Some Girls

Stratofreak

Beast Of Burden is the best thing on it.

Respectable and When the Whip Comes Down and Shattered are some sort of punk rockabilly influenced crap.

Miss You is disco based crap.

Faraway Eyes is so corny that anyone not laughing at it is not getting it, it's a joke song.

All my opinion of course.

Mick Taylor gets replaced by Ron Wood and the Stones lose that blues option.

Ron Wood is average at best.
Yes, your opinion, but I propose this, in light of knowing your opinion... Ron Wood was the bassist in The Jeff Beck Group, guitarist in Faces and the replacement guitarist for the group's founder, Brian Jones, that The Stones decided on that held any kind of tenure. How many musicians have a resume like that? To call Wood "average at best" is ridiculous... my opinion, of course. And believe me, I get it. I wanted to express my opinion on the "averageness" of Carlos Santana in that other thread, but I thought better of it. I wanted to avoid the backlash for my opinion ruffling feathers.

Rockledge

I always thought joining the Stones was a step down for Ron Wood.
His work in faces was great, he had cool licks and knew how to get a great gnarly sound out of a guitar and amp.
With the Stones he seems like more of a hired gun and just doing what he is told.

Some Girls is ok, but I liked the Stones earlier stuff a lot better.
I never did care for most Stones albums, I always thought they were cluttered with filler.
I like all of Get Your Ya-Yas out and most of Black and Blue, but other than that I like mostly their hits, Hot Rocks is a great compilation of their best time period.

And, to whoever said Ron Wood is average, nothing about that guy is average.
He plays multiple instruments well and his guitar style with the Faces was very unique, he is also one of the best slide guitarists around even though with the Stones he doesn't get much opportunity to use it.
He ranks up there with Ry Cooder in style, creativity, and ability.
Find a copy of A Nod Is Good As a Wink or Long Player by Faces, if you want to hear "anything but average".

Last edited:

rwe333

I respect your opinion, but totally disagree.
Ry Cooder is in the David Lindley camp of total one-off original brilliant players.
Rarified air there...
Agree that Ronnie had some nice work in the '70s, including the short-lived New Barbarians.

MrTAteMyBalls

I always thought joining the Stones was a step down for Ron Wood.
His work in faces was great, he had cool licks and knew how to get a great gnarly sound out of a guitar and amp.
With the Stones he seems like more of a hired gun and just doing what he is told.

Some Girls is ok, but I liked the Stones earlier stuff a lot better.
I never did care for most Stones albums, I always thought they were cluttered with filler.
I like all of Get Your Ya-Yas out and most of Black and Blue, but other than that I like mostly their hits, Hot Rocks is a great compilation of their best time period.

And, to whoever said Ron Wood is average, nothing about that guy is average.
He plays multiple instruments well and his guitar style with the Faces was very unique, he is also one of the best slide guitarists around even though with the Stones he doesn't get much opportunity to use it.
Find a copy of A Nod Is Good As a Wink or Long Player by Faces, if you want to hear "anything but average".

Man the faces were so good. Those albums are big fun.

cbell2112

I picked this up when I went through my Stones discovery phase as a teenager. There are several albums I like better - any of the Mick Taylor stuff - but I appreciate it more today then I did back then.

I loved that album and wore it out. Side A every song was basically 1-4 in the key of A. Still each song had its own vibe. Ron Wood was a very capable guitarist who brought a more symbiotic to Keef guitar style to the band. Some Girls showed the band more stripped down and rough and ready. Boogie MkI's I think tone wise?

fjblair

Silver Supporting Member
I was 16 when it was released. I like every song on the record. At first I was kind of underwhelmed because it seemed so different from their other stuff, but the album grew on me. It's a great recording in my opinion.

Last edited:

Trending Topics