Solo boost with a Trainwreck Express

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lublin, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

I have a great sounding Express clone that I want to start gigging out with but I'm a little confused how I'm going to get a volume boost for my solos. If I stick a clean boost out front all it does is overload the preamp and add gain. Any suggestions?

2. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

You don't need it!! Use your guitar volume controls and finger pressure....That was Ken's idea when he designed the amp.

3. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Guitar volume knob!!!
    Who built your amp?

4. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

If I need full overdrive for the song and have my guitar knob at 10 then there's no more volume to be added for a solo.

5. doc

doc Member

Thats what these guys are saying - you shouldn't have your guitar volume at 10 UNTIL the solo. Sounds like you need to either adjust your playing style or change amps. One of the cool things about a 'Wreck is its ability to stay in the same volume ballpark but clean up the sound by turning the volume down, then become a raging distortion monster with the knob at 10. If you need 2 distorted channels with different volume levels (which I suspect from your response) it'll take a little creative thinking.

You might try putting a 12AT7 in the first socket to clean the amp up some and allow some headroom, and put a distortion and or boost pedal in front of it to give you what you want.

6. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

This is my exactly my issue!

7. RCM78

RCM78 Member

You didnt say what type of music. If it's mostly higher gain stuff then the Wreck might not be the best choice.

8. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

I wanted to bring it to some cover gigs that are quite a spread in styles. The Express can handle all of the material, just not a volume boost. So annoying as the amp sounds AMAZING.

9. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I agree with this. If, you can't do that, maybe a Wreck-style amp isn't the best choice for you.

10. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Oh it is, just not for this gig!

11. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

A good soundman would solve your problem.

12. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Greer tonesmuggler

That's what I use when I need a little more 'over the top' with mine.

There's one in the emporium (not mine) for less than 100 bux

13. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Indeed. Some of these venues don't have one, though. It'a just a plug and play situation.

14. doc

doc Member

My advice JUST FOR THIS GIG is to get an OD or distortion you like along with a boost pedal (or something like a Tim, that has both), put the 12AT7 in V1 to let you have some headroom, and you should be fine. I agree this is not "optimal use" of your amp, but should solve your current problem and sound fine. Just don't tell tejastubes where you're playing - he'll come put the Kenny F. hex on ya for defiling the purity of your tone. If you don't like it just change the tube back, take the OD and boost back to the store, and I'll refund all the money you've paid me for my advice.:bonk

15. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

If you play with a trainwreck express you are supposed to be using your guitar volume clean rhythm 3-4, crunch rhythm 5-8 depending how loud dirty or clean you can control it with your right hand picking pressure and 9-10 should be solo also articulating your right hand pressure for solo dynamics. That should boost you. You could use an airbrake on top of the head and use 2 clicks diference between solo (being open) and not soloing. That could give you 4dB of diference but you need to be fast.

16. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

i run my express at 10-11 still has a fair amount of headroom. when i need more, i hit it with a OCD. Ive played a hundred shows with my trainwreck express and it works just fine that way. No ones come up and said "oh, you shouldnt do that with an express, your losing tone and kenny wouldnt like it!"
    who cares. it sounds just fine to me.

17. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

If you do this, Kenny's ghost will come in the middle of the night and scare you to death for doing this!!! NO GAIN PEDALS with express or Liverpool!!
    :sarcasm:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

18. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

bah humbug!!!

19. LPVM

LPVM Member

When you find yourself in that position there is one clear solution, attenuate slightly for Rhythm and bypass for lead boost. That will let you keep the same tone you love and just change volume. There are plently of attenuators on the market that will work. You want one with a footswitchable bypass. The Minimass runs $115 and the footswitchable bypass option is a $25 adder. Problem solved.

20. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Funny - I was thinking about the attenuator route, too.

Imagine a footswitchable attenuator. Someone make it!