• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Solo Performers

theHoss

Howdy,

I really enjoy performing live, however it seems that I am always dependent on a band. As we all know the band comes and goes but the performance demons still haunt us. That being said, I was considering doing some solo work. I was considering going 'monk like' and focusing on solo jazz guitar. I was also considering looking into looping. I really enjoy using a looper and laying down loop after loop until it is this melodic wall. Maybe both?

I know there are other TGPers that do both. I was just curious what you guys are doing as solo artists?

Videos, URLs, etc would be much appreciated. I need the inspiration so I can ditch the 4 piece addiction.

Thanks!

R3deemed

You've probably heard of her, but there's a thread around here on KT Tunstall (sp?). Plug her name into Youtube, and there's some neat stuff there. I really like Black Horse and the Cherry Tree. She uses an Akai Head Rush (she explained in an interview on VH1.com) and stops on a tambourine or slaps her guitar for percussion. Neat stuff, and a nice change of pace.

countandduke

Well, are you talking about doing solo guitar jazz stuff ala Joe Pass or ambient stuff like Torn and Fripp??? My Eventide Eclipse was GREAT at doing really cool ambient spacey pads. For Joe Pass stuff, chord/melody is a must.

Good luck.....

Chris

JRenn

Silver Supporting Member
I think the most essential foundation for accomplished solo work is a strong sense of rhythm. Some people argue that it's either "You got it or you don't", but I've seen many cases where simply practicing with a metronome greatly improves one timing. On top of that, and equally important, is shaping melody and harmonies. Joe Pass is a great guy to look up to for that.

daveski

All of my home brew recordings were basically just me adding vocals and leads to the 'backing tracks' I created for the purpose of playing out. The first track (if you will) was the drum machine plus either guitar or keyboard backing track. Then I played that back and added the bass on top. I played out a couple of times using them and it worked out fine. I would prefer to do the whole thing with a band but.... constraints of time, motivation, etc........

Strung Up

Well, are you talking about doing solo guitar jazz stuff ala Joe Pass or ambient stuff like Torn and Fripp??? .....

Wherever you're targeting on the above axis, don't be afraid of space. There's a tendency for many solo artists to feel they've got to 'keep busy' to communicate.

DeCosteOnline

i'm an instrumental guitarist who performs solo and also with a band. for the electric stuff, i usually bring the band and used to do solo acoustic stuff - until i saw howie day. check out "ghost" on youtube.com. it made me rethink my approach and dig into looping a bit more. w/ an octave pedal & looper, you can do some amazing things (of course, chorus, delay, reverb, etc doesn't hurt). best of luck.

Bryan T

guitar owner
Double Platinum Member
Most of my performances are solo acoustic or dobro. I play my own compositions and find it to be very rewarding.

Bryan

Jim Soloway

I've been gigging almost exclusively as a solo for about 12 years. I went the chord melody route. I also sing. I do a bunch of standards, some Brazillian, some swing tunes. For a lot of those years, I used a 7-string but I've recently gone back to 6-string and it seems to work just as well. The benefit is that I'm completely self-contained: no band and no technology. The down side is that my musical direction is not very flexible.

gennation

When I did solo I just played guitar and did a little singing. Here's a video... http://youtube.com/watch?v=nAF_aEaqqYI

I thought about getting into loops since I like to play over static drones alot. But I like folksy bluesgrass-ish stuff too...there's thing called a "Porch Board" that set on the floor and tap your foot on, it has outputs you can connect to the mixer and it sounds just like you're tapping your foot on the porch. That was something I was going to add into the mix but got out of the solo stuff.

Here's the Porch Board... http://www.porchboard.com/

Trending Topics