Soloway website

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by lv, Aug 19, 2007.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

I recently checked out the Soloway website and found it to be one of the very best guitar websites I have seen. Pictures and clips of what looks to be every guitar he has made.

Plus, those long scale guitars sound so pure, love the bandwidth of the low notes.

Are these guitars tuned lower than typical? Has anyone used one for some quasi-bass lines?

http://solowayguitars.com/

2. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

The guitars are played / recorded in regular tuning.
    The extra low bass notes are played on the 7 string models.
    I will spare you my own gushing enthusiasm....
    Just go for it / them! :) :)

JJ

3. mbrown3

mbrown3 Member

Yep, the more respondent bass is part of the longer-scale package. Great stuff. Jim just sent me a note that mine is done, and the photos and clip are up, http://www.jimsoloway.com/CompletedSwans/G173Mahogany/GalleryG173.htm. Came out EXACTLY as I wanted, and the clip demonstrates how clear and articulate it is...just what I was looking for. Should have it Tuesday, can't wait.

4. mprvise

mprvise Member

Yeah, his site makes it very hard to resist once you decide you're interested.

Congrats on the new guitar mbrown3 - you will love it!!!

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Member

I absolutely LOVE the simplicity of the site. No Flash ******** to make it more difficult for the viewer to find whatever it is he (or she) is looking for! :dude

6. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

Love the short horn.

7. t3oi

t3oi Member

If you like the website, you should play the guitars...they're even better. Jim builds a great guitar and the extra scale length adds some magic to the overall sound.

8. mbrown3

mbrown3 Member

Thanks! I had the demo guitar for a week or so, so I have some idea what I'm getting into. I wanted a slightly warmer tone, so went with mahogany top, and a real articulate sound, so went with Fralin P92s. Based on the brief clip Jim posted, I think it will be EXACTLY what I was looking for. Tuesday will be a good day.

9. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

Thanks all for the many kind words.

I do have some background in software development. I've always believed that the best software is software that's easy to use and I've tried to follow that philosophy in designing and maintaining the site. I still think the site has too many options, so I'm glad to hear that people find it useful.

And Lou, in response to your questions...Our guitars are designed to be played in standard pitch and that's how most players use them. There are a few of our players who take advantage of the longer scale length to tune down and a few of my clips are played in open D tuning, but most of what you hear on the site is tuned E to E. The longer scale length does give the low end a lot more clarity and balance and I suspect that's part of the added band width that you're referring to. BTW, that's about 1/3 of the guitars we've built, mostly the newer ones. I wasn't nearly as well organized for the first few years but I plan to keep adding some of the older guitars to the gallery over time.

And for anyone who's interested, there are some changes coming in the next few weeks in how we do things. After five years, it's time for use to get a little more organized and streamlined. I'm pretty excited about some of what's coming, so watch the Dealer/Builder area for announcements in September.

10. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

best sounding guitars made in my opinion, I have two and love them. Jim is also a terrific guy. Never had a guitar that sounded clearer, and was as focused as the Swan

11. onemind

onemind Member

Didn't know Jim kept all of 'em in the gallery...mine's here!
    Click

12. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

I love my Soloways, what can I say? And Jim is a pleasure to work with.

Both of my current Swans, as well as my first, dearly departed 7 string, are featured in the Gallery.

And I agree, the web site is simple and effective. Good work Jim!

13. Testudo

Testudo Member

Dan's dearly departed 7-string is happily living at my house now. Great guitar in all respects. Now I feel the need to find it on the website.
    I'll add another endorsement for Jim's guitars and for Jim himself. Top-notch in every respect.:BEER

14. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

As soon as I get the green light from my wife, I'm going to buy/order one...Jim was kind enough to send me his demo guitar and I kept it for about a week and fell completely in love with it.

15. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

Let me just say one thing: good move :)

16. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

+1,000,000

I've fought that war *many* times with band members over website design

and yes, I love Jim's site too

/rick

17. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

Truly an awesome web site.

18. Shadscbr

Shadscbr Member

very cool site Jim! The gallery on the main page is great , no digging necessary :) To top it off, my 7 string is 2nd row center...woot!! :D

Shad