Some Girls

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Stratofreak, Jun 9, 2019.

1. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

2. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

I was in my sophomore year at high school when it came out and it was the record that really got me into the Stones. It lead me back to their older records and they are still among my favorite bands. I am a HUGE Rolling Stones fan and love this record.

Angeln and Stratofreak like this.
  3. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

I feel Wood didn't add to the mix at all. It's just more of the same. So much so, it's difficult to tell who's playing what since Woods joined. During the Jones and Taylor years, this wasn't the case. The different colors provided by these players were more interesting to me.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    freedom's door likes this.
  4. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Member

Another vote for great record here.

I love Before They Make Me Run - it's my favorite Keith vocal. I think it really gets across the hard times he was going through.
    "Gonna find my way to heaven, 'cause I did my time in hell...
    ...wasn't lookin' too good, but I was feelin' real well"

I love banging out the chords on When The Whip Comes Down. A great song for rocking a great guitar that rings like a bell. Easy, sure - but oh so satisfying.

Also like Far Away Eyes more with each passing year.

I get the love for Mick Taylor's playing and tone, but he didn't look like he wanted to be there half the time - and I guess he didn't, because he quit.

Ronnie is loved by everyone who ever played with him. The dude is a great rock and roller, funny and positive, and just a good time to be around, provided your band makes enough money to afford the rehab (no problem for the Stones).

Wanting to be there and being a good time counts, if you've still got to do another 40+ years on the road.

5. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Indeed. I would spend hours trying to get Ron Woods style down.
    I still like to bust out and play the intro to "Miss Judys Farm", it just sounds great and is fun to play. I would play that over and over again, just because it is a cool sound. Nothing but a guitar though a cranked tube amp.
    That dude could do more with just a guitar and amp than most could do with stomp pedals. Which, thank God, during the first half of the rock era weren't all that common, and distortion pedals didn't even exist.
    I still remember all the guitar work to "Had Me A Real Good Time" as well.
    I first picked up a slide in '70 or '71 because of Ron Woods work on those albums.

That was the cool thing about rock guitarists, it was about who could do the most creative licks and get the coolest sounds from a guitar and an amp, not a race to see who could run scales the fastest.

Also, Mr T ate you balls? WTH? I've heard of mountain oysters, but....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  6. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

I hated it when it came out, but about a year later, I woke up to the Stones in all their facets. Miss You is brilliant, I mean for Heaven's sake, that line about Puerto Rican girls, if you don't like that, I don't want to know ya.

Check it out, check it out, check it out, check it out...

7. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

8. supergenius365

I think Wood went in with the intention of being a major contributor only to hit the Jagger/Richards wall. By the time they got to Dirty Work, Wood had more writing credits as Mick and Keith weren't getting along at all.

9. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

My first Stones album , love it still . A few favorites

10. seward

seward Member

Tommy Biggs and Hammered like this.
  11. supergenius365

Because that's what Keith wants - The Ancient Art of Weaving where you can't tell who is playing what and they can play each others licks without missing a beat.

12. Ramboorider

Ramboorider Member

Yeah, it was cool. BUT, it was in the context of the years when Ronstadt was based in LA and toured a LOT with the Eagles (who had been her backup band earlier on) and Jackson Browne and that trio of acts came through Tucson quite a bit in those days. Anyone who liked any of those acts got to see Linda quite a bit. So it was a long long way from a huge deal or unexpected. I mean, the crowd cheered when she came out and sang, but I think the vast majority of folks in that arena would have been more surprised if she somehow HADN'T showed up than that she did. The Stones in Tucson was a BIG deal. Linda singing with them was just icing on the cake.

Oddly and mostly off point, I've lived in a few places over the years since I left Tucson a few years later. Have lived in the Philly area for about 27 years and in a small condo development (30+ units) for about 12 of those. And shortly after moving in here, I ran into an older guy at the mailboxes, got to talking, and it turned out he also grew up in Tucson and graduated from the SAME high school about 10 years before me. Or the same year Linda did. Said he knew her a little bit but not well, like you know a LOT of people in high school. What are the odds???

cottonmike and fretless like this.
  13. ellis dee

ellis dee Member

mister rockafeller won't give me a loan, mister brown "pm"
    he don't want me back home....

Hammered likes this.
  14. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

Solid album imo. And these videos are gold :).

15. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I love Some Girls and saw The Stones perform the whole album at the old Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ in '78. It's loaded with punky energy, and l agree that The Stones have always taken musical styles and made them their own. Spot on.

Lots of truth here and lots of misguided opinions, IMO. Ron Wood has always been the perfect foil for Keith. Their styles are so similar, and I for one, love Ronnie's playing. He's not flashy, but he plays stuff that works for the songs and doesn't get in Keith's way. His playing on Rod Stewart's solo albums was always outstanding, not to mention his bass playing with Jeff Beck. I've always wanted to meet and talk with Ron. Maybe some day.

GA20T, phusana, Tommy Biggs and 2 others like this.
  16. mark w

mark w Member

The album that swallowed Woody’s Faces era tone.

jog likes this.
  17. chunky48

chunky48 Member

41 years today?

We're doing prime number anniversaries?!

18. Think Floyd

Think Floyd Member

Some Girls was the only Stones album that I ever bought. I only ever liked 2 Stones albums; Some Girls, and Their Satanic Majesties Request.

wombat66 likes this.
  19. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Growing up it was a treat to look forward to a new album release, I could not afford every new release but when I did have some cash, that was such a treat, played the vinyl till it wore out. Great album, great band.

fretless and Hammered like this.
  20. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

LOL Mick from 2:25 to 3:00 :rotflmao and there's two quick shots of Charlie in there looks like he's really feeing good