Some AX8 Fun

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Will Chen, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Had some free time to experiment with the AX8, dialed in a fairly convincing faux acoustic. This was recorded with a Foto Flame Tele using the neck (strat) pickup and the looper in a single take.

Also a little fun trying to emulate some Jack White stuff. Some pitch stuff and fuzzy zaniness.

2. The Hoff

The Hoff Member

Seriously good stuff. Sharing the patches?

Will Chen likes this.
  3. benifin

benifin Supporting Member

Wow ..... that nylon'y sounding " acoustic " sounds great ...... probably best Axe "acoustic" Ive heard ..... use that in a live band situation and I doubt I would be able to tell the difference :)

Preset please !!! :) :) :)

Will Chen likes this.
  4. acroberts

acroberts Member

Would LOVE to see that Jack White patch!

Will Chen likes this.
  5. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Will, I really love both of those tones & it's so cool that they are exact opposites too.

The clean "Always w/ you" is just stellar on all levels & the 2nd part of the White Stripes tune was spot on.

Both unique tones that I haven't heard anyone do on the AX8 yet.

A++

Peace! X-Mann

Will Chen likes this.
  6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Very nice stuff. I find the faux-nylon acoustic thing pretty easy to dial in on just about any modeler that let's you use IR's (you could even do it great on the Boss GT series with their acoustic simulators). For some reason, a steel string acoustic sound is trickier for me.

And the Jack White also sounds great. It would be interesting to know your signal chain. I've found that for ******, spitty fuzzed-out stuff, it works best with the Fuzz as the very first thing in the chain. But I'm sure there's more than one way to skin that cat.
    -
    Austin

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Will Chen likes this.
  7. Flying_V1968

Flying_V1968 Member

8. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Thanks all, for those asking the patches are here

Acoustic, I attempted to emulate an acoustic's recording path as such the cab is the first thing in the chain followed by the amp set to tube pre.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/taylor-acoustic-irs.117476/page-2#post-1410037

Jack White, this one actually has 4 scenes 3 of which are in the clip: Scene 1 is the Hardest button cleaner sound, Scene 2 is pitch shifted down fuzz bass, and scene 4 is the Orchid sound.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/jack-white-preset.117880/#post-1409866

pima1234 and SkyhighRocks like this.
  9. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

It has to do with the attack. An acoustic has a much more prominent attack transient and open sounding high end which I'm not sure can be achieved with a regular guitar pickup without some type of additional modeling involved. I'm going to keep working on it to try and get a more shimmery acoustic for strumming. This presets works OK in that context with a thin pick, but still lots of room for improvement.

10. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Thanks man. Honestly, since getting the AX8 I've spent far more time trying to do tones like these rather than more traditional rock tones. Been playing with the synth a bunch but the tracking isn't quite up to where I'd like it to be. Probably my settings as I've heard some excellent synth clips, though most of those with the Axe II. Also working with the reverb, pitch, and delay blocks to try and build some more atmospheric stuff but on that front it's often been more convenient to simply plugin the Zoom MS-70 CDR...

ejecta likes this.
  11. atquinn

That makes sense. The Axe has some pick attack parameter in the in the amp block that might make a difference if you use a tube pre for the amp model. Hmm, I'll have to tinker with one of my "acoustic" presets and see what I can come up with.
    -
    Austin

12. atquinn

Woah! Turned pick attack up to 100% and it made a vast improvement on my preset.
    -
    Austin

13. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Very cool, I'll have to try that.

14. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Just upped the Pick Attack parameter on my acoustic preset. Very much helps achieve a more pronounced attack closer to a steel string. Thanks atquin!

atquinn likes this.
  15. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Wait...pick attack parameter might be a placebo. A post on the fractal forum from an admin says that parameter has no effect on the AX8. Whoops!

16. atquinn

I have the rack unit and it definitely made a huge, positive effect there! As I non-AX8 owner, I find it annoying that there are parameters in the Amp and Cab blocks on the AX8 that don't do anything, yet they have them there anyway. They need to clean up the UI so people don't get the wrong idea about the actual effect the parameters have on the platform where they are functional.
    -
    Austin

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    JiveTurkey likes this.
  17. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Lol! Placebo is free from Fractal. This was funny, sorry, couldn't help myself.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  18. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

There's some confusion over there so I'll wait and see. Honestly, I stay away from the vast majority of advanced parameters in the AX8 as they're not necessary for dialing in good tone. I'm not one to suggest the need to spend a ton to get great tones, I'm just in a fortunate position right now to be able to afford one. There's plenty of folks on this board running an H9 or couple strymon boxes with an Amplifire or some of the tube pre pedals with an IR loader which are in the neighborhood of the AX8 price.

19. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Yes, the AX8 is a great unit for sure. I was just ribbing you, it was a funny post.