Some EVH III 50 watt amp samples

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cdntac, Feb 19, 2012.

1. cdntac

cdntac Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqF6HaAosqw

Be gentle. ;)

First off.... I don't profess to be a great guitarist. It's just a hobby and I enjoy playing.

Hopefully this helps a few people decide whether they like or dislike the sounds of the new EVH III 50 head.

There appears to be some volume differences while playing. They weren't heard while playing so I have to assume it's due to the iMac recording or something. I dunno.

Here's a sample of riffs and licks (some quite butchered) played on the EVH III 50 amp through the cab of a Peavey Classic 50 410 (the store I bought the head from did not have a 2x12 cab that I want so the C50 410 cab has to suffice for now).

Channels 2 and 3 were played each with the gain @ 12 o'clock and maxed. Both channels were set to: Volume: 8 o'clock, B, M, T @ 3 o'clock, P and R @ 11 o'clock.

Some 3/4, full and 1/2 volume knob adjustments were done at the end.

The guitar is a PRS SC 245 with a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge.

Recording was done using the mic of my iMac. The amp was about 4' from the iMac and about 45 degrees to its right.

2. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Thanks for the demo. I'm not hearing a huge difference in gain levels between channel 2 and channel 3. Is there a noticeable difference in levels of gain in the room? I always thought that channel 3 was flat out brutal and channel 2 was just crunchy. It seems that the two channels are very close in gain levels. What speakers are in your Peavey 410 cab?

3. cdntac

cdntac Member

Yeah, the audio quality kinda prevents hearing the difference in this recording but my iMac is all I have to record with.

There's definitely a difference between 2 and 3 --- easily heard when you're playing.

C3 is similar to hitting an OD pedal when you're already using a lot of gain on an amp --- it's somewhat brighter and has, to use a visual term, more contrast. I dunno if that's a good adjective or not but it makes sense to me. ;) But there's not a lot of extra gain hiss IMO.

The C50 410 has Blue Marvel speakers.

4. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Have you tried the effects loop yet? Is it quiet? How about channel switching with the footswitch? Is it instant, no delay?
    Sorry about all the questions. I just ordered mine Friday.:bonk

5. cdntac

cdntac Member

No, I've not tried the effects loop.

The foot switch channel changer is fast IMO. No unreasonably loud clicks or pops when changing channels.

6. cdntac

cdntac Member

One stupid question I've not asked about this amp is why the front tubes are covered with metal? So the glow can't be seen on-stage?