Solos Under Siege: Country Radio Combats 'Bored' Listeners By Cutting Guitar Parts

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Heinz57Pep, May 7, 2015.

1. taez555

taez555 Member

Guitar solos have been cut out of radio edited songs for decades.

2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I don't often listen to country music, so I haven't noticed that, but I haven't noticed it on at least one pop song, so I don't disbelieve it. The guitar era is, I suppose, officially over.....

3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

More time for commercials!

4. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

That sucks but not new. Editing singles has gone on forever. DJ used to - might still, I don't listen to alot of radio - "ramp" or talk over intros until the last possible second before the vocals kicked in, and bragged about that "skill".

Hell, they would break in during solos for "witty patter"!

The audio version of watching Mick Jagger's face fill the screen on Ed Sullivan with only a few seconds showing Brian and Keith, who I wanted to see and which was why I was watching.

Also why, even as a die hard rocker, I watched all the country shows on Saturday: Porter Waggoner, Wilburn Bros., Flatt and Scruggs, Jim and Jesse...they showed the playing. My Youtube...

Noodle!

5. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Perhaps why it's more noteworthy because it's country.....a genre known for its pickers.

6. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

But heaven forbid they should cut out the 3,475th repetition of singing the chorus.

7. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

I'd be quite happy if they cut out the intro, the verses, the choruses, the bridge and the outro as well. :)

Modern "country" (quotes very intentional) is just awful.

8. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

Sounds like a good idea to me. Just let the lead guitar "noodle" in the background. Fun!
    EDIT: I love to noodle.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  9. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Now if they'd just cut out the "bars, trucks and beer part"............ it aint country anymore anyway. Just "rock n roll without the soul".

10. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Modern Country radio is a singles-oriented format, hence the vocals and the chorus hook are key. Everything else just gets in the way of the all-desert-all-the-time singles culture.

11. Lance

Lance Member

I've said this a million times on TGP. I can't believe people actually still listen to the radio. There are so many better and more efficient ways to enjoy music that you actually like, rather than what someone else thinks you like. The biggest bonus is NO COMMERCIALS! That, and no annoying DJ talking over the beginning and end of the music that you're trying to listen to.

12. gennation

gennation Member

The trading licks in that video happens around 2:10, and the real rippin' starts around 3:10...I skipped through the rest of the tune and only listened to the guitar solos. I'm the opposite of the crowd they are marketing to. I like how they ended with the Smoke on the Water phrase too.

13. gennation

gennation Member

This statement:

"But shorter singles make it possible for stations to play more titles in the course of an hour, and the solo parts are where it's the easiest to make an incision. So singles often go under the knife."

The flip side is when classic rock bands with tons of famous tunes play live (ala Aerosmith, Heart, etc...) and they have to play their songs super fast to fit more songs into an hour and a half and not have to play for three hours just to fit them all in at a nice tempo. That's something that bugs me, but at their age they need to get done at a reasonable time I guess.

14. speedemon

speedemon Member

It's funny, I was at an audio engineering trade show, at which some fairly established engineers and journalists were presenting seminars on engineering. One of the topics was analyzing hit songs. They played a song sung by Bonnie Raitt that had enjoyed considerable pop success, then played the original recordings, and the demo by the songwriter. All the presenters felt removing the guitar solo was rather "controversial" given her reputation. I laughed, in creating a pop hit, removing the guitar solo would be step one now that the 70s are over.

15. tresspassor

tresspassor Member

If they did that then every other word would be "girl".

16. SPSurgeon

SPSurgeon Member

What the radio stations do means little anymore. People listen online or to d/ls now.
    Solos have definitely not been cut at the jams that I go to.

17. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

Hey Girl Yeah Girl Oh Girl C'mon Girl Wait Girl You Girl Stay Girl.

:rotflmao

18. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

And "jeebus".

19. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Well, some people do. Maybe most don't?

Here’s a statistic that may surprise you: In 2013, 91 percent of Americans aged 12 and over listened to terrestrial radio — meaning AM/FM — on a weekly basis. And while that number is down from 96 percent in 2001, that’s still an enormous chunk of the population — higher than the number of Americans who use Facebook. And these weekly listeners don’t just hear a song or two. The share of total hours Americans spend listening to terrestrial radio is a whopping 81 percent. Meanwhile Internet radio’s share is only 11 percent and satellite radio’s share is 8 percent.