pushing the signal. So if you're running the amp distorted before you even stand on your boost, getting more volume out of it is harder. That's why people use tubescreamer type pedals that cut bass - because with less bass to eat up headroom, there's more room for the mids to get louder. And since mids cut through band mixes, the guitar gets clearer in the mix too. So if you're not prepared to run your amp cleaner, you need something like that to push solos further out front.

Of course, with multiple channel amps it's not so much an issue because you can adjust each channels preamp gain and overall volume to taste... but this is how I do it with my ac30.

12. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

There's a solution with Weber's MASS Attenuators. Get it with the footswitchable Bypass feature.

Set your rhythm/band volume with a slight attenuation with the MASS. Then if you want to boost your volume, step on the bypass footswitch. With the attenuator bypassed, you get the full volume of the amp.

Mission Accomplished for about $150.\

I've owned the Dr Z Route 66. I've found that an OCD or Fulldrive pedal will actually boost volume in that amp.

13. el34power

el34power Member

+1, Yes sir. that is the only solution for a good volume boost on a driven amp. Trust me! If there was a way to do otherwise with my 84(no loop), 2203 i would of found it.