Some Different SD Condensers

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by LSchefman, Feb 16, 2009.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

You guys know me, I can't resist trying out various mics. I'd read some stellar reviews of the Berliner LDC that's made in Germany, but don't need an LDC right now. However, I did need some SDCs, so I took a chance on their CM33s. I figured if they knew enough to make a decent LDC, they probably have ears.

I couldn't find a review. I figured, fine. I'll be a guinea pig. Made in China, but nicely finished. Not badly priced.

I set em up and tried a few sources; mainly foley sounds, shakers, hand percussion, spoken word, a little guitar, but not acoustic yet. They seem like pretty nice mics. Accurate, detailed, without that high frequency hype lots of SDCs seem to add to a recording.

I have to try them as overheads, on acoustic guitar, piano, and some other sources to get an idea of how these will work for me. But so far, I like what I'm hearing; they sound like what I'm hearing in the room. No fizziness or tizziness so far.

As I said, these are VERY preliminary impressions. The mics could be great, or suck, or be somewhere in the middle. I'll keep reporting as opportunities to use them arise. I really enjoy this process and will keep you posted.