some advice from suhr owners please..

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by tonedrip, May 9, 2005.

1. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

I am looking at a few used Suhr classics (on line) at the moment and need some input. One of the options available is the SSH p/u configuration. The purist part of me has trepidation(I've only owned SSS vintage style Strats), but the practical part of me tells me this would be the ultimate workhorse Strat. My regular gig covers a wide variety of styles , including classic rock, and I do not bond well with Gibson, PRS and other humbucker style guitars. Logic tells me the SSH style suhr will be a great asset, but I am a little nervous about taking the plunge.

I'd love to hear thoughts and comments from current and past Suhr owners.

Thanks in advance !

2. tfire

tfire Member

What is it that you disliked about the humbucker-equipped guitars you mentioned? If it was the humbucker itself, then you'll maybe not like one in a Suhr, even though Suhr's pickups are somewhat different from the brands you mentioned.

And are you completely wedded to the bridge single-coil sound you've been used to on SSS guitars, or do you find you don't use it so much? The Suhr humbuckers split very well, and although they don't sound like single coils when they are split, they do sound good. So if the hymbucker is splittable on the guitars you're looking at, it might work OK for you.

There's quite a bit of difference between Suhr's DSV, DSV+, DSH, and DSH+. How hot do you need your pickups to be?

Shame you can't try some of these guitars out. I think there's a good chance that you'd find the HSS format, especially with the Suhr pickups, would enable you to cover a lot of different sounds.

3. empty71

empty71 Member

Not a Suhr owner yet but here's a suggestion. You can go with the SSS style and install a humbucking single coil like the Duncan JB Jr ala Tyler's Psychedelic Vomit models or Screamin' Demon.

Given it won't sound like a "true" single coil but it;ll be close enough.

4. 3Sides

3Sides Member

Or you can just go with the S-S-H and if you don't like it, get a new pick guard and another single coil and switch to a S-S-S and have a superb vintage Strat sound instead.

5. oscar100

oscar100 Supporting Member

BUY ONE

teh best strats type gtrs out there to my mind

teh bridge H if its a dsv sounds really and teh vlp60 sc pickups are my favorite out of everything, fraslin incl

tehy have a warmth and resonance missing from alot of sc

so go ahead

do it

:dude

6. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

Thanks everyone. Great suggestions and points to ponder.

One particular Suhr I am eyeballing at the moment, has 2 v60lps, and a DSH in the bridge. I don't know the difference between the DSH and DSV/DSV+. I'll do some research, and welcome any insights y'all may have. Also this guitar has an Ash body with a maple neck. Could be quite bright sounding, perhaps in a good way. ?

I am familiar with the v60lps . I upgraded a Strat with a complete pickguard assembly from Acme, and I really like these pickups. I'm getting the feeling I can't go wrong with any Suhr I may pick.

I feel a plunge coming on ! :dude

7. oscar100

oscar100 Supporting Member

dsv + is hotter

dsv is vintage

dscv is really good!

8. tfire

tfire Member

If you're happy with the V60s, then you really can't go wrong with a Suhr. If the DSH is too hot for your tastes, a DSV would be an easy swap-in. Ash with maple should have a nice lively ring to it - but not too bright.

9. Tim

Tim Silver Supporting Member

10. jero

jero Member

tonedrip,

I went through the same process when buying my Suhr Classic. On the one hand I wanted a classis SSS strat, on the other hand the versatility of the HSS configuration was quite appealing.

I tested a few Suhrs with either SSS or HSS configuration (DSV), and ended up with the SSS. Main reason was the (realtively) big volume increase when switching from the middle or neck bickup to the DSV humbucker, something that I really don't like. Might be a personal thing though.

11. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

Thanks jero,

This has crossed my mind. I recall playing a Lonestar strat that had that issue.

Well the two Suhrs I was considering sold last night. Obviously I gotta move fast. I suppose I'll post in the wanted section.

12. Tim

Tim Silver Supporting Member

Was that with the V54s or the V60 singles??

13. jero

jero Member

the single coils were v60lp's

14. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

not to state the obvious - but buy a good used one at a good price - play it for 3 to 6 months and if you wnat different PUs , trade it off, at little or no cost