Soloway Swan NYA Demo Tour -A Very Fine Instrument

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Groovey Records, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Sad day today.

Ya see I've been the benificiary of Jim Soloway's Touring Demo Guitar program. And this afternoon it is going to the next lucky guy.

I have wanted to try one of Jim's Guitars for some time now.

I was intregeged by an over the phone demo I first heard for an amplifier. It sounded so good I asked what guitar was he using. The answer was a Swan with P90's. Well I bought that Amp and a Year later I got the chance to play a Swan through the TopHat Supreme 16, a 65 BF Vibrolux and a 67 VibroChamp. (yea that one )

I also got to compare this guitar to my others and spend a lot of time adjust my settings, playing different styles, and just finding out what the Soloway Swans are all about.

I received the Guitar Thursday and spent a few hours right away with it and My Vibrochamp. Such tone, I have never heard that amp sound so alive, full articulation and Chimey. Oh Brother !

It must be the way Jim constructs the Guitar with Tone Chambers on the bass side and also on the upper bout of the treble side of a swamp ash body. Add a one piece Maple top and the instruments resonance is really alive and full.

This is a new model for Jim called the Not Yet Another (NYA) guitar. I am sure the sparkle has a lot to do with the string thru body design and the set up on the bridge

The Pick ups DiMarzio area T's Neck and middle, with a virtual lead at the bridge. Very nice control layout, 5 position blade selector volume and two tone controls. Sweeping range of tones and very dialable in small increments. I don't know what pots are in there but very sensitive to micro control adjustments.

Like I said this is the greatest way to demo a guitar, I was able to run it through 3 different amps using all the channels and amp voicings at any volume I wished.

But here is what I didn't say the Swan is an Acousticly Alive Guitar it was in tune when I took it out of the case first time. I spent some time just playing a spell, while checking out the perfect intonation and set up. Harmonic perfection all up and down plus even below the neck. Very nice Machine Heads BTW.

I really like the scale on the neck and the shape of the body. It is a ergonomicly well conceived and executed design. Not a hint of copy cat here, a unique all original design with the best elements of some classics. Not the Same guitar at all, but I felt like it invoked some Rickenbacker in its vibe.

The scale of the neck didn't phase me at all. I just jumped right in and the water was Fine. Very smooth and silky from the top all the way to the bottoms transitioning to the body cutaway. The vibe on the neck had me doing a couple of behind the nut bends. Yippee!!

It is an Inspiring Players Guitar.

Jim, I'm gonna say straight up I had my way with your Guitar, she sure puts out and like any great guitar opened up new riffs and rhythms from my soul. I brought it to a gig on Friday, The opening of the Octoberfest at Whiteface Mountain near Lake Placid. Everyone that layed their hand on her came up with a smile. I sure had me a damn good time !

My photobucket isn't working so here is a link to Jim's NYA Pictures and details about the tour program

Soloway Swan NYA Demo Tour

2. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Maybe i need a NYA as my 6th Swan :drink:AOK

3. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    For you it would be Not Yet Another.

For me it would be a "What took you so long !"