Solo boost with LOADS of output

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeSelmer, Sep 28, 2005.

1. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Hi all! My band plays high gain rock. Currently, I use a Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion to get those singing midrangey single notes with loads of sustain. I love the pedal for what it does. However, it just doesn't have enough output volume for me - I can't hear it when I use it as a solo boost in front of my Marshall 30th Anniversary head.

Which other solo boosters should I look into to get this tone and LOADS of output? I'm not for looking a particularly transparent sound (for once!), but singing, tasty high gain sweetness with hard rock punch ;-)

Cheers,
    MIKE

2. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

The thing the works best for me is putting a (clean) boost in the loop of the amp. Everything in front of the amp only drives the preamp harder and adds more distortion but no extra cut for solos. YMMV

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

This is only a problem if your amp is currently almost maxed out on headroom. If you still can increase the volume on your amp without overdrive coming in, a clean boost in front of your amp will work fine.

Aside from that, +1 on everything

4. el34power

el34power Member

+1 on that. If i hit the front of th 2203 to hard as a basic sound, i have no headroom left for whatever boost i put in front. So i ease up on the OD output and use (alternatly) a Boss GE7 eq with a few boosted frequencies as well as a level boost. I also use a Super Chili Picoso once in a while. I think the trick is "headroom" or effects loop...if you have one

5. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

Putting a pedal in front off the amp will probably not give you the volume boost you want. For a volume boost try a clean boost in the effects loop.

Currently I have a MXR Wylde pedal in front of my amp just to give my solos more sustain and to get the harmonics to fly out. For a volume boost I have a solo setting on my T.C. G-major in the effects loop of my SLO that adds about an 8db gain. Since your kicking up the preamp before the power amp section you can get the volume boost you are looking for.

6. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

I agree with using the efx loop if you can... I run a zvex super hardon in the efx loop of my KHR for a volume boost. I also run it in front of the amp and prefer how it sounds in front of the preamp... but for pure volume control it works best in the efx loop

7. thintele

thintele Member

I think I will have to try this..

so if you are running delay or modulation effects in the efx loop, do you put the clean boost in front of or behind the other effects?

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Generally, you should try it out for yourself.

However, most people put it last, as most pedals can't handle the increased output from the boost.

9. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I will try my boosters and overdrives in the effects loop of my Marshall first thing tomorrow. Here's what I have got available to try in the loop (and still aiming for that good old singing midrange kinda rock 'n' roll tone :
    * Zvex Super Hard-on
    * Fetto overdrive
    * MXR Micro Amp
    * Hermida Mosferatu
    * Boss DS-2
    * Crowther Audio Hotcake
    * Keeley modded RAT2

Does any of you have experience of using any of these in the effects loop of an amp?

MIKE

10. el34power

el34power Member

Holly crap! If you can't find something in there that'l do it, we have a more serious problem;)
    I would put my money on the MXR,SHO and MOS. to start with.

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I am not sure why you have all those high powered OD pedals for an amp line known for its distortion. Do you have your amp set clean or dirty??? If its set to anything more than classic rock crunch I would use one of your CLEAN boosts in the FX loop (SHO or microamp) for solos. If you want something that adds volume AND dirt I would look into a low gain OD/boost like an LTD, Tim or RC booster. If you want more volume AND sustain get a compressor and try it in the pedal chain and in the FX loop and see what works best. Layering a Rat, Mosferatu, Boss distortion or other high gain pedal on top of a raging marshall sounds like a recipe for mud to me.

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Oh yeah, one more thing. OD pedals sound notoriously bad in the FX loop of tube amps. They are designed to be in front of the amp. Stick with the clean boosts in the loop.

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

actually, for ***** and giggles, I once stuck my Hot British in my fx loop (marshall AVT). Single note lines sounded horrible, but for power chords, it sounded lusciously full. The clean/dirty mixed signal was gorgeous.

Nothing should be discounted right off the bat.

14. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

You lost me after "single notes sounded horrible". :p

15. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Well, I just purchased my Marshall. I have gathered the OD/dist pedals for use with my LOUD Selmer 50W Treble 'n' Bass head that won't overdrive before my head explodes. So they are lying around here.

16. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Gotcha. Thats sorta like my rig: A lOUD 50 watt SF bassman. Good luck with the Marshall. As a child of the 80's I always wanted a JCM 800.:dude

17. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

well, obviously it would be all but useless in a live setting. It's a good thing to keep in mind for the studio, though, if you want an ambiguous type of rhythm track

18. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

Colorsound Overdriver :D