Some Girls

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Stratofreak, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Stratofreak

Stratofreak Member

Released 41 years ago, today, it was the first full album with new full-time member Ron Wood. I was 10 years old and this was the album that made me a lifelong fan. Shadoobie!

2. guitarguy1964

guitarguy1964 Member

This one came out before my junior year in High School, I listened to it almost non stop and it's still my favorite Stones album. I'm sure part of that has to do with bringing back memories of that time in my life.

3. Ramboorider

Ramboorider Member

Summer after my first year in college, and waiting on line all night for tickets for their show in Tucson, when Linda Ronstadt (local girl - graduated from my high school about 10 years ahead of me) came out and sang Tumbling Dice with them. I like Some Girls for the memories of the time. Musically, Some Girls and Tattoo You were their last really good albums, but you have to go back to Exile for their last GREAT album. IMHO anyway.

4. Stratofreak

Stratofreak Member

Let's keep the "Exile is their last great album" debate on that other thread. :confused:

BTW, Ronstadt, back in the day... What a gorgeous woman. Mercy!

67blackcherry, EarleG, GFrank and 4 others like this.
  5. wetordry

wetordry Member

I played it alot more than Black and Blue.

e??? and Stratofreak like this.
  6. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Great album. So raunchy.

GFrank, AZJim, Tommy Biggs and 5 others like this.
  7. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

So punk. So disco. So NY. So 1978!

8. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

I think it sucks.

After Sticky Fingers and Goat's Head Soup they come out with disco crap and Ron Wood.

9. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I don't understand the reference here?

johnny q likes this.
  10. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

I hated it.

11. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I think it’s about a milliondy times better than Goat’s Head Soup, but to each his own.

12. Papanate

Good thing The Stones weren't listening to your negativity. I thought that Jagger understood what the Stones were about - they were never 'Leaders' instead they would sample from the general musical culture - and then run the music through the Stones Blender. Some Girls is their peak at being able to do this IMO. It's also their most 'present' album IMO - even Jagger remains front and center through out - except for his need to be controversial on the Some Girls track - the entire album is clean, played extremely well - and structured so that the 5 of them could perform it live - which BTW - they performed all ten songs on the streamlined US tour that followed the album.

It's also the height of Keith Richards stupidity with Heroin - he had been busted up in Canada and was in constant legal trouble through out 1977 - and there was the very real possibility that he might have ended up in jail for a long time - that prospect I think also contributed to the overall straight forward feel of the album.

13. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

It's my favorite Stones album, and the only one I still listen to.

uab9253, shane8, Bluedano1 and 3 others like this.
  14. hatfield92

hatfield92 Member

It’s a classic. I agree that it was the last time the Stones were clicking on all cylinders. Although Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge were pretty good.

But Miss You... Beast of Burden... When The Whip Comes Down... Respectable... to me, Far Away Eyes is the only throwaway track. Although I’ve never been fond of Shattered for some reason. I even love the title track.

15. Henry Terry

Henry Terry Member

I agree with Papanate. I have been a Stones fan since about 1966, the second half of my freshman year in college. I too have always thought that they do an excellent job of sampling from the general musical culture and then running "the music through the Stones Blender." I also think that Keith Richards is among the best rock rhythm guitarists. He always manages to play for the song, not for himself.

16. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

Beast Of Burden is the best thing on it.

Respectable and When the Whip Comes Down and Shattered are some sort of punk rockabilly influenced crap.

Miss You is disco based crap.

Faraway Eyes is so corny that anyone not laughing at it is not getting it, it's a joke song.

All my opinion of course.

Mick Taylor gets replaced by Ron Wood and the Stones lose that blues option.

Ron Wood is average at best.

dazar and lousyatit like this.
  17. John C

John C Supporting Member

Ramboorider mentioned that when he saw the Stones on the Some Girls tour in 1978 Linda Ronstadt came out and sang Tumbling Dice with them that night. Linda had a top-40 hit with her cover of the song at that spring/summer.

18. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

personal favorite here. The title track alone is worth the price of admission.

The song miss you is just a 16 bar blues. It has the same chords as the thrill is gone. I love to call that song out at a blues jam. People flip out. That’s not blues. Its disco. Same chords as albert king, as the years go passing by. They just changed the beat, definitely not a shuffle. I bet it sold more records than the other two combined. Take something old and make it new. Genius if you ask me.

Don’t get me started on the harmonica playing, I only have one word for that…. Flabbergasted!

Is the whole record in the key of A? sure seems like it. Lol. Lets just vamp two chords all day and see what we come up with.

19. Stratofreak

Stratofreak Member

What I would've given to have seen Ronstadt perform with the Stones in 78.

20. Papanate

And quite a negative old man yelling at clouds one it is.....seriously the Stones needed to move forward not backwards.
    They had explored as much of the blues as they could by 1974 - they weren't and their audience wasn't interested in more
    rehashes of the late 1960s and early 1970s. People - and the record buyers had moved on - and there was considerably more
    exciting and fresh music coming out - Van Halen, The Police were rewriting the musical map in 1977 - Punk was rearing it's
    rough guy head - Elvis Costello released his eponymous 'punk' album that year - a lot of new music was pushing forward
    and it's reasonable to say that Jagger and Richards were feeling left behind.

And yet Jagger and Richards (and Charlie Watts) made the decision to not go with another formulaic blues player.
    They went with a Rocker - they needed change - and needed to add to the mix - Richards was in tremendous legal troubles
    and it was unknown whether he would be in jail or not - so they brought Woods in partially in case Richards did
    go away. Wood fit right into the Stones mix immediately.

Again with the negativity. When the Stones were looking for a new guitarist - it wasn't like they had to compromise and settle.
    Wood primary talent lies in arrangement - he constructs his parts with an overall vision of the songs he works on. My opinion is
    that since he came up in the same environment that the Stones did - he was a comfortable addition for them - not to mention that
    he was a perfect foil for Richards.

orourke, nastynate, meterman and 21 others like this.