Solved / Would you go around with your 20k guitar?

ricstudioc

First, I'm not much of a fanboy for uber-expensive instruments, my collection ranges from $2500 down to a couple hundred bucks. But Sweet Jeezuz that thing is simply breathtaking! Congratulations on a beautiful piece of work (like YOU made it, right? :)).

Yeah - don't take it to class. Not sure why all the hate on the HB's, they're basically well regarded in their range. But maybe spend a few bucks more - look at a Sire. Bang for the buck on those is simply nuts, they punch way above their weight.

zul

Gold Supporting Member
Might have to tweak that decision if you want to stick to your one guitar philosophy.
That guitar has to fit all situations to fulfill that equation.

rob2966

Didn't read all the replies so expect this has already been said but, since you can afford that private stock guitar (gorgeous BTW) then it should be fairly simple to pick up another PRS (Core, S2, SE) to use for those situations you feel apprehensive about taking the fancy one. It should have some of the same feel, etc. since it is after all another PRS.

brew58ski

I have an aquaintance that had a pre-war Martin he got for $3,000 in the early '80's. Last year he decided to have it appraised by a reptuable dealer in Nashville. Appraisal...$50,000 which is what he got for it. Of course we all have probably thought about how cool it would be to have a pre-war Martin. This cured me of that. It made me realize not only will I never own a guitar like that I would never want to. Aside from the absolutely outrageous price, I would NEVER take it out and it wouldn't take a master criminal to break into my house and quickly grab a guitar worth $50,000. If I did play it, it would only be at home for myself or maybe a few friends. I think it's disgusting how the prices of old guitars have gotten. Aside from the obscene prices, I think the higher in price an instrument becomes, the less it will be played and at $50,000, There's a good chance it will wind up in a glass case and barely played at all. What a shame. To me it ain't a guitar until it's being played. Otherwise it's just wood, metal, plastic and strings. I realized that when I went into my first Hard Rock Cafe. "yup, Robin Trower played that guitar right there" that'll be $30 for that burger and beer. So what? I want to HEAR Robin Trower play guitar. (I did in a small bar in Boise Idaho in the '80's. Table right up front center. Went an hour or two early to get in line. Not necessary at all. Apparently no one in that area knew who he was. Was everything I would have hoped it would be)

I saw Clapton's Blackie Strat, the one he used the most. Ya know what was so special about it? Nothing. It was a black Strat. Alder body, maple neck. Old yes. Take away the name and the year and stick it next to a bunch of other similar Strats, you'd be hard pressed to tell it from the others. All you have is a piece of alder and maple that isn't doing anyone any good except the owner who charged people to see this instrument you won't hear. Yeah, I understand the historical significance of it. Doesn't change at all how I feel. It's a shame. So I'm totally content with my middle of the line Taylor and if I really want an old Martin, I'll get a reissue. I'm sure it will sound pretty close to that $50,000 Martin for around $43,000 less. At least I know the old Martin won't sound $43,000 better. Afterall, when I buy a guitar, it's to play it, not just look at it. Sorry for the long rant. it does get to me.

oyobass

sorry I'm not an english native speaker so I have no idea of what you are telling me

I have to explain this better...
I've always been a "one thing man": one dog, one car, one motorcycle, one guitar. I just like it this way, I don't need 20 guitars.
I sold all my guitars and got one that impressed me deeply, a PRS Private Stock.

But now there is the desire to attend this course and it seems stupid to me to spend 5000€ to buy a PRS Core or even "only" 1200€ for a Fender USA when I need it 1 hour per week. So the idea of an Harley Benton come up...
If you get a Harley Benton and get a good setup/fret work on it, it could be an adequate stand-in for that beautiful PRS. It will be like a cheap print standing in for the Mona Lisa, but workable.

DarrellM5

I would take my insured, expensive instrument to gigs and classes but not if it was causing me any kind of stress or worry.

I wear nice watches and take fairly expensive guitars with me on some occasions. They're all insured, I stay vigilant and I carry another fairly expensive item in a concealed holster.

'63-Strat

I do have to say I think you guys are *hilarious* suggesting harley bentons to a guy that has a 20k guitar. I hope he buys one and sets it on fire just to make people here cry lol.

Surfreak

'63-Strat

The OP suggested it. Sensible choice, all considered.

He also mentioned buying a PRS core or US fender. HB is fine if that's what you can afford. But to go from a PRS private stock to absolute bottom of the barrel is ridiculous and will feel like trash in comparison.

alex1fly

You want to have a good guitar that you enjoy for your classes. Last thing you need is to fight a poor instrument or an instrument with a poor setup when you're trying to learn. Go to guitar shops, play every guitar, and buy one that feels great - then take that one to University and play your 20k guitar at home.

milli vanilli

Rough one no right answer. Can always get a cheap guitar for practice at the school, save the pricey one for another time. Me? I’d sell it, buy a pointy, and spend the $18,000 remaining on hookers and beer.

Fo0zle

Silver Supporting Member
Best option is to get a nondescript hard case or Mono gig bag to carry it in so nobody can tell you’re carrying something expensive on your walks.

But yeah I’ll echo what others have said. You bought the guitar to play it. Would be a shame to leave it at home.

I’m a guitar guy and a pocket knife / EDC guy. My motto is always “if I’m too afraid to carry it out of the house I need to sell it” because at that point it isn’t worth as much as the money you could have by selling it.

I try to get as much joy as possible for the money I’m able to spend. It’s feasible to get 30k worth of joy out of a guitar but not if it gets left at home when it counts!

For that amount of money you could have multiple VERY nice entire rigs of different styles that you wouldn’t be afraid to gig or take out.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom