Solving a weight/volume problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Zimzaladim, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Zimzaladim

Zimzaladim Member

Hi,
    This is my first time posting on the forum, hope this is in the right place. I have a particular problem that I'm looking to get opinions about. I live in Angola, and have been jamming with friends for the last year with a Line6 Amplifi 75. It has been fine, but we had a gig and after pushing the amp at 75% for awhile it sounds like a mess. I'm looking to do a shopping trip this summer to get a new set up that I can take back in a suitcase.
    So here are my parameters
    I can't take anything too heavy, as its got to fit in a suitcase.
    I will be playing mostly with 1 or 2 other guitars on stage (+drums/bass)
    I will need to be able to practice at home without going deaf and creating chaos
    If I end up gigging, I cannot rely on being able to mic the amp
    I'll end up spending around $1000

Here are a two possible solutions
    1. I bring a small tube head like a Peavey Valveking (20/5/1 watts) or a Panama Shaman, and bring a high sensitivity speaker to build a 1x12 cab. Maybe a boss ME80 or PodHD500x for effects(skipping the modeling).

2. I bring a tiny solid state like the Quilter Toneblock 200 (4 pounds!) and a speaker to make a cab, and a multi effects board.

I haven't had a tube amp before, so I was hoping to make that work, but since most of the multi effects do modeling anyway, then perhaps I might as well keep it digital.

Also (and this is why I'm posting in amp/cab) if I build a cabinet that's going to run a model, do I need a speaker that is specifically for guitar cabs, or just any speaker that handles the appropriate range of frequencies?

If I go with a 20 watt tube amp is that going to give me enough clean headroom for outdoor gigs, or large halls?

2. 8len8

8len8 Member

In your situation I'd stick with a solid state or modeling amp.

How big is the suitcase you mention?

3. dconeill

dconeill Member

Some things to consider:
    • If your 75 watt amp doesn't do what you need, why do you think a 20 watt amp would be sufficient?
    • Do you really expect that a 20-watt (or 75-watt, or 200-watt) amp through a single 12" speaker would be sufficient to handle an outdoor gig without micing?
    • Do you really expect a suitcase to provide enough protection to ship an amp via airline as checked baggage? It won't. This is what they make ATA cases for.
    • You have to add the cost of your trip to the cost of the gear you intend to purchase. Say you're going to London or Tokyo, expecting to find what you're looking for. Suddenly your $1000 amp and speaker purchase is $4000 or possibly significantly more.
    • Since you appear to believe that a 20-watt amp through a 12" speaker will be sufficient for an outdoor gig, or a large room without micing I'm not sure you understand what "clean headroom" means.
    • Your statement that "I will need to be able to practice at home without going deaf ..." reinforces my perception that you don't really know what clean headroom is.
    • The main reason for the size and weight restriction seems to be the constraints of the trip home. Appears like a false criterion to me - they can ship these things, you know? Even if you take the trip, you can still have the thing shipped.
    • Apparently after one gig you want to spend several kilobucks on new kit "[in case] I end up gigging ...". This strikes me as excessively optimistic.
    • Small, light, loud, clean amps aren't exactly thick on the ground. You would have trouble finding, say, a Quilter ProBlock on a random trip to a random city.
    • Small, light, loud, clean tube amps are even more rare, maybe as rare as unicorns.
    I think you might be better off buying a mainstream amp from someone who will ship internationally and will allow returns. Even if you have to pay return shipping, this would be significantly cheaper than a trip.

I suggest you identify an amp that you think would do much of what you want and just buy it from a reputable dealer who will ship it properly. Part of that is to figure out what sound you're looking for at what volume. Maybe a Fender Twin Reverb would do the job, maybe a Quilter Steelaire or Aviator 1x12 would, maybe a Henriksen JazzAmp is what you want (probably not). Maybe your ticket to happiness is two Roland Cube 80s.

i think you need to think it through more completely before you drop the cash on a trip.

4. Zimzaladim

Zimzaladim Member

Thanks for the initial responses,
    A clarification or two might help on my part. Shipping is not an option to Angola (as generally shipments either aren't made, take 6-8 months, or get held up indefinitely at customs)
    Also, I will already be travelling over the summer, so there is no additional cost for flights.

I also admit ignorance about most of this, as my impressions are from reading what I have found online and not from any personal experience. Although I've played guitar for awhile, I've never been in one place long enough to try out a variety of gear (especially anything large).

The line6 Amplifi75 I've got now I brought in a suitcase last year, its about 13x18x8, and 20 pounds. Fit in my suitcase with clothes to pad it, and made the trip fine.

Also, I definitely might be too optimistic about playing gigs.

5. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Quilter and a speaker sounds like your best plan. You'll be best off buying a guitar-specific speaker. Sucks it has to be so difficult for you in your country.

6. dconeill

dconeill Member

Well, then. Thanks for the clarifications.

Your criteria (paraphrased) "loud enough for gigs" and "practice at home at low levels" leads me to the Quilter, particularly the ProBlock. Finding a dealer might be difficult, but the Quilter website lists dealers, maybe you're going to a place that has one. See http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/dealers. If you're not going to one of those places, perhaps you are going to a place where you can have an amp sent, say, to a place you are staying.

For a single 12" speaker, you'll probably want something that will handle the maximum output of the Quilter. Eminence makes good speakers, though of course there are many others. If you're looking for a very clean tone, a (relatively) flat-response speaker, the Delta Pro 12 will do. If you want something with a more typical guitar speaker response, there are many choices; Eminence website has a helpful Loudspeaker Selection Guide (on the right, under "Support" as well as an auditioning feature, the Tone Guide and Sound Clip library, also on the right under the Support section. See http://www.eminence.com/. You might want to avoid the Cannabis Rex, just to avoid problems at customs. ("Cannabis" is marijuana, just in case you happen not to know.)

7. Zimzaladim

Zimzaladim Member

Thanks again folks, I appreciate the input. Will do some additional reading up on speakers.

8. blowery

blowery Member

This is about as light and portable head/cab as you can get, Quilter Mini 101 & Panama Cabs 1x8 w/TF0818 (same speaker quilter uses)
    13lbs amp/cab. Loud, surprising bass and great tones. Lots of clean headroom (enough to keep up with drummers easily) and sound good at home at different volumes.

I have a 1x12" that I also use but honestly haven't since this 1x8" is so light, easy and sounds great.

9. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I think you are right to look at the Quilter.

I got an Aviator as a lightweight backup to a Fender DRRI. I live in Washington, D.C., so shopping, shipping isn't a problem. The problem was, most of the clubs here are relatively small and the DRRI was just way too loud for most places. Anywhere I could really use its volume, wanted me to turn down so they could control the PA mix anyway.

So that was my plan. Aviator for smaller spots, or hard to load in spots.

But it ain't joking about how loud it is. I still get told by the soundman to turn it down - with the gain just at 9 o'clock and the master at noon.

But here is an idea. Get a Quilter Problock or Toneblock, buy a 10 or 12 inch speaker and take it back without the cab. Build your own cab back home.

Anyway, best of luck. Keep rockin!

[​IMG]
    This is what I use. I don't take the bottom cab out. But I like having two 12s for recording. Do them stereo.