Some chords I need help with..

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by sanders4617, Apr 1, 2008.

1. sanders4617

sanders4617 Member

Eb/G

For this chord.. I am just playing 365343
    but I really don't like playing it like that. What are some other ways to make this chord?

GMaj7/B

I have no idea on this chord.

Ab/F

I am just playing 1x111x

Ab/Bb

I am just playing x1111x

C/Bb

I am playing 6x555x

C/Eb

I am playing x6555x

I am not use to playing these chords.. I am just now starting to play this gospelish type of music, so its new for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. stump

stump Member

3. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

A good movable form for first inversion chords (Eb/G) 3x134x
    An easy open Gmaj7/B is x20002. For a movable form you could use 7x577.

4. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

I like your notation system, although notating frets above the 10th gets wierd. Here's some ideas:

Eb/G: 3X5343 or 31134X or X10 88 11 11

-3-
    -4-
    -3-
    -5-
    -X-
    -3-

or
    -11-
    -11-
    -8-
    -8-
    -10-
    -X-

Ab/F: is the same as F minor 7th

Ab/Bb: classis R&B chord

-4-
    -4-
    -5-
    -6-
    -X-
    -6-
    or
    -X-
    -1-
    -1-
    -1-
    -1-
    -X-
    or
    -8-
    -9-
    -8-
    -8-
    -x-
    -x-

OK I'm done as I have other things to do tonight.

5. sanders4617

sanders4617 Member

Ab/Bb... Ah.. I play that chord shape some in other songs that I have played. Thanks man.

6. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

If you are playing in an ensemble, it may not be important to play the bass note. If there is a bass player or a keyboardist, they will hit the lowest note. Your strenous efforts to play, say C/Eb, will be unnoticed over the bass player's Eb. It is even less useful if the bass is playing C.

The chord the audience hears is a result of what the whole band is playing. In ensemble situations, I often find it best to play the triads or 7th chords notated on the left/top of the slash chords, focusing on smooth transitions and sticking the rhythm. I like to stick to the top 4 strings in order to unclutter the lower registers.

I am not familiar with your particular situation, but in general, playing the bass note is not the guitarists responsibility. When the arranger wrote these chord symbols, he was probably talking to bassist/keyboardist, wanting to specify the movement of the bassline.

But this is not to say you shouldn't learn to play slash chords. Slash chords are sometimes misleading, making you think you are playing something more complicated than you really are. Eb/G and GM7/B are simply inversions with the 3rd in the bass. C/Bb is a C7 with the b7 in the bass. Ab/F is equivalent to Fm7.

It is very beneficial to learn how to play inversions on the guitar. The most comprehensive and systematic approach is learning the drop-2, drop-3 and Freddie Green-style Fat Chords. This is a long-term project that really benefits one's playing.

Finally, double check C/Eb. It is unusual to see a major triad with the b3 in the bass.

7. sanders4617

sanders4617 Member

Yeah I am playing in an ensemble. I just want to learn these chords for one.. if I am playing by myself, it will sound right. I understand not having to play the bass note when in a band situation, but I dunno, I always feel like I should anyway.

Whenever we go over this song again I will just worry with the main chord. I liked what you said about playing the top 4 strings. I was thinking about that last night.

The guy who is arranging this music plays piano, so he is giving this music to me and the bass player.