Some fine avant garde playing! This is "free jazz", so...

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member
I was saving my final 18 posts on TGP for a special project I am planning, but this had to be shared. A lot of the guitar playing I've encountered in free jazz settings has been mostly annoying, but this is different. Probably due to the leader keeping things musical and avoiding the mindless freak-out you sometimes get.

I hope the links get you to what I am listening to right now. I bought this box set of Henry Threadgill's Black Saint and Soul Note recordings, and the last two discs (Spirit Of Nuff...Nuff from 1990 by the Henry Threadgill Very Very Circus, and Song Out Of My Trees from 1993, seems to have been released under Henry's name) have some really cool guitar playing on there, mostly by Brandon Ross.

This is not for everybody. Those of us who have these out-of-body experiences behind well-done free jazz will just wallow in it for hours.

Play it loud and amaze your friends and neighbors!

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for that quote, HD!

I'm beginning to dig through this stuff and Henry has a huge body of work. How did I miss him all this time? I'm finding a lot of his material a lot more accessible than some of the other guys who were far out in front. He's reminding me of Sam Rivers.

HoweFan

o7yxq67pk1331.jpg

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member
You're leaving after 1K posts?

I think it is time. It is a round number, and after all this time, I think my time would be better spent mining another forum. After a while, you kind of know what everybody thinks about everything, so a new forum would have some different themes. Not better, certainly, but different!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom