Some Effects placed after Fulltone SSTE function oddly

909one

I've started to notice that a few effects placed after my Fulltone Solid State Tape Echo don't function correctly. For example, I have a Malekko lo-fi Echo. I've been using it as a chorus pedal, turning the delay all the way down, and using the mod section for chorus. Sounds pretty cool. Anyway, when this is on and placed after the SSTE the pedal barely modulates at all. When I flip the bypass switch to disengage the SSTE the pedal goes back to functioning normal. This happens even if I completely disengage the tape heads from going on the SSTE but as long as the SSTE is engaged it makes the Lo-Fi Echo function weirdly. This has happened with other pedals as well, Ibanez AD-80. Just doesn't function right, the delays are almost non existent when the SSTE is on.

Anyone have any insight into why this might be happening? A phase flip issue in the SSTE?

Plexihead

Most likely the SSTE's buffer is affecting Malekko, I personally would always place the SSTE last in the chain.

DaveKS

What kind of freak runs a chorus after a delay anyway. :D

But yea I would suspect some kind of phasing issue as well. Really you'd probably be best to hit Fulltone up in a email about it, if anyone would know if it's a buffer issue or a phase issue it would probably be them.

909one

What kind of freak runs a chorus after a delay anyway. :D

But yea I would suspect some kind of phasing issue as well. Really you'd probably be best to hit Fulltone up in a email about it, if anyone would know if it's a buffer issue or a phase issue it would probably be them.
I've been trying to emulate a Vibratone with delay going into it, but it doesn't work so well, I'll have to hit up Fulltone.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
Have you tried running reverb after the SSTE? Any issues? Wondering the results as this is the setup I'm considering if I buy an SSTE.

909one

This was a while ago, with one specific pedal, since then I've sold both the pedal and the SSTE. But to my memory most other pedals seemed to work after the SSTE aside for the one mentioned in this thread.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
This was a while ago, with one specific pedal, since then I've sold both the pedal and the SSTE. But to my memory most other pedals seemed to work after the SSTE aside for the one mentioned in this thread.
Thanks! Curious why you ended up selling the SSTE?

909one

Thanks! Curious why you ended up selling the SSTE?
Mostly I just needed the money; have a new baby. I loved it and got about two years of extensive use out it, but in the end I just realized it was a luxury item and it was something I could live without because I'm fine with analog delay as well. And to be quite honest I was getting sick of lugging it around, it added a little extra setup time as well which annoyed me. Also, the warble on slow setting was cool in some instances but annoying in others where tuning was more of an issue, for example on lap steel. If money was not an issue right now I would have kept it around and used it for certain instances.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
Mostly I just needed the money; have a new baby. I loved it and got about two years of extensive use out it, but in the end I just realized it was a luxury item and it was something I could live without because I'm fine with analog delay as well. And to be quite honest I was getting sick of lugging it around, it added a little extra setup time as well which annoyed me. Also, the warble on slow setting was cool in some instances but annoying in others where tuning was more of an issue, for example on lap steel. If money was not an issue right now I would have kept it around and used it for certain instances.
Thanks!

Trending Topics